If I could create one piece of hardware...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

If I could create one piece of hardware...

Post by Kilstorm »

If I could create one piece of hardware, it wouldnt be any type of surface controller. No instead it would be geared to Accusim. What I would love to have is a small little device that one could mount somewhere in a simpit to feel wind moving by the fan that would be part of the device. It would interface with A2A planes and read the cabin temperature and would blow air based off of that info. Thats it. Just a simple device to provided a feel for Freezing, Cold, Cool, Nice, Warm and Hot.

I dont mind using the Pilots notes page and the OAT temp gauge to get an idea of how to set the v/c controls to try and achieve a cool to warm setting but since A2A goes through all the coding to simulate that, I think it would be a nice addition to the simpit to have.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

MX-Leader
Airman First Class

Re: If I could create one piece of hardware...

Post by MX-Leader »

In the cub when I use Track IR and stick my head out the open door would it blast me in the face?

This would definetely make my suggestion for a 2-hole biplane awesome! Great Lakes 2T, Waco, or Stearman please.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Great idea it could be done too :D
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Reading the opening post I wasn't that convinced to start with. The idea reminded me of those '4D Cinemas' where they blow wind in your face and tickle your ankles. But I always thought it was a shame that there's no way to feel if it's too hot or too cold in the cabin though as in the real world you'd just know whereas here the only way other than the instruments is COTS. I quite like your idea. Presumably a simple one could be made by using the accessible variables from FSX (P3D?) and a few components. If you start marketing them then let us know :D
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Yeah I was thinking along the lines as the same kind of air movements that you get at a bowling alley where you put your hand to dry(?). Not exactly sure what that is for but it is just a small amount of movement and quiet. The thing is, it would require being able to quickly range from freezing cold to very hot and I cant think of any small low cost equipment that fits that bill.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

I have a very basic implementation of this concept in my B-17 cockpit. I placed a fan above each of the side sliding plexiglass windows. I rewired the fans to run at 7 volts so they would run slower and completely silent. Nothing ruins the immersion more than hearing a whiny fan when you open the window.

The fans are connected to one side of a double pole switch under each window. The other side of the switch is connected to a BU0836X joystick interface board and is programmed to open the window within the sim. After I have touched down and am taxiing I slide the side windows open and it flips the switch and turns the fans on at the same time as the windows open in the sim. After being in the cockpit for a few hours, it gives the sensation of a slight pressure change along with a gentle breeze. Just like the feeling you get when you open a window in the real world. The reverse happens when I slide the windows shut.

Now if I could only figure out something to work with the heating system. That might be too realistic though as then I would have to fly with snow pants,a parka and snowmobile boots on a lot of the time.

Bill

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”