New Yoke

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

New Yoke

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I know this has been discussed here before, but here's the latest on the Honeycomb yoke.

http://www.pcpilot.net/2017/01/11/new-yoke-announced/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... rIOj69dd50

I like the look of this. Having 180 degrees of movement would be a huge improvement on my old CH yoke, and the switches look good too. It would be great if we could map all of them to our A2A fleet. Pricing looks good too, so I'll be interested to see a user review when it's released.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: New Yoke

Post by Killratio »

A new yoke?????? How eggciting :) :) :)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Dogsbody55 wrote:I
I like the look of this. Having 180 degrees of movement would be a huge improvement
Mike

Yes, something that is really lacking in many hardware pieces..real range of movement!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Now, for that very reasonable indeed price, can one expect the guts of the yoke to be top notch? Is it spring loaded or rubber band loaded, I’m wondering?

I think the most clever thing about this is the the buttonage. It’s like a Saitek multi switch panel with an extra yoke.
I wouldn’t hold my breath as to the yoke’s feel and level of precision. The Saitek Cessna yoke also has 180 degrees of movement, and that is why I got that back in the day. But the center detent killed me. And the lack of precision also isn’t the best. Keep in mind that the Saitek cost almost twice what this one costs.

It’s likely a very clever and practical entry level yoke.

An aside:
Am I the only one who gets a certain level of trypophobia triggered by the honeycomb design? :-P
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Medtner wrote:Am I the only one who gets a certain level of trypophobia triggered by the honeycomb design? :P
Well, I had to Google it Erik to confirm I'm not one of the unfortunate sufferers. :) I guess the yoke won't appear to apiphobes* either - it would probably bring them out in hives or something.

As a "yoke virgin", it's one I'll keep an eye on anyway...

Nick

*melissophobes to the pedants!

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

It's the lack of a clamp that concerns me ( and a lot of other people, going by the various forums ). I'm sure Honeycomb will have researched and tested it to death, but I still won't be buying until I see reviews and Youtubes of it in action. If the nano-suction technology does indeed work as advertised, both with yoke and throttle quadrant, then they shall have my custom. But not until the pudding has been eaten.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Paul K wrote:It's the lack of a clamp that concerns me ( and a lot of other people, going by the various forums ). I'm sure Honeycomb will have researched and tested it to death, but I still won't be buying until I see reviews and Youtubes of it in action. If the nano-suction technology does indeed work as advertised, both with yoke and throttle quadrant, then they shall have my custom. But not until the pudding has been eaten.
As for the waiting until "the pudding is devoured" I agree.
If I were in the market for a new yoke I would want to see how the yoke works in action - a review about the potential center detent, and what sort of movement it has - sticky or smooth, long or short elevator axis.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I am not a yoke guy as a rule, I have owned a CH and a saitek yoke and neither have the precision of a good joystick. The Honeycomb yoke certainly is intriguing and I may give it a try when it becomes available. What I would like to have is a Brunner yoke and pedals. I didn't even know that someone made FB pedals until Medtner mentioned Brunner in a thread. I could never justify the cost of the Brunner hardware. I watched some of the U-tubes reviewing the Brunner yoke and this one I think is the best. I was impressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMRwEUq8uko

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

dvm wrote:I am not a yoke guy as a rule, I have owned a CH and a saitek yoke and neither have the precision of a good joystick. The Honeycomb yoke certainly is intriguing and I may give it a try when it becomes available. What I would like to have is a Brunner yoke and pedals. I didn't even know that someone made FB pedals until Medtner mentioned Brunner in a thread. I could never justify the cost of the Brunner hardware. I watched some of the U-tubes reviewing the Brunner yoke and this one I think is the best. I was impressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMRwEUq8uko
Well, I can speak to the perfection of the Brunner myself, owning one. It's for the craziest of lunatics to buy an expensive yoke like that, but I haven't regretted a single second.
What I don't get is all the people buying them to have them in their high-tech sim where they fly tubeliners and smaller jets. They are always on autopilot, so they pay all that money to watch the yoke move (if the aircraft has the yoke move when on AP).

I handfly practically 100% of the time. A few days ago I flew the A2A 172 from Lake Tahoe to Salt Lake City during the big PilotEdge event (4 hours flying time). It didn't even cross my mind to use the AP, even when in IMC. Handflying is so much fun, and you don't get good at handflying without, yes, indeed, handflying! :-)
The Brunner is only worth the money if you are going to handfly well modelled planes. The combination with the A2A-planes is gold!
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Medtner wrote:
dvm wrote:I am not a yoke guy as a rule, I have owned a CH and a saitek yoke and neither have the precision of a good joystick. The Honeycomb yoke certainly is intriguing and I may give it a try when it becomes available. What I would like to have is a Brunner yoke and pedals. I didn't even know that someone made FB pedals until Medtner mentioned Brunner in a thread. I could never justify the cost of the Brunner hardware. I watched some of the U-tubes reviewing the Brunner yoke and this one I think is the best. I was impressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMRwEUq8uko
Well, I can speak to the perfection of the Brunner myself, owning one. It's for the craziest of lunatics to buy an expensive yoke like that, but I haven't regretted a single second.
What I don't get is all the people buying them to have them in their high-tech sim where they fly tubeliners and smaller jets. They are always on autopilot, so they pay all that money to watch the yoke move (if the aircraft has the yoke move when on AP).

I handfly practically 100% of the time. A few days ago I flew the A2A 172 from Lake Tahoe to Salt Lake City during the big PilotEdge event (4 hours flying time). It didn't even cross my mind to use the AP, even when in IMC. Handflying is so much fun, and you don't get good at handflying without, yes, indeed, handflying! :-)
The Brunner is only worth the money if you are going to handfly well modelled planes. The combination with the A2A-planes is gold!
I agree ! In the real world an auto pilot is a great device and makes long hauls bearable and could also save your life if you lose it in the soup. But in the sim I don't get it. I personally find droning along on a long flight in the sim boring as I did in the real world. At least in the real world a cross country had a real purpose getting your butt somewhere. A flight longer than 15 minutes without a landing or touch and go in the sim is ZZZZZZ! I do occasionally make a longer flight over the mountains in crappy weather for the challenge. As far as tube liners go why choose to fly a truck when you can fly something more fun like a WWII fighter. But whatever yanks your crank as we said in the 60s. :D

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

dvm wrote:
Medtner wrote:

I agree ! In the real world an auto pilot is a great device and makes long hauls bearable and could also save your life if you lose it in the soup. But in the sim I don't get it. I personally find droning along on a long flight in the sim boring as I did in the real world. At least in the real world a cross country had a real purpose getting your butt somewhere. A flight longer than 15 minutes without a landing or touch and go in the sim is ZZZZZZ! I do occasionally make a longer flight over the mountains in crappy weather for the challenge. As far as tube liners go why choose to fly a truck when you can fly something more fun like a WWII fighter. But whatever yanks your crank as we said in the 60s. :D
This has been a pet peeve of mine for eons. Naturally as a flight instructor I have a huge interest in realism and especially in the use of the sim as an educational tool. Even in real life I seldom used the auto-pilot for anything but enroute flying. Using the AP for approaches is literally throwing away time that could be better used for training.
Automation in airplanes is fine but when we start relying on it ALL THE TIME to relieve us from having to manually fly the aircraft there is simply no way that we can maintain a high degree of training readiness as that pertains to dealing with inflight issues that might occur when all the goodies go south on us and we are left to solve the issue manually.
And I agree as well that using the sim with AP engaged is about as interesting as watching grass grow on the front lawn.
Dudley Henriques

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: This has been a pet peeve of mine for eons. Naturally as a flight instructor I have a huge interest in realism and especially in the use of the sim as an educational tool. Even in real life I seldom used the auto-pilot for anything but enroute flying. Using the AP for approaches is literally throwing away time that could be better used for training.
Automation in airplanes is fine but when we start relying on it ALL THE TIME to relieve us from having to manually fly the aircraft there is simply no way that we can maintain a high degree of training readiness as that pertains to dealing with inflight issues that might occur when all the goodies go south on us and we are left to solve the issue manually.
And I agree as well that using the sim with AP engaged is about as interesting as watching grass grow on the front lawn.
Dudley Henriques
And don't we all have a little laugh when/if we watch a YouTube video of someone sim-flying a long haul tubeliner on autopilot, just to "take positive control, by god - because I'm a pilot don'tcha know" on a one mile final and mess up an otherwise stable approach (and of course making remarks on the crosswind). I do laugh. And cringe.

For me the fun is the flying, and a decent yoke (doesn't have to be a Brunner - my Saitek Cessna yoke was fine) gets you the hands on aspect that gives the feeling of control. Coming from a 5 hour autopilot-flight and then handflying, cold (both literally and mentally), from minimums is a recipe for dis..... , well.... hmm. At the very least recipe for me getting a good laugh. (and that cringe)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Killratio wrote:A new yoke?????? How eggciting :) :) :)
Hanging out for Easter, are you?? Luckily for you, the shops are full of hot cross buns and easter eggs already, so you can stock up before your nightly forage. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Dogsbody55 wrote:
Killratio wrote:A new yoke?????? How eggciting :) :) :)
Hanging out for Easter, are you?? Luckily for you, the shops are full of hot cross buns and easter eggs already, so you can stock up before your nightly forage. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Mike

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

An interesting thing I am seeing when I researched some Yokes Y'all {southern for You all} recommended in a different post, was the inclusion of elastic straps for the retention springs. It will be interesting to see if the 'honeycomb' yoke has the same type of mechanism. I have mixed feelings about having an elastic band as it could degrade over the life of the yoke and cause a more sloppy feel 4+ years down the line.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”