p3d4.1

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

p3d4.1

Post by bullfox »

Have people who have gone from FSX to 4.1 without any hardware changes seen better performance from their system?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

chadryan
Senior Airman

Re: p3d4.1

Post by chadryan »

Yes. I get better performance in P3D 4.1 with no hardware changes. I also just love that it’s more stable. I was constantly having issues with FSX crashing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

I think so and I’m using an old 2700K...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

It's kind of a loaded question. You'll see better performance with pretty much any modern-ish computer from an i7-2600 on, with a decent graphics card, most likely. If you have a cheap mobile graphics card, or something motherboard-based that isn't any good, you may not see any improvement, or in fact some worse performance.

If you posted your hardware specs you'd get a better answer I think.

But, if I had to give a general answer, I would say that yes, most people will see increased performance.

-stefan

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I've got a kick-ass Jetline, which came with P3Dv3 installed. Soon as they came out I downloaded P3Dv4, then P3D4.1. I've got Active Sky weather, ORBX scenery, and A2A aircraft. I moved the sliders to the right so I've got the same frame rates, right around 30 or so, but the weather, scenery and the aircraft look absolutely great, and no more crashing due to out-of-memory failures. IMHO, P3Dv4+ is totally worth it.

Now all I need is that A2A Cessna 185!

Seeya
ATB

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I have a system with an Asus M4A77TD Deluxe mother board that was top of the line when I bought it about eight years ago. I have an AMD four core native speed 3.6 GHz processor( which I got for less than $100.00 on eBay) overclocked to 4.2 ghz on the first two cores coupled with an Nvidia 970 (also less than $100 on eBay). Lots of fans. Runns cool. Surprisingly stable. I am running Win 7 and FSX on a 500 Gb. SSD that I also got for about $100.00. Will have 16 gigs of RAM and another 500 gig SSD for P3D.

I have the scenery fixer with cloud shadows and figured out how to make Fsuipc do some basic stuff. I am still finding out new stuff about FSX. Just found out with Rex you get really big clouds if you raise the weather dew point a few degrees above ambient temperature.

I have massaged, overclocked, tweaked, and upgraded this thing until I get surprisingly good performance. But as you can imagine, I am about at the limit of what I can do. I looked a lot at Jetline and would go with that if I wanted to spend the money right now, but instead decided to see what I can make P3D with what I have.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

p3d4.1

Post by scottb613 »

Hi...

Personally - I think CPU clock speed provides you the most bang for the buck... My 2700K/GTX970 has been running at 4.7Ghz for five years - thank you Noctua - and still handles P3D pretty well... I just decided to bite the bullet and build a new system - mainly because I want upgrade to a 21:9 or 4K monitor... If you shop around - catch some sales - and build your own - it can be done for a reasonable price... Minus drives (already have) all the parts for my new 7700K/OC 1070ti come in right around $1,600.00 USD - a bit more than I wanted as the video card jumped from my usual $350 or so to $500... I usually build a generation behind whatever is current to stay off the bleeding edge of pricing... Building a PC is not rocket science - if you take your time - do a little research - and ask questions if you hit a road block - you should be able to build one at a fraction of the cost it takes when you pay someone else to do it... My estimates usually figure I’m saving around $1,000.00 by building it myself and it takes about 8 hours of my time to get to the same point I would be with purchasing a comparable off the shelf system... I’m expecting this new box to run at 5.0Ghz - we’ll see - fingers crossed... Modern mobo’s make OC pretty easy - my Gigabyte boards can do it by changing a single setting in the bios... Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Scott,
I looked at Jetline versus building a new system based on new mother board, cpu, and gpu. The numbers came out about the same as your numbers.

I decided to just get into P3D now at minimum cost and see what happens. Then next fall will build a new system or go with Jetline. This is partly based on money and partly based on the fact that I tend to drift away from flight sim in the summer and get back into it in winter.

Also, I like to write about and advance the idea that you can find real deals and build an excellent system relatively cheaply if you shop around and as you say, stay a year or two behind the cutting edge technology.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

All good and sounds like a plan... Best of luck...

Just for the record - I ran the Jetline configuration tool - on their lowest priced model - matching the products I’ve purchased - they actually have the same mobo - I came out with a quoted price of $2,507.00 - your mileage may vary...

Regards,
Scott

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

It's a big YES! My new Cyberpower Gaming PC is big (resources) enough, strong enough, and has 3 big SSD hard drives to handle anything I wish to add to it. With that said, I have my old FSX-SE and P3D V4 and all the scenery and airplanes they can handle loaded in both platforms.
The reason I went to P3D V4 was the 64 Bit system Vs the 32 Bit system of FSX-SE. Although I still like FSX-SE, it struggles with OOM (Out of Memory) errors and crashes in areas where my scenery is real heavy (ORBX PNW is a good example). The 32 Bit FSX-SE platform just can't make use of all the resources (video card memory, etc.) of my new computer and "chokes" down in these heavy scenery area and eventually crashes the sim to crash with an OOM. P3D V4 is a 64 bit platform and thus can handle the scenery, etc. load.

All of your old FSX/FSX-SE scenery, airplanes, etc. will not work with P3D V4 unless updated. Some scenery and airplanes you will simply have to re-purchase and some may not be available yet (not updated to P3D V4). There is good news for ORBX, Carenado, and some other vendor users. I was able to download for free all my ORBX sceneries and Carenado airplanes for P3D V4. I did buy the A2A L049 Connie and the PMDG DC-6A/B Cloudmaster. The advantage of keeping my old FSX-SE is, I still get to fly my old friends (A2A Airplanes) until I can afford to replace them. Eventually I will lose some of my favorite sceneries and airplanes as FSX/FSX-SE 32 bit platforms become obsolete. A flight sim friend of mine loves X Plane and I'm not sure where FSW is going these days.

All I know is, for now it appears that the 64 bit flying platforms will be the norm very soon. You can grab a life preserver and jump now, or you can wait for the ship to sink, only to discover all the life preservers are gone!

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :idea:

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

Scott, I also run an i7-2700k, but @4.8GHz also on a Noctua. I upgraded the drive to an SSD, using the 750Gb EVO for the system and the new 1Tb EVO for P3Dv4... My first impressions, albeit limited, are that I get 50-60 at unlimited with the A2A T6 in FTX GEN or LOWI daytime with Active Sky, my guess an improvement over FSX. Only time will tell, but I am impressed by the improved visuals that P3D has...

Andrew Entwistle
Germany
Andrew
i9 9900K @ 4.8GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), Gigabyte Aorus Master with 32 Gb RAM
Aorus Master RTX3090, Win10Pro / MSFS

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Andrew,

Very cool - the 2700K’s really are a great little processor - eh... Five years or so after release they really can hold their own... I don’t think any of my previous builds performed relatively as well five years after release...

Regards,
Scott

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

I agree. The performance on P3D V4 is a lot better so far than I was expecting. I updated my profile to reflect my new hardware that I was actually running on FSX for about 1 month or so before I decided to give in and get V4. It is taking forever and a day to reinstall the OrbX stuff I have. I have a number of P3D-native aircraft, including the Comanche and T6, though I have spent all my time in the T6. I love that aircraft the way A2A have done it. No other way to put it!

I am trying out various settings to see whether frames limited or not is the best option, whether or not I need an affinity mask setting...

A
Andrew
i9 9900K @ 4.8GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), Gigabyte Aorus Master with 32 Gb RAM

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

alehead wrote: I am trying out various settings to see whether frames limited or not is the best option, whether or not I need an affinity mask setting...

A
Hi A,

While in FSX and FS9 we seemed to prefer limiting frames - I recall reading a long post that included statements from developers - that P3D should be set to “unlimited” as it actually took more overhead to try and artificially limit them with the included setting... Your mileage may vary...

Regards,
Scott

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

I am seeing microstutters at current settings using limited and unlimited. It is minimal, but I wonder if I may be able to configure something differently.

Early days so far, I have had it on my system for a week or so by now. It would be particularly true to say that i have no idea of the settings yet...

Thanks for the information, the "your mileage may vary" is probably very apt :)

Andrew
Andrew

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”