Aviation books

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Aviation books

Post by Paughco »

Aviation book #1 is "Fate is the Hunter."

Cool. But, I just finished, IMHO, a really good book by E. R. Johnson, entitled "Widow Maker." It's about the crew of a B-26 Marauder. Great read. Highly recommended. Too bad more of those birds aren't still flying.

Oh yeah! Early in the book, as our crew is flying across the Atlantic, they are in Gander, Newfoundland. The guys are at the mess hall. The navigator decides to go over to a table where he sees a bunch of transport pilots. He introduces himself. He asks for advice on the crossing to Scotland. A guy tells him about the nice tail winds to be found slightly north of the direct route, and a few other details, such as don't try to get above the icing conditions. The "guy" introduces himself as Ernie Gann. HOW COOL IS THAT?

Seeya
ATB

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Aviation books

Post by TreeTops »

I read a book many years ago called "Voice from the Stars" about the pathfinders.
Cheers
Trev

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Re: Aviation books

Post by crippy »

I really enjoyed "The Killing Zone, Second Edition: How & Why Pilots Die" by Paul Craig. The title sounds depressing, but it is full of amazing information, and addresses many hazards of each phase of flight. It taught me how normal flights go bad. It also teaches about complacency....Something I find present in almost every flight sim stream or video I see these days. If you can apply what the book is about to flight sim, you really step up the realism.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”