Where should my main vc camera be in the small GAs ?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Where should my main vc camera be in the small GAs ?

Post by Gabe777 »

I have the C182 and in a few days the Comanche and Cherokee.

Having never actually been in a small aircraft, as I am basically scared of flying (yeah, yeah, I know !), I have got the Simple Camera app and would like to know EXACTLY what the real world view should be if I am the pilot from the VC.

I am 5 foot eleven..... if that matters.

Has anyone got any images of exactly what my position vis a vis distance from glareshield, height etc. should look like, so I can set my main vc camera position appropriately.

Thnx for any help.
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Where should my main vc camera be in the small GAs ?

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The likes of A2A/PMDG/Aerosoft have the pilots view spot on , if like me you have TrackIR5 then once in pilots seat , centre your trackir5 view with shift+F12.
No adjustment needed , carenado on most need no adjustment to pilots view , but if like me you occasionall like to fly from the p2 seat then you need to play about with views in the aircraft.cfg file.
regards alan. 8)

nojwod
Senior Airman

Post by nojwod »

From experience, although the eyepoint is probably technically correct in the A2A aircraft, from personal experience I can tell you that in the C172, C182, Cherokee (and by association probably the Comanche) I definitely see more of the bonnet (cowling, engine cover, whatever you want to call it) than in the default viewpoint ie my remembered views from the pilot's seat are a point higher than set in the sim aircraft.

Also I like my default view to be pointing down towards the instruments a bit so what I do in the VC, with TrackIR, is I lower my head (yes my real head, with the tracker on) about six inches, and I look up to the visor at the top of the windscreen. I then press the centre view key, and now when I look straight ahead, the view is a little higher and looking at the instruments is a bit more comfortable.

Finally, there is no fixed posityion that is realistic. As soon as you sit in the pilot's seat, you will be moving your head around (which is so automatic you don't even notice it) up a bit to see over the panel, down a bit to look at the instruments, down a bit when you look out the side window, back and relaxed when you're cruising, up as high as you can comfortably stretch on final, etc.

Cessna781
Airman

Post by Cessna781 »

Are you referrring to zoom? The eyepoint is set in terms of height and horizontal position relative to the seat. On the other hand the zoom is always zoomed in initially. I always zoom out to 0.3 or 0.4 as that is the most realistic in the 172 which is the only aircraft I have RW experience in. So using that I would assume it’s the same for other aircraft by A2A as well

Not sure if the zoom is what you were talking about, and I am not so good at explaining things.
Hope this helps!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Zoom settings at given resolution relate inherently into your screen size and viewing distance. There is no single "realistic" zoom setting. With regular, small displays, it is also a compromise.

-Esa

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I would agree with ESA as I fly with zoom between .8 to 1 and find it very realistic. I can't imagine being at .3 (on my setup).
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

This is how I do it:-
Go into a square on, side on, outside view, note the position of the pilots eye and ear line in reference to your chosen airframe ? Using the Cherokee as an example, the compass is about level with the eye line and there is a reference point along the wing chord that lines up with the ear line ? These are the reference points I use to set up my views. With my present monitor config (single), I get to see the Cherokee's full dashboard width, the top two rows of instruments, the full radio panel, the bottom of the deployed sun shade, and as you should (unless your extremely short), see the top of the engine cowl. The rest of the necessities, are only one click down, one click up, one click left, and one click right (away), or a stable trakir :wink:

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

ChasePlane has become an absolute necessity for me -I can’t fly without it... You can quickly adjust the camera settings to suit your preference... Yeah - zoom is all important - been using .85 lately on my old 4:3 monitor - always trying to set it for what appears to be the most realistic perceived ground speed on approach based on real world experience...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

scottb613 wrote:Hi Folks,

ChasePlane has become an absolute necessity for me -I can’t fly without it... You can quickly adjust the camera settings to suit your preference... Yeah - zoom is all important - been using .85 lately on my old 4:3 monitor - always trying to set it for what appears to be the most realistic perceived ground speed on approach based on real world experience...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use ChasePlane also, big thumbs up on that one.
Some say you shouldnt use zoom to set your cockpit views, as it distorts your periferal depth of field outside of the canopy, which in effect distorts your scense of speed and position ? I set zoom at 1:1 and move my posiion forr and aft too achieve what i perceive to be the most realistic cockpit view ?
You have all the positional info you need to achieve this, from your external views :wink:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”