New rudder pedals - learning how to fly all over again

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
j9murphy
Airman Basic

Re: New rudder pedals - learning how to fly all over again

Post by j9murphy »

dvm wrote:Unfortunately most of the pedals out there are designed to place your feet on the pedals which is of course not how one uses rudder pedals in the real world which Dudley described. Some of the German war birds had pedals that you placed your entire foot on and actually had straps to hold your feet place but that configuration is not very common. I have always modified my flight sim pedals so I can use them correctly. Even my MFG crosswind pedals had to be modified with new pedals so I could use them correctly comfortably. You can adjust the angle of the crosswind pedals out of the box so you can use the balls of your feet when flying and then slide your feet up when taxing but the bottom of the pedal is still too close to the floor and you have the heal stop cutting into your feet unless you fly with combat boots. I even discussed this with the creator of the Crosswind pedals and he indicated he had considered this configuration early on but went with the current layout. He also mentioned it might be considered for an option someday. Every improvement to the ergonomics of your controls will payoff with more precision. You can usually modify existing pedals by making a block to modify the bottom end of the pedal and mount the pedal assembly in a more vertical position or as I did with my crosswinds make new pedals. In my opinion the crosswinds with the new pedals is as good as it gets So if you have pedals you might consider improving the ergonomics with some simple changes as in the attached photos. Creating your own stuff is also fun.

Do you have the dimensions of the shortened pedals you made from the laminate for your crosswind pedals? I would love to make a pair of my own.

John

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”