Falcon heavy launch.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Falcon heavy launch.

Post by AKar »

CAPFlyer wrote:I think it's kinda ironic that here we are, people whom are enamored by airplanes and computers, both technologies which were dismissed as "whims" and "impractical", yet here we are.
To be fair, it would be foolish to dismiss the technology per se, for this is a mere evolutionary step in rocketry, and rockets are fairly proven as a concept. They did that Moon thing and all, I think. The question is fair bit less dramatic: how practical and effective is this specific development, as of now. Nobody sensible ever completely dismissed the electric cars, and few doubted that they would not exist widely in the future, but it was argued that for most purposes they were seriously impractical, and commercially not at all competitive. And they still very much are both, at least without incentives. Me saying that doesn't say I don't believe in the concept, but that I don't think the current products are there yet. Though their time is coming and fast, just waiting for...something.

I feel the same with Falcon. To really make a big change, it needs something more. To be honest, I see that the private funding model, and non-NASA style R&D may be a bigger contributor if this succeeds than the recovery stunt ever was.

-Esa

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I think we live in very interesting times now. 'Clean' Technology is now beginning or on the verge of outperforming in both performance and cost compared to 'dirty' technology. For instance Tesla has recently unveiled their 'supercar' Roadster 2.0, which still is a prototype but has been giving people demo rides. It will do 0-60 in under 2 seconds, and a top speed of over 250mph. It will be priced at 200K USD. This is how it compares to a 3Mil USD Bugatti. Bear in mind the Tesla specs are for the base model. :D

No doubt Bugatti et al will develop better vehicles themselves by the time Roadster 2.0 is out, but the point is EV technology is in the process of surpassing internal combustion technology in performance and cost. I am sure if Elon wanted, he could have Tesla build a dedicated racing EV, that would blow every internal combustion vehicle off the race track.

At the same unveiling ceremony, Tesla also revealed their EV Semi truck, which a few companies such as Walmart, UPS, Sysco, have placed a large pre-order for. It is only a matter of time before EVs become the majority of produced and commercially operated vehicles, then not long after, EV vehicles will be common place, while petrol cars will be seen as collector and hobbyist items.

Anyway back to space and aviation, I think is similarly true. Space flight is becoming cheaper and more efficient and is here to stay, just like the EVs and Solar technologies that Mr Musk is also involved with. This is an inevitable. Are the claims and predictions bold perhaps a little exaggerated? Yes, but that makes it fun. If it is fun, people will be excited about it. SpaceX could have sent a block of concrete as a test payload, but instead sent a car with a mannequin playing David Bowie...because they could, because it is fun and generates hype...which is great for marketing. The next 5-10 years should prove very interesting from a technology standpoint. I am looking forward to the BFR launch.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

HighBypass
Airman First Class

Post by HighBypass »

[quote="pilottj".. he could have Tesla build a dedicated racing EV, that would blow every internal combustion vehicle off the race track[/quote]

.for 10 minutes. :P :?

Yes, no argument that the power and torque are there in extremely short durations. We are still at the stage where in Formula E for example, the drivers have to change cars at half-distance and they're slower than F1.. Hopefully run times will become far greater whilst delivering performance. Then we'll see more jaywalking pedestrians get run over due to the lack of noise :twisted: :twisted:

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

HighBypass wrote:[quote="pilottj".. he could have Tesla build a dedicated racing EV, that would blow every internal combustion vehicle off the race track
.for 10 minutes. :P :?

Yes, no argument that the power and torque are there in extremely short durations. We are still at the stage where in Formula E for example, the drivers have to change cars at half-distance and they're slower than F1.. Hopefully run times will become far greater whilst delivering performance. Then we'll see more jaywalking pedestrians get run over due to the lack of noise :twisted: :twisted:[/quote]

lol yes, there is still a ways to go before EVs completely take over. But if you consider, not long ago, EV's weren't much more than street legal golf carts, and now are on the verge of mixing it up with the supercars, this is an impressive scale up of technology. Just like the SpaceX stuff, it is fun to see all this advancement playing out.

I think one of the best things about all of this with all of Elon's ventures, he is forcing other manufacturers to compete with him, which is great for all of us.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”