The team that searches for missing aircraft.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Paul K
Technical Sergeant

The team that searches for missing aircraft.

Post by Paul K »

This is rather interesting, from the BBC news website today. According to the article, more than 250 aircraft have gone missing in the USA over the years, and are yet to be found. Now, a voluntary group has come together to search for them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42272952

:)

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: The team that searches for missing aircraft.

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Looks interesting and intriguing. I hope that they make some Discovery or NatGeo series out this. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I read that article with interest too Paul. For us Brits crowded onto our small island, the idea that so many aircraft can simply 'vanish' is a somewhat alien one isn't it?

I was reminded of a tale which Bill Bryson related in his Notes from a Big Country. It concerned the disappearance of a Learjet 35 and its two pilots in the forests of New Hampshire in the mid-nineties. The wreckage was found some three years later and this article gives an account of the incident. It also touches on a few similar incidents; particularly chilling was the 1959 crash of a Comanche in the Pemigewasset Wilderness, also in NH. Although, the occupants—two doctors on a medical mission—survived the crash landing, they would both die of exposure in the coming days, long before help arrived. Apparently the Comanche lost power due to carb icing and its unfortunate occupants hiked within a few hundred meters of safety before they abandoned their attempt and returned to the wreckage.

There's much to be said for modern technology such as ELTs and PLBs.

Nick

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Nick M wrote:I was reminded of a tale which Bill Bryson related in his Notes from a Big Country. It concerned the disappearance of a Learjet 35 and its two pilots in the forests of New Hampshire in the mid-nineties. The wreckage was found some three years later and this article gives an account of the incident. It also touches on a few similar incidents; particularly chilling was the 1959 crash of a Comanche in the Pemigewasset Wilderness, also in NH. Although, the occupants—two doctors on a medical mission—survived the crash landing, they would both die of exposure in the coming days, long before help arrived. Apparently the Comanche lost power due to carb icing and its unfortunate occupants hiked within a few hundred meters of safety before they abandoned their attempt and returned to the wreckage.
This reminds me of one local case here @HEL... in 2005, a Swedish Cessna Caravan crashed inside the airfield perimeters, not far from the closest service/rescue road, but it took about half an hour to locate the wreck, which went into pretty bad shape. The pilot survived, luckily not having any immediately life-threatening injuries. Must have been long minutes to wait.

A small airplane is difficult target to locate.

-Esa

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

The only case I knew about personally was back in 1968 - my mother and I were in a taxi in Rio de Janeiro. The driver pointed to the hills nearby and told us of an aircraft that had come down up there some years previously, and that not a trace of it was ever found. I made my boyish mind up there and then that one day I would return and find it. Needless to say, it's still missing.

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

When Steve Fossett disappeared a huge search took place. The search found 8 other unknown crash sites which have not been investigated. Eventually some hikers found the Steve Fossett crash site only 9 miles from the city of Mammoth Lakes and even closer to some ski resorts.

google maps

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”