By sheer luck I now own one of the first useful 3D cards

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

By sheer luck I now own one of the first useful 3D cards

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

A hobby of mine with Vintage computers.
The video says all but I found this on eBay and no one else bid on it.
I have had a heart attack 3 years ago so my speech is slurred so forgive me.
It's a collectors item as it's completely sealed and has never been opened.
I wish I could open it yet by doing that it would really wreck its worth.
The Sierra Screamin 3D perhaps the only 3D accelerator card put out by a game company though made by Canopus.
The First Rendition Verite (v1000E) 2D/3D cards like the Creative 3D Blaster PCI were available before the first 3Dfx Voodoo graphics cards like the Orchid Righteous.
Not sure but I think the Sierra Screamin 3D came out the same month as the first Voodoo cards maybe a few days before though.
They had about half the performance of the 3Dfx Voodoo cards (which were mind boggling fantastic at the time) .
Microsoft had first developed Direct 3D and demonstrated 3D hardware acceleration on a reference Rendition Verite board back in late 1995.
The Sierra Screamin 3D has a flight simulator in it Silent Thunder A-10 Tank Killer II and this was a special version that had Direct3D hardware acceleration for it so it was the first Direct 3D Flight Simulator game.
Also this comes with a demo version of vQuake the first 3D hardware accelerated version of the hit 3D first person shooter Quake by ID Software and two other titles.
I was worried that the guy selling it was reluctant to sell it to me as it took him over two weeks for him to ship it to me.
I thought that he might back down (if he knew how much it was really worth yet he might have known too) but today December 16,2017 I got it in the mail.
It's probably worth 10 times what I paid for it maybe more too.
Not a huge deal but it's rare and neat to have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkeoGFXqQMU&t=8s
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: By sheer luck I now own one of the first useful 3D cards

Post by Skycat »

The fact that it sealed and unopened is amazing, truly a collector's dream find.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

This card was from the same era as my first graphics card! The nostalgia is palpable. =)

Thanks for the link to your video, I enjoyed your enthusiasm!

-Ian C

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

wonderful, hope you get some good use out of it!
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Hard to imagine that this was only 7 years before Scott created Shockwave Productions (now A2A Simulations) in 2003 when we newcomers later at his forum in 2004 had either Pentium 4 PC's or the Athlon XP or the ultimate Athlon 64 (socket 754) back then.
Now they may seem almost as antiquated as the Pentium (1).
The high end consumer CPU's in late 1996 were the Pentium (Classic socket 7) @ 200 MHz and 166 Mhz and I remember that Duke Nukem 3D was one of the most popular PC games at the time.

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Well the first thing you will need to do is update the drivers...that might take awhile so plan it around lunch time. Then you're gonna want to over-clock it!

Seriously though, congrats. I dont remember computers much back in those days as I got into them late but did have a VooDoo card and remebered them as being the big name in cards at the time.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Kilstorm wrote:Well the first thing you will need to do is update the drivers...that might take awhile so plan it around lunch time. Then you're gonna want to over-clock it!

Seriously though, congrats. I dont remember computers much back in those days as I got into them late but did have a VooDoo card and remebered them as being the big name in cards at the time.

Oddly by coincidence I actually downloaded the hard to find latest drivers and bios update for it last night though I am still just going to keep it unopened and sealed.
Sometimes when you have hardware that old just finding the drivers can sometimes be difficult or impossible without even the extra software that was included.
Luckily there was a Sierra Help website that had patches for this and also for their old PC games as well.
Today I added the link to that Sierra Help website with the Sierra Screamin` 3D drivers and bios update to my video

I was 3Dfx Voodoo obsessed too back in those days.The only other 3D cards that I had were those ATI All in Wonder cards just because of their TV Tuner and video capture ability.
But for gaming it was 3Dfx all the way for me even when nVidia was faster because of that great looking glide API and compatibility with all those numerous glide titled games.

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Congrats I guess.

I got several boat anchors, er old computer systems sitting around. At least 3 of em. One is a 486, one is a Intel Core2Duo E4600 @ 2.40Ghz, I can't remember what the 3rd one is.

The Core2Duo is running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit .. an a processor that identified as a 32 bit processor.

And I just built a liquid cooled i7-5820k @3.30. Hopefully that'll last me a while.
Snuffy

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Snuffy wrote:Congrats I guess.

I got several boat anchors, er old computer systems sitting around. At least 3 of em. One is a 486, one is a Intel Core2Duo E4600 @ 2.40Ghz, I can't remember what the 3rd one is.

The Core2Duo is running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit .. an a processor that identified as a 32 bit processor.

And I just built a liquid cooled i7-5820k @3.30. Hopefully that'll last me a while.
You could sell that 486 on eBay if it's working it should fetch $100 if it has a multimedia kit (sound card and CD-ROM) maybe more.
A lot depends on the components that you have and it could be a pleasant surprise as one particular component might fetch you some good money.
If you still have the original software,manuals,peripherals (keyboard,mouse,joystick,speakers) and boxes for it it could fetch you even more money.
People pay money for those older working CRT monitors as well.
The first Apple 1 computers are worth well over $100,000.
I have 2 of the very first Apple Macintosh computers from early 1984 that I found in a thrift store for $10 and repaired them to operational condition.
They are not worth very much though only around $250 each
You could even sell your other "boat anchors" and might get a nice upgrade on new components if that's what you desire or maybe an A2ASimulations add on too.

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Actually, I'm looking for a local recycling center that takes electronics. Probably get as much from them. :)
Snuffy

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

I still have my original 3dfx Voodoo 1 (and the passthrough cable!) in a drawer somewhere around here. I can't bring myself to throw it away.

-stefan

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Well it looks like someone has offered me $850 USD for that vintage new card at eBay.
I think I will accept this offer as it's quite a profit over my initial $23 investment a few months ago.
Of course eBay will take a hefty 10% fee but still I think I should sell though I am going to miss it.
You see old junk can be worth a lot of cash

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Wow thats quite the find you have there and a real good return investment! 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”