Engine swap suggestion for accusim

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Re: Engine swap suggestion for accusim

Post by bullfox »

Bonanzas have been done,but I don't know of a twin Comanche sim
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

scottb613 wrote: Nice pictures of that C210 - if any of you guys recall Lou Betti (Dreamfleeet) - after he sold his Dakota he bought a C210 and spoke very highly of it - it’s a true cross country machine... Speaking of Dreamfleet - I sorely miss my FS9 Bonanza and would very much like to see a high fidelity model produced again... I’m partial to the F33...
Dreamfleet also did a very nice Cessna 310 - I remember it in particular for its rather nasty dutch roll.

IIRC, Richard Collins (ex-Flying Magazine) flew a P210 and also thought it was a perfect cross-country aircraft.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Further speaking of Cessna P210, this is fine article by AVweb, IMO. I've only been following a single individual airplane, and really not too closely, but at least the box "Reliable?" would not get ticked by me. :D Obviously, planes are individuals though.

P210 also gets some flak here, in comparison to Malibu. What very limited insight I might have on seeing the types doing their things, or specifically not doing, I'd agree with the article mainly, even if the Malibu has the similar despairing look in its engine compartment for even the simplest jobs like some modern cars do.

-Esa

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Esa,

Yeah - read that article too - P210 vs Malibu - seems the P210 was a bit of a kludge to make make a pressurized plane out of something that wasn’t designed for it - and suffered as a result - but everyone seems to love the T210...

Hi Alan,

Yeah - been enjoying both the MilViz and (believe it or not) the Alabeo C310... The FDE’s on both seem really well done even flying them side by side... It’s always the systems details I gripe about - no cowl flaps on the Alabeo model and the typical lack of attention to detail... What’s surprising is Alabeo screwed the pooch on the external model - normally their forte - the tip tanks are WAY too long - yet when switching to the VC they seem appropriately proportioned - very odd... For speed/range/capacity the C310’s hard to beat...

I’d rather the A2A Aerostar though...

Hi Folks,

Back to Bonanza’s - ok - burgundy and silver always look great together and I’m a fan of “factory paints” - have a new version of PSP to try out - so I’m ready to paint:

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by scottb613 on 24 Oct 2017, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

scottb613 wrote:Hi Esa,

Yeah - read that article too - P210 vs Malibu - seems the P210 was a bit of a kludge to make make a pressurized plane out of something that wasn’t designed for it - and suffered as a result - but everyone seems to love the T210...

Regards,
Scott
Yeah, I'd agree with that view. Re. T210, it is not an airplane I think I've ever been involved with in any way, but I distantly know some TU206es. In competent hands, I think they seem like fine airplanes, and at least appear to do well better than P210 in terms of reliability. TU206 just asks to have some floats under it!

-Esa

Rolls737
Airman Basic

Post by Rolls737 »

Guys...would I be way off in suggesting that it could be as much of a surprise as say the PIPER CHEYENNE...it has tip tanks, and technically has more than one power plant option: PA-31T Cheyenne
Initial production version, powered by two 620-shp (462-kW) Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-28 turboprop engines.
PA-31T-1
Original designation of the PT-31T Cheyenne I. Powered by 500-shp (373-kW) Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-II turboprop engines.
PA-31T Cheyenne II
Improved version, renamed version of original powered by two 620-shp (462-kW) Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-28 turboprop engines.
PA-31T2 Cheyenne IIXL
Stretched version, powered by two 750-shp (559-kW) Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-135 turboprop engines.

I would love a GA Twin...and this would be cream of the crop for me...any takers?

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I'd take Cheyenne any day (even if only having met the only proper variant: the rare PA-42-1000). :)

But that doesn't match the clue: we are looking for STCs, not different models.

-Esa

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

The DA Cheyenne - based on the quality for its time, hours flown, and longevity of being used on my system - rates as my absolute number one plane of all time in FS and I’ve been doing this since monochrome... The FDE seemed extremely well done... To me - the Cheyenne is the quintessential twin turboprop - it’s fast and sleek - it’s good enough for Chuck Yeager it’s good enough for me... A new A2A Cheyenne would be MOST welcome and I concur “the cream of the crop”...

Regards,
Scott

aussietomcatter
Airman

Post by aussietomcatter »

Was hoping for a twin but if it is indeed a Bonanza (which seems likely given the hints) I sure hope it is a straight tail. Have quite a few A36 hours in the logbook, and now spend my days flying Beechcraft's much bigger cousins (B350), but the V Tail has never done anything for me.

Lovely lines, like all Beech products.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I don't need a Bonanza. Why buy an A2A Bonanza if I already have an A2A Comanche? Now - a 310 - that would be a whole 'nother deal. I'd seriously learn engine out procedures. How to get her back down if one stopped.

Seeya
ATB

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

aussietomcatter wrote:I sure hope it is a straight tail.

The V Tail has never done anything for me.

Lovely lines, like all Beech products.
Nice picture...

Yep - concur - I’ve never really found the V tails aesthetically pleasing and never looked into their actual operation/performance...

Is there any benefit to flying a V Tail ? Perhaps a little less weight as you’re really eliminating a stabilizer surface... In modern times - single engine jets like the Cirrus use them but that just looks like a measure to keep them out of the turbine thrust...

Regards,
Scott

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

There is less parasitic drag in the V tail configuration. Designers like to find ways to reduce the size of the tail surfaces to reduce drag and the V tail is one such way.

The drawback with reducing the size of the stabilizers is.... Reduced stability. V Tail Bonanzas along with many other types with small tail surfaces tend to oscillate in flight. It can be annoying if one is prior to motion sickness.

I find the oscillation to be more pronounced in the V tail Bonanzas that I have flown in.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Small tail surfaces tend to be difficult in what comes to CoG range. As the elevators, where so equipped, get proportionally smaller together with the tail plane, at forward CoG positions elevator (and trim) authority gets small. This can be mitigated by using all-moving tail plane either to all the pitch control, or to the trim function. However, one ends up having inefficiently large stabilizer angles to counter any heavy nose, offsetting much of the advantage one had with the small surfaces to begin with.

In bigger airliners, the issue often is also somewhat mitigated by using specific trim tanks in the tail plane, which attempt to drive the CoG close to the aft limit during cruise to reduce trim drag. With an empty cargo MD-11, one can sometimes find a pallet loaded with concrete at the most forward cargo position. It is there because if the aft fuel transfer is accidentally initiated and goes unnoticed, that airplane can tip on its tail on ground. Of course, perhaps the more everyday function of it is the same it is for many other forward door main deck cargoliners: to balance the ones going into the tail during loading.

-Esa

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I could have sworn I saw a post last night right after I left work in this thread from Scott talking about the other engines were actually 3 STC approved engines that could be installed in the aircraft. I am assuming on top of the base engine that comes with the airplane. That post appears to have disappeared though. Been watching this thread with interest since seeing him post the first time. Hopefully this means a new aircraft is on down wind for short final. :mrgreen: Not sure what it is, but I think the Bonanza would be a good fit. For those saying it is similar to the Comanche, and why buy. If it has a turbo normalized, or turbocharged engine that alone will set it apart from the Comanche. As much as I love the Comanche it would be nice to be able to fly higher easier to be able to find favorable winds, or get above the weather.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the info on V tails...

Regards,
Scott

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”