Fix for missing A2A aircraft in Prepar3D v4.2

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Fix for missing A2A aircraft in Prepar3D v4.2

Post by Nick - A2A »

The release of Prepar3D v4.2 yesterday seems to have thrown up an issue affecting some A2A customers.

The Problem
A2A aircraft installed to a custom directory such as "F:/Prepar3D v4 Add-Ons/A2A" no longer appear in the list of vehicles in Prepar3D v4.2.

The Cause
The A2A installers command the Prepar3D.exe to write the custom installation path to an "add-ons.cfg" files stored in the user's "ProgramData" directory. In Prepar3D v4.0 and v4.1, this path supported a trailing backslash, but in Prepar3D v4.2 it appears this is no longer the case. We have contacted Lockheed and we are waiting to hear back about this bug in 4.2

The Fix (For Now, Anyway)
To resolve this issue, please open the "add-ons.cfg" file in the following location...

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg

...Find the line beginning "PATH=" which records the location where your A2A add-ons are installed, and edit this line to remove just the trailing backslash before saving the file.

For example, if the line reads "PATH=F:\Prepar3D v4 Add-Ons\A2A\" edit it to read "PATH=F:\Prepar3D v4 Add-Ons\A2A" instead.

Note: By default the "ProgramData" directory is hidden to protect its contents so you may need to 'unhide' it as described here.

If you have any problems with this procedure, please let us know here or in the relevant tech support forum. Lockheed Martin are aware of this issue and we'll keep you posted of any developments. :)

Thanks,
Nick

gridley
Airman

Re: Fix for missing A2A aircraft in Prepar3D v4.2

Post by gridley »

I just posted this on the AVSIM thread as well, but I believe the correct path for add-ons.cfg is "%appdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4" (appdata\roaming\).  There is a copy in programdata, but I don't believe it's used.
[email protected], 32gb RAM, EVGA GTX1080 w/8GB vram, Win10, RiftS, P3Dv5.1.1. . .

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks gridley - as just posted on Avsim, if you select the default installation path for your A2A add-ons in "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons", the "add-ons.cfg" file in "\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4" is the one which will be written to.

The other "add-ons.cfg" file in "ProgramData" (the one we're talking about here :) ) is used in the event of installation to a custom directory.

Nick

walt642
Airman First Class

Post by walt642 »

You guy's are awesome. Been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Again, Thank you very much. I'll try this and keep my fingers crossed.

walt642
Airman First Class

Post by walt642 »

Just tried it guy's....... No good still not seeing the A2A planes. I'm not giving up though. I know you will come through for me. And If I discover the solution I will surly post it for you. Let me know if anything comes up please. Walt

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Walt,

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties. If you can give us a bit more info on your installation it'll be easier to provide advice.

I assume you're using P3D v4.2, but if you can let us know which directory you've installed your A2A add-ons to, it should help to indicate if the trailing backslash issue is the likely culprit.

Thanks,
Nick

walt642
Airman First Class

Post by walt642 »

"Got It" fellows and thank you. What I ended up doing was to copy the entire A2A_C182 folder and pasting it in to the Lockheed Martin/Prepar3DV4/Simobjects/Airplane folder. The A2A C182 was not there before but it is now after I pasted it in there, and JoinFS saw it and included it in the list now. Once again, I appreciate all your help from everyone. Great bunch of men on here. I will always try to help anyone else on here too. Keep Flying high. Walt (Casper the Ghost) the "Old Guy"

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for there update Walt. However, manually moving files around generally isn't recommended and I'm a bit concerned that some features of the 182 may not function correctly after you've done this. For instance, do you still hear the internal engine sounds okay?

Nick

walt642
Airman First Class

Post by walt642 »

I know what your saying Nick, I'll test it our and let you know if everything is working ok. I made sure I didn't remove any files I just "copied" and pasted to be safe.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Aha! Actually, from re-reading your posts Walt, I see you're talking about an add-on (JoinFS) rather than the aircraft failing to show up in P3D itself, so hopefully the little workaround you've used won't cause any issues.

Cheers,
Nick

walt642
Airman First Class

Post by walt642 »

aHa........ "It works" so far everything seems to be ok. Again I can't say "Thank You" enough to all your good fellows who offer the help. We will fix things as long as we all stick together to help one another. I consider you all as being friends. Have a great day. Have a northeastern with snow coming again, so should be a good day of flying tomorrow. Again if any one of you would like to join us in multiplayer let me know. Right now its just 4 of us that fly together so it's nice and small.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

With the release of our new installers for Prepar3D v4, the trailing backslash issue introduced by Lockheed Martin with Prepar3D v4.2 has been addressed. For more info on downloading the new installers, please see this topic.

Thanks,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”