Observations from a ramp rat. . .

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Scav
Senior Airman

Observations from a ramp rat. . .

Post by Scav »

So I recently took the plunge and started doing something different with my life by bringing aviation back into it. In the process, I've noticed a few things while looking at the virtual hardware I've purchased over the past several months.

In particular, I was seeing things about these aircrafts that before I became a ramp rat I wouldn't have really seen before as just a sim pilot -- things like the look of the gas caps on the Cherokee and what MAY be turn limit marks on the nose landing gear assembly; being able to tell immediately what kind of tow bar I would use to move that aircraft around and seeing exactly where and how I'd hook that tow bar into . . . seeing the metal nubs on either side of the Skylane's nose landing gear and knowing which adapter I'd use when attaching a tug bar . . . seeing where I'd attach a bonding cable to any of these planes . . .

Anyway, I just wanted to express that even though I now am making a vocation looking at and working with airplanes all day, it's still refreshing to really see little details like these in the sim world as well. :)

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Observations from a ramp rat. . .

Post by Paughco »

You need to do an "internship" at your local airport. Spend a few weekends gassing and washing airplanes. See what is coming and going out of your local airfield. Get a few rides over to the nearby fields. It's a gas, trust me. Or see if you have a nearby small field that has an annual fly-in. Not an airshow, but a fly-in. Go to that. I live in the Pugetropolis area, and we have a small airfield on the Skagit River, in the town of Concrete. It's on Hwy 20, a great road. They have a fly-in in July each year. It just happens to coincide with the last day of the Washington State BMW Riders rally in Republic. I stop in on the ride home. Way freakin' cool. Piper Tri-Pacers. Cubs with tundras. Last year I helped push a Beech Staggerwing around so it was pointing in the right direction to fire up and head towards the runway. Aviation is where it's at!

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”