A2A Development Update Dec 2017

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: A2A Development Update Dec 2017

Post by AKar »

Is that so that I need to set this up to monitor Eastern Daylight Time then? :mrgreen:

-Esa

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:[...]I'm probably not the best guy to handle a yoke recommendation as I use a Warthog. I have however tested several yokes and of all of them I would choose the CH over the Saitek at the lower price end of the price range.
DH
BTW, any experience of the extension pieces for the Warthog? For example like such. I've been considering of adding that 7.5 cm to mine.

-Esa

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

AKar wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:[...]I'm probably not the best guy to handle a yoke recommendation as I use a Warthog. I have however tested several yokes and of all of them I would choose the CH over the Saitek at the lower price end of the price range.
DH
BTW, any experience of the extension pieces for the Warthog? For example like such. I've been considering of adding that 7.5 cm to mine.

-Esa
I have the 15 cm extension by Sahaj. I can highly recommend the concept, and I’m sure most other manufacturers make good ones too.

The reason I chose 15 is to have it long enough to be possible to mount in the chair I’m using. I’m lazy, though, so I only put my legs on the plate on the warthog, and that makes it steady.
The thing with a long extension is that you will not have to use force to get out of the heavy center detent that the Warthog has. In fact, you will get fingertip precision and much longer throws. Extremely satisfying and I’ve not looked back.

Now, for that dev update video... Hope it doesn’t preclude a proper announcement video - I love watching them, and I’ve rewatched several of them lately.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Medtner wrote:
AKar wrote:
DH

-Esa
I have the 15 cm extension by Sahaj. I can highly recommend the concept, and I’m sure most other manufacturers make good ones too.

The reason I chose 15 is to have it long enough to be possible to mount in the chair I’m using. I’m lazy, though, so I only put my legs on the plate on the warthog, and that makes it steady.
The thing with a long extension is that you will not have to use force to get out of the heavy center detent that the Warthog has. In fact, you will get fingertip precision and much longer throws. Extremely satisfying and I’ve not looked back.
Excellent, thank you! I'm considering different setups, I've got hardly any sim setup at all by now but having stuff thrown on a basic office table, having a sort of side table for joystick. I think sooner or later I need to do something about that, but I can't have a dedicated sim setup but need to retain multi-role setup, so to say! :) Indeed, that detend is precisely the reason I'm considering this extension, and it also is fairly inexpensive modification. I might very well have one while waiting if Thrustmaster's F-18 stick ever materializes.

-Esa

Marco909
Airman First Class

Post by Marco909 »

Hi Erik & Esa, yes Saha's extensions are worth it, they do ease that heavy centre detent but don't remove it entirely. I have the 10cm version and have my stick sat on top of a very heavy small table, the top is the same size as the stick's base and is only 28cm tall so sat right in front of my chair is absolutely perfect. Also as I can move the table I can put it on my right - F16 - or my left - Airbus! The length and throw however are pretty much like you'll find in a DA-40 or one of those LSA's with the stick at the seat base, rather than one sprouting from the floor like an A2A warbird. It's a good compromise. Regards, Mark

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Marco909 wrote:Hi Erik & Esa, yes Saha's extensions are worth it, they do ease that heavy centre detent but don't remove it entirely. I have the 10cm version and have my stick sat on top of a very heavy small table, the top is the same size as the stick's base and is only 28cm tall so sat right in front of my chair is absolutely perfect. Also as I can move the table I can put it on my right - F16 - or my left - Airbus! The length and throw however are pretty much like you'll find in a DA-40 or one of those LSA's with the stick at the seat base, rather than one sprouting from the floor like an A2A warbird. It's a good compromise. Regards, Mark
The longer the extension, the less center detent. Pure physics. Mine is basically gone.

The only thing is that it is very clumsy to have it on the desk with an extension. The base needs to sit much lower, unless you want to stretch upwards to the joystick.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

Scott - A2A wrote:We ended up making a short dev video today and will finish it up in the morning (Sun).

Scott.
Today (Sunday) is my birthday, and I'd say a video showing what A2A is up to will be a pretty cool birthday present! :D

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Thanks again, guys! Very helpful. :)

I am after a compromise - I wished to get rid of that detend, but I also wish to retain some of that nice stiffness the stick has - even if it is way too light in my opinion as it is, I'd double the centering springs if it was my design! Plus I wish to retain its usability as a side stick, having relatively short throw. It may also be that I need two separate configurations for center stick and side stick respectively. I always wish to replicate real-life airplanes that I know having a good control feel.

In a perfect world, I would be after the stick feel present in F-18 for a center stick configuration. It has good but compact throw, excellent centering force and very fine damping. A great design, and judging by the flight model in a trainer sim, it works perfectly in synthesizing the control feel for that particular airplane. Absolutely brilliant handling characteristics (can't wait for the DCS early access release of course!). Speaking of the stick alone, I recall some helicopters have pretty nice-feeling sticks as well, but I've never tried them in any credible full-cockpit simulation - or obviously in live for that matter unfortunately.

For a side stick configuration, I like Airbus. It has fairly short throw and nice hydraulic damping. The plane appears to handle very naturally as well, judging by a sim. 7X feels pretty fine as well, perhaps a little bit 'industrial', but I guess that is because of its point-and-shoot fly-by-wire scheme. I don't know how it feels, never tried the Falcon in any real sim.

Edit: Happy birthday, BPL! :)

-Esa

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

AKar wrote:Edit: Happy birthday, BPL! :)

-Esa
Thanks, Esa! :D

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AKar wrote:
DH

-Esa
No experience there I'm afraid. My setup is a custom built desk designed with small platform extensions that allow for either stick or yoke placement in the exact positions they would occupy in an actual aircraft so everything feels normal to me regardless of the controller being used. If I extended the Warthog it would be WAY higher than normal stick height.
But I can see how these extensions could be useful for some people.
Dudley Henriques

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
AKar wrote:
DH

-Esa
No experience there I'm afraid. My setup is a custom built desk designed with small platform extensions that allow for either stick or yoke placement in the exact positions they would occupy in an actual aircraft so everything feels normal to me regardless of the controller being used. If I extended the Warthog it would be WAY higher than normal stick height.
But I can see how these extensions could be useful for some people.
Dudley Henriques
Thank you, I see - in my position, I'm thinking of making a some sort of leg support on which I would have a sink to mount the stick if used in between legs. I'd simply craft it from wood or something, loaning the band saw at work a little. I guess if the extension is easily removable, I could just take it off and use the stick on side as I do nowadays. That would go within a 100 € budget - including the extension! :)

-Esa

Marco909
Airman First Class

Post by Marco909 »

Sat here as I write, the centre of the grip on my Warthog is level with the tops of my legs so it's perfect. It means that I can rest my right wrist on my right leg and have fingertip control to a minute degree and there is just enough resistance left in the motion with a 10cm extension. Any less and the detent would irritate. Also with these extensions it's very simple to rotate the grip to the right angle so, if you do want to move the stick occasionally to the right, you can adjust it accordingly. Table top, I wouldn't bother, it would be way too high :D Regards, Mark

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I have my Saitek X-65F that I just sit on top of my pullout keyboard shelf on my computer desk. Works out pretty well for my needs. I debated in the past building a platform for it since it has the mount holes so you can attach it to something, but haven't seen a need to do that.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”