A true story

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

A true story

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Back when I was around 15 or maybe 16 years of age my youngest brother wanted to get Thor Heyerdahl's book the Ra Expeditions which came out in the early 1970's I think.
So I went along with my brother and my mom drove to a book store on South Tacoma Way in Tacoma,WA.
I stayed behind in the parked car and I couldn't stop laughing when my mom and brother walked into Elmo's (X-rated adult) book store (not noticing that it was an adult book store) asking for this book.
:lol:
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: A true story

Post by DHenriques_ »

JJB17463rdBombGroup wrote:Back when I was around 15 or maybe 16 years of age my youngest brother wanted to get Thor Heyerdahl's book the Ra Expeditions which came out in the early 1970's I think.
So I went along with my brother and my mom drove to a book store on South Tacoma Way in Tacoma,WA.
I stayed behind in the parked car and I couldn't stop laughing when my mom and brother walked into Elmo's (X-rated adult) book store (not noticing that it was an adult book store) asking for this book.
:lol:
Kon Tiki

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Did they actually go all the way to the counter and ask for "The Ra Expeditions". :mrgreen: :D

-Esa

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Unusual story JJB! :o
DHenriquesA2A wrote:Kon Tiki
The Ra expeditions were Heyerdahl's follow-up to the Kon-Tiki voyage using boats made of papyrus rather than balsa. I read both as a kid (I actually made a model of Kon-Tiki - still have it somewhere!) though I forget most of the details of the expeditions. The original Ra fell apart, but the crew were rescued and were ultimately successful with Ra II.

In part, I guess it was reading the words of Thor Heyerdahl and others that inspired me to become a marine scientist*. I sometimes think that being a marine archaeologist would have been cooler though. Obviously being an explorer would have been much cooler still! 8)

Nick

*Well - glorified floating technician. Actually, not even glorified! :mrgreen:

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

AKar wrote:Did they actually go all the way to the counter and ask for "The Ra Expeditions". :mrgreen: :D

-Esa
I could imagine the laughing in that store and yes one of them did my youngest brother.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Rudyjo
Senior Airman

Post by Rudyjo »

Hey mom, never mind "The Ra Expeditions", can I have this instead?

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”