L-1049 Super Constellation

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

L-1049 Super Constellation

Post by caribpilot »

I know this question has been asked before but I'm curious as to why the Super Constellation was never given much consideration over the L-049? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the L-049 and that was quite evident in the review article I wrote. However, based on numbers produced and what actually still flies today, the Super Constellation seem much more popular. This aircraft (to me at least), is just as important as the L-049 because it was the most advanced propliner of the day with many capabilites including WXR etc...

I'm not sure if A2A operates on the mindset of "never say never.." but it would be nice to see an Accusim version of this aircraft someday. As I write this post, I'm currently in my sim flying across the Atlantic in a 747 (Cross the Pond Event) and all I can think about it finishing up this flight to go fly the Constellation. Why? simply put, as a real world pilot, I love the fact that the L-049 keeps my mind busy with navigating and managing the aircraft systems. While I enjoy automation every now and then, flying propliners or older aircraft is not only an enjoyable experience, but an educational one also. So to Scott and Lewis, how about it? Might we see at least one more Constellation in the future?
M.Carter
Private Pilot

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: L-1049 Super Constellation

Post by CAPFlyer »

The L-049 was picked mainly because it was "the first". It's an airplane that did a lot in its time - before the B-377. The "Super Constellation" was basically a response to the B-377 and the DC-6 while the L-049 was built because Howard Hughes didn't think the DC-4 did what he needed in terms of long range. He wanted something sleek and "futuristic", and the L-049 did that and was pressurized (where the DC-4 wasn't). It wasn't until well after the end of the war (1947/8) that Douglas and Boeing caught up with what the L-049 could do and had been doing since the middle of the war. By then the L-749 was in production and the L-1049 was in development. It was a "lead" that Lockheed would sadly give up just a few short years later when they decided to focus on military development instead of commercial development and never recovered with the L-188 and L1011 being only marginal break-even projects.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The super connie is also pretty close to the 377, the 049 was the first of the historic aircraft line and for many its the best looking before all the stretching of the later models.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Post by caribpilot »

Lewis - A2A wrote:The super connie is also pretty close to the 377, the 049 was the first of the historic aircraft line and for many its the best looking before all the stretching of the later models.

thanks,
Lewis
I can agree with the fact that the L-049 looks the best. However, the other models lile the 649 and 749 offer more features and capabilities. The L-1049 is also one of the last versions of the constellation that still flies today and is still very special. Unless A2A is secretly working on a DC-4 or DC-3, there really isn't much else (other than the Convair..) in the classic propliner category.
M.Carter
Private Pilot

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”