Canadian Winter

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Canadian Winter

Post by Tug002 »

Just got off the phone with a friend who lives in Newfoundland.

She said that since early this morning, the snow has been nearly waist high and is still falling. The temperature is dropping far below zero and the north wind is increasing to near gale force. Her husband has done nothing but look through the kitchen window and just stare.

She says that if it gets much worse, she may have to let the drunken bum in.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Re: Canadian Winter

Post by Bruce66 »

That little story reminds me of a cat I knew back in Saskatchewan.

I first met this tom when he was a kitten and he had his head in the mouth of one Black Lab and his waist in the mouth of another. They were trying to rip him in two. I rescued him and fed him up before sending him on his way. After that he used to drop by for a visit now and then or when he needed patching up after a fight. I know for a fact he would take on Coyotes once in a while - he grew to be a 15 pound monster. The country vets weren't to keen when I dragged him in every year for his rabies vaccination!

The reason that story reminds me of this cat was when the temperatures would drop to -30 he would always show up in the window and stare at me all mournful. The first year he showed up I gave him a bath (in full leather armour by the way) cause he stank but every year after that he would show up when the temps dropped and be perfectly clean.

He was quite the sight lying on his back in front of the fire with all four feet in the air thawing out!
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Here, this winter has mostly been pouring rain, fog and very low ceiling (and thus no VFR). But perhaps still preferable to that kind of extreme winter ;)

Drifting a little more on the cat side. When I was a kid we had a fair amount of snow for the region, a nice 30-50 cm white carpet all over the place. It was always a bit funny because there were no salt spreaders, and people were ill-equiped, mainly using chains or winter tyres for the luckiest (or wealthiest). Most cars were just trying to cope with the weather and many people were giving up, parking them wherever possible to walk back home.

A cat showed up at the window, completely lost during a small snow storm, he couldn't find his way back and lived with us for one month, then just disappeared when the thaw sat in. Pure coincidence, 5 years later a friend living nearby told me how his cat had disappeared for a few weeks during a past winter... and it was indeed his cat we had taken in :D
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Reminds me of when I was a kid, I would often find my neighbor sleeping it off in his car on my way to school. I guess he was smart enough to not to confront his wife. :D

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Tug002 wrote:... Her husband has done nothing but look through the kitchen window and just stare.

She says that if it gets much worse, she may have to let the drunken bum in.

Keep smiling
Tug :)
:shock: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :roll:

I hate to admit that I got it.
Snuffy

MartN
Airman Basic

Post by MartN »

:D I love staring at the first snow of the year, can't do it all winter unfortunately, have to go out and work sometimes :D But yeah, snow is hypnotizing for me!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”