One of My Other Hobbies.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

One of My Other Hobbies.

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I've seen a discussion about other games we might be playing, but I haven't posted anything there as Flight Sim X takes up almost all of my computer gaming time. When I'm not squinting at computer screens, I'm squinting at model aeroplanes instead. My eyes now look something like this: :shock:

I've spent the last 8 months working on a huge build, namely the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon, and I'm very pleased with the way it's turned out, so I'd like to present it here.

This thing is huge as scale models go, with a half metre wingspan, and about 500 parts in the kit. A couple of things that I'm especially pleased with is that I've managed to make the lower cowlings fit (and removable), which the instructions say you can't if you fit all the engine parts (which I have), and also I've articulated the pilot's door and top canopy.

Here's a couple more shots from earlier on in the build.

I'm sure there are many others here that will have built a model plane or two in the past, so I hope you all enjoy the pictures.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: One of My Other Hobbies.

Post by AKar »

Absolutely lovely stuff! Sweet!

I am a big fan of well done scale models, especially in bigger scales; your build appears top notch! I'm sure it feels great after all the effort to see one completed. :)

-Esa

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Thanks Esa. This one feels particularly satisfying as it was a challenge to put together, but challenging in a good way.

I've started on the next build, and I hope to get it finished in 6 months. But that could be a challenge given the possible new releases from A2A next year.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Hi Mike,

I'd love to see your work, but unfortunately, I just see the word Image 8 times.
My grandparents owned a hobby shop, which specialized in RC aircraft as well as model railroading, so I grew up around both, in a family of master modelers.

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Yeah, I'd like to see them too. I'll have to get in touch with Imageshack and find out what's going on as none of my photos are showing anywhere.

Cheers,
Mike

PS. Typical..... I've just logged into Imageshack, lodged a problem, now they come up. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
ImageImageImageImage

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Wow! Just beautiful!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Wow, nice work Mike.
Is the under the cowling and main office detailing from the kit, or did you add custom parts in there? Impressive work either way :)

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Extraordinary level of detail Mike. Impressive model. I have one Bf-109E from Airfix that I have to find time to finish. :)

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

aonyn wrote:Wow, nice work Mike.
Is the under the cowling and main office detailing from the kit, or did you add custom parts in there? Impressive work either way :)

Regards,
Dave
Thanks Dave. I did add a little photo etch to the cockpit, and replaced the kit seat belts, but the rest of it is out of the box. This is anew release and was one of the nicest kits I've ever built, and I'm waiting to see what Airfix do next. Just like I'm waiting to see what A2A do next :D .

@Will, the old Airfix 109, like the even older Airfix Spitfire can be built into a nice model with a little research. Here's the Airfix Spitfire V I did a couple of years back

The internet is a wonderful research tool for images of these planes and a real help these days for us modellers. Hope your build goes well.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

My compliments. Very impressive.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Holy cow did you use an electron microscope for the amazing molecular sized painting or what.
:shock:
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Beautiful work, my son built his first airfix kit over Christmas a Spitfire MkI part of the Airfix quick build range for the kiddies, he loved every second! 8) 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”