Someone asked the other day,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,

I informed him, 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'at home,' I explained!

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, & if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

Here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood, if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).
We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 11, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God. It came back on the air at about 6 a.m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people ...

I never had a telephone in my room. Our only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was & so was bread.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at 5 AM every morning .

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies! There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Don't blame me if they bust their gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards .
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :
Count all the ones that you remember , NOT the ones you were told about !
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Candy cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with table side juke boxes
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephones
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (Only 3 channels! If you had a TV!)

7. Pea-shooters
8. Howdy Doody

9. 45 RPM records

10. 78 rpm records
11. Hi-fi records 33 1/3 rpm
12. Metal ice trays with lever
13. Blue flashbulb
14. Cork popguns
15. Studebaker's
16. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,

& If you remembered 11-16 = You're older than dirt! THAT'S ME!
I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

patful
Master Sergeant

Re: Someone asked the other day,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Post by patful »

I'm older than dirt, but never had milk deliveries, though my uncle did that for a living in a bigger city, so I guess that counts.

del
Airman First Class

Post by del »

Ha, very interesting and true. Perhaps in England you could score eleven (like me) years later than you could in the USA?
Del

Bill140A
Airman First Class

Post by Bill140A »

I would be older than dirt +. I even worked on a milk truck one summer. I was the runner boy. Man! Long ago.

Rudyjo
Senior Airman

Post by Rudyjo »

Does anyone remember the days of Black and white television where you got 5 channels?
It seemed like every couple of months it would quit working. You would unplug the TV, take the tubes out and go to the grocery store where there was a tube tester.
You looked up the tube number on a rolling chart on top of the machine and got the correct socket number to put the tube into. You pulled a lever and it told you whether the tube was good or bad.
If there was a bad tube, you hoped they had one in the drawer below. I don't remember a tube ever being more than a couple of dollars.
You went home, put the tubes back in and it worked until another one burned out.
I have never gotten over those simple times, life is too complicated today.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Rudyjo wrote:Does anyone remember the days of Black and white television where you got 5 channels?
Five channels? Lucky! I had three until I was 14, finally figured out if I held onto the UHF loop on the 12" B&W in my bedroom, I could pick up a PBS station 140 miles away to watch Monty Python. I didn't see cable until 1981.

Rudyjo
Senior Airman

Post by Rudyjo »

patful wrote:
Rudyjo wrote:Does anyone remember the days of Black and white television where you got 5 channels?
Five channels? Lucky! I had three until I was 14, finally figured out if I held onto the UHF loop on the 12" B&W in my bedroom, I could pick up a PBS station 140 miles away to watch Monty Python. I didn't see cable until 1981.
Even with 150 channels on cable TV, there are only about 10 that I watch.
I grew up in the Los Angeles area, we probably had more channels than the rest of the country. My wife says they only had two channels back in Minnesota.
One of those 5 channel seemed to have Wrestling on every couple of days.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

LOL, I doubt A2A built the helicopters for P3D. I will test the MH-60S once I do upgrade to 4.2 and let you know if it has their touch since I have 14 years of H-60 maintenance experience. I really doubt it is going to feature ANY of the systems at all of the real aircraft. My interest definitely perked when I saw that in the patch notes but I am already mentally preparing myself for it to not live up to expectations at all. :lol: I'll be surprised if it even has engine sounds that remotely sound like a T700.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Just going back to the OP, and the mention of RC Cola. My grandmother worked for Nehi-RC Cola for most of her working career. The last bottling plant she worked for was here in town back in the late 60's.

At that time the admission for kids to go see the Saturday matinee movie at the Florida Theater down town, was 5 RC bottle caps. :)

And speaking of old televisions, who still calls the television remote control a "clicker". :wink:
FAC257

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Our first TV had ONE channel, BBC. Later came ITV, they had adverts! I remember well the very first ad. McCleans tooth paste, lying in a mountain stream(freshness see?)

Dirt's my kid brother.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

Tug002,

That brought back memories. I well remember all you listed. When I was really young, and obviously pretty dumb, I stuck my hand in the washing machine roller and it pulled me in all the way to my shoulder. By then my mother got it turned off. Talk about stupid, I had a scar on my upper arm for a long time. I also delivered papers on my bicycle. I sat at the table till I ate my food, my mother always wore a dress and my dad had a suit on. Such wonderful memories.

I have a feeling I am losing my memory but having you remind me of all those things I guess it is not as bad as I think.

Thanks for all of those memories.

Tom

PS: My dad was in the Canadian army and got gassed pretty badly during the war. He died as a result when I was just out of
college.
My mother was born in London and moved to Canada and then they moved to the US.
Last edited by THibben on 13 Feb 2018, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

FlameOut
Staff Sergeant

Post by FlameOut »

Absolutely ! I remember all except what I've changed below :

Alabama Theater down town, was 6 RC bottle caps to get in on Saturday morning.

... the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with.... Lord I had forgotten about that one !

No --->>> Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner. ???

Yes ---->>>> Hamburger joint with table side juke boxes ... Ours was "The Dog & Shake"

No ---->>> Howdy Doody .... prolly when I was still in diapers...

Only 4 channels on our B&W T.V. ..... ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS .... we had the U.S. National Anthem, a Prayer to our God and the Poem and F-104 video of : Oh I've Slipped The Surly Bonds Of Earth

You had to get up and go to the T.V. to change the channels.

I really enjoyed your post Tug as well as all the other Old Geysers

Don

Dang it, I forgot to add that when my Dad got laid off from TCI ... Tennessee Coal & Iron , he worked part time as a painter, electrician .... Jack-of-all-trades as it were ... He use to test other folk's T.V. with that tube analyzer machine at Warren's Drug store. It kinda looked like this except the top was round : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_test ... be_testers
Look down at the section of Self-service tube testers

Dad also had a key machine in the trunk of his '55 Chevy Bel Air to make keys.

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

Well I doubt I'm older than dirt but when I was a kid our town still had dirt roads and wooden sidewalks - yes you could actually cook an egg on those sidewalks in summer - and they would spray the dirt roads with oil in summer to keep the dust down.

We had a stubby beer bottle with the sprinkle cork.

No TV and no toilet - we had running water but still had a pump from the well next to sink. We eventually moved to a classier town that had a sign on the highway 'Paved streets and Running water!'.

My dad bought a TV for the moon landing but it's 'broke' after the Beatles were on it! (I think he kept it working secretly for Hockey Night in Canada!)

Do you remember the Vincent Price radio programs? Used to borrow those on tape from the library.
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the post. I had forgotten about going to the store to test the tubes :lol: you always knew when one was getting ready to go because it took longer for the set to warm up to get a picture.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

HighBypass
Airman First Class

Post by HighBypass »

We still have bottled milk delivered to our house... in 2018 8) It's quite common in England still. At 51 I do remember some of the other stuff :oops: Thanks for sharing guys!

The TVs of my childhood were rented - I used to be fascinated watching the tv repairman fix them.

Telephones with ROTARY dials! There's another almost as old as dirt phenomenon :)

When we got our first automatic washing machine (no top loader any more!) I sat on the floor in front of it and watched the entire cycle! (Please tell me I'm not the only one LOL!)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”