Air Alaska Question

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
jayvee43
Airman

Air Alaska Question

Post by jayvee43 »

Hi Guys, Newbie here.
I have been very busy flying my A2A Piper with Heidi. I am getting not too bad, in fact "Nervous Heidi" is complimenting me on my landings. But. I am finding it less challenging.
I accidently stumbled upon a new challenging opportunity. It is the Take flight interactive Air Alaska missions for fsx/p3d.
My question is this one: In their instructions for using their missions with the A2A cub, they refer to a REQUIREMENTS FSX with Acceleration Pack installed or FSX Gold or Prepar3D V2.5

I have the fsx deluxe edition with A2A service pacs 1 and 2 installed. What is this acceleration pack? Is it the "Microsoft version?" because I remember when I bought my cub, I was asked to make sure the Microsoft acceleration version be uninstalled for the service pacs 1 and 2 to work properly.

If I purchase this Air Alaska package for Fsx/P3d am I gonna have any problems???

Again guys, Thanks for any help.

Jesse

PS: The link to this mission package is this one: http://secure.simmarket.com/takeflight- ... -fsx.phtml

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Air Alaska Question

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi and welcome to the forums,

FSX Acceleration pack is an expansion pack for FSX that includes SP1 and SP2. The Acceleration pack also incorporates several new aircraft that are not included in the Standard edition along with new missions. (P-51, F-18 Hornet and Agusta Westland AW101 helicopter)
You can ask TakeFiveInteractive at [email protected] is the Acceleration pack that necessary for their Alaska missions. In my opinion I don't see the Acceleration pack as absolute necessity as long as you have SP1 and SP2 installed. Here is a reference in wikipedia about to differences in versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

jayvee43
Airman

Post by jayvee43 »

OK Thank you. I will contact the author and see what they say. Would you be able to recommend another place where I can down load "pay-ware" Alaska bush type of flying. (Bush planes) and (airports/air strips)

Jesse

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

It is freeware but have you ever looked into the RTMM site http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/ it takes a bit of downloading and reading but can be very enjoyable, read the site carefully because you also need to download their scenery libraries. Note there are some payware scenery purchases that will be needed. The A2A Piper Cub works well in the sceneries and since A2A do not have any faster float planes I flew the Carenado C185 a lot within them along with the Flight Replicas Super Cub.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

@jayvee43 -

Am not sure what aircraft and scenery you have already, but if I was interested in Alaska (and bush flying in general), I'd start with a couple of the ORBX regions - Southern Alaska and Pacific Fjords. They're the gold standard for bush scenery at the moment. All of the airports in them have been upgraded from default. There are also a number of deluxe custom airports for each region at additional cost. Add the ORBX freeware North American airport pack, which includes some additional Alaska locations, and you should be good for quite a while. If you want to extend a bit south, you can add the ORBX Pacific Northwest region at some point.

In addition to Return to Misty Moorings, have a look at Tongass Fjords (from FS Addon) as well. It fits nicely between the two ORBX Alaska regions. Holger Sandmann developed it before he joined ORBX.

In terms of aircraft, in addition to those that jeepinforfun mentioned, have a look at the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended and the Milviz Beaver. There's an Otter available from Just Flight, and Milviz has another on the way.

The A2A Skylane makes a nice backcountry flyer, especially in Urs (maloney) Burkhardt's repaints - you can find them in this thread.

Hope that gives you a start.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

jayvee43
Airman

Post by jayvee43 »

Oh wow you guys this is perfect. I am going to review everything you suggested. I guess its time to join the ORBX family. I just love tree top grazing with my A2A piper, or their Cessna 172 full flaps landings on short fields. I give this landing gear the worst of work-outs. But every fields looks the same after a while. OK. I'm done rambling. Time to do some more reading and make a list of Payware down loads I need. Thanks again guys.

Jesse

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Jesse,

the takeflight missions can be great fun I would also back the guys suggestions to look into orbx sceneries and i'll add in a point towards HiFi Active Sky products, for some challenging weather to keep the flights interesting in the sim for you too.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jayvee43
Airman

Post by jayvee43 »

Thanks Lewis.
Currently my system is as follows: i5-6400 running at 2.71 Ghz and a GPU GeForce GTX 1050 running 4GB GDDR5 video ram. I have a 64 Bit operating system with 8 Gigs or Ram and 500 Gigs Hard drive. I am looking into the prepar3d Version 4. It is top of the line apparently. I will have to adjust my system eventually.

For now, I guess building my library or ORBX and a couple of A2A or FS airplanes would also help. (bush types of course)

When I add it all up together, I'll report back here. I hope my system is not too "OLD".

Jesse

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

The ORBX stuff will challenge your system - it can challenge any system. The good news is that it still looks good with features turned down. You'll probably want to reduce your FSX settings below where they currently are, especially for autogen. ORBX loads more autogen for a given setting than default FSX does, so a lower setting will still be satisfying. In addition, you can configure regions and airports via FTX Central, which is the ORBX "hub" program that serves as a storefront, installer and control center. Some of the features, like 3D grass, are nice to have but by no means essential. You can try them out later when you upgrade.

Lewis is right about Active Sky. A tip about that - set your clouds at the lowest possible resolution. They still look good that way - to my eye, at least, they're more natural than the high-resolution "chiseled" varieties that are available at higher settings. You can also reduce the number of cloud layers - five is default, but if you set it to three, you'll still have nice results with less of a performance demand.

When you transition to Prepar3d v4, you'll find that some of the other sceneries, like Tongass Fjords and Return to Misty Moorings, aren't fully compatible. That's because some of their object libraries were designed for a 32-bit environment and won't work in P3D4's 64-bits. Over on Avsim, in the P3D Tips and Tricks forum, there's an extensive guide by Elaine (Poppet) Dixon about how to install Tongass in P3D4. Follow it to the letter and you should be fine. According to the Return to Misty Moorings forum, they're confident they can transition to P3D4 but as far as I'm aware, that's still a work in progress.

All the ORBX stuff is fully P3D4 compatible.

Again, hope this helps.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”