Engine swap suggestion for accusim

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Re: Engine swap suggestion for accusim

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I know Jean-Luc (RXP) is hard at work on a Garmin G500/600 - it would be nice to see a retrofit at some point in whatever plane A2A produces...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

plicpriest1
Airman

Post by plicpriest1 »

scottb613 wrote:Hi Folks,

Yeah - I know Jean-Luc (RXP) is hard at work on a Garmin G500/600 - it would be nice to see a retrofit at some point in whatever plane A2A produces...

Regards,
Scott

Patch it later lol! I cant wait to see and fly a new bird!!!

Really though, I think a new Garmin product in these great airplanes would be awesome.

On a separate note, Im starting to believe that a bonanza would be the next AC. Question is which one? As much as I would love a V35, my guess is no on thate one. My reasoning is this: The A36 is similar to the B36, which I flew a B36TC before. All to say that for the same fuselage we get 2 different engines (turbo or not). Now im sure there are STCs on both for the engines. Plus alot of modifications and tip tanks!

Lastly, Scott mentioned the last test flight. Was that in the real airplane?

Rolls737
Airman Basic

Post by Rolls737 »

Gents, here's another thought.

You may call me a dreamer, but i just have to put this out there...what if its a Kingair B200. This meets the STC's requirement...and, believe it or not, it also has the option for tip tanks (seriously, google it).
Now, i accept all the reasoning that would suggest A2A's next release will not be a turboprop, and that it would most likely be the Bonanza...however, its not unlike A2A to completely undo all expectations and surprize us with a plane completely out of left field...the B200 would do that for almost all of us im sure. Call me hopelessly optimistic, but i seriously do hope we get something like the B200...if not now, then some time in the near future.

Some may say that Flight1 do an amazing job modeling and bringing to life the B200, and I would agree, but lets be honest, A2A have ruined us (well me at least), in the sense that i cannot bring myself to buy any other aircraft other than theirs, and so i will wait and see...here's hoping! :D
Last edited by Rolls737 on 01 Nov 2017, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

Rolls737
Airman Basic

Post by Rolls737 »

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Rolls737 wrote: Some may say that Flight1 do an amazing job modeling and bringing to life the B200, and I would agree, but lets be honest, A2A have ruined us (well me at least), in the sense that i cannot bring myself to buy any other aircraft other than theirs, and so i will wait and see...here's hoping! :D
Hi Folks,

I’d love a King Air one of the few twin turbos still in production but not a G1000 equipped one - big glass and countless buttons don’t translate will into models for flight sim... I think someone mentioned F1 didn’t program airways into the navigation equipment which seems really odd... I’d prefer more traditional gauges in a KA...

Regards,
Scott

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

"countless buttons" is an interesting observation considering that the G1000 actually removes a bunch of buttons, namely removing the dual GPS installations, and most have the integrated Autopilot so it also eliminates some of the "mode controls" since the G1000 handles some of that stuff internally like the NAV/GPS switch.

We have a King Air 350 here at work with a G1000 and the pilots overall like having the G1000 over the steam gauges. There's a few little things that are big annoyances they deal with, but they make the plane overall more streamlined to fly.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I in agreement with CAPFlyer on this. Having the fully integrated flows between the various avionics functions is a big plus of the G1000.

There are less knobs and buttons in the G1000 when compared to what would be the case to achieve the equivalent functionality with other glass upgrade upgrade packages.

I once looked at an airplane that had been upgraded to functionality mimic a G1000 using a mix of Aspen and Garmin components. That thing was a button pushing and knob twisting nightmare! It felt like I had to press buttons three times as often for the same results on that panel.

When flying a G1000 VFR, there are very few buttons and knobs to operate.

Knobs
Baro
Heading Select
Course Select
Altitude Select
Range
COM and NAV tuning
FMS

With the exception of the Altitude Select knob, this is the same set of functions one would use in a steam gauge aircraft with a GPS.

Buttons
Swap Frequency
Direct To
Enter
Clear
Transponder Softkeys
Audio Panel Controls

I might have missed one or two in there, but again this is exactly the same as with a steam gauge panel.

When flying IFR, there is a bit more knob turning and button pressing going on to punch in a route, load airways, load approaches, etc. The load airways functionality is a BIG time saver and helps avoid mistakes. You could save on this by disregarding the GPS and choose to follow the VORs on the NAV radios. You also don't have to load an approach on the MFD. In that case, it would once again behave very much like a steam gauge.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Engine swap suggestion for accusim

Post by scottb613 »

CAPFlyer wrote:"countless buttons" is an interesting observation considering that the G1000 actually removes a bunch of buttons, namely removing the dual GPS installations, and most have the integrated Autopilot so it also eliminates some of the "mode controls" since the G1000 handles some of that stuff internally like the NAV/GPS switch.

We have a King Air 350 here at work with a G1000 and the pilots overall like having the G1000 over the steam gauges. There's a few little things that are big annoyances they deal with, but they make the plane overall more streamlined to fly.
Hi Cap...

Yep - I have no doubt they’re nice in real life but from my experience in the sim - not so much - it seems like an awful lot of click spots and knob twists - and BIG glass is notoriously laggy... I seem to recall F1 had an option to turn the right seat display off to save the frames...

Regards,
Scott

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Keep in mind that the G1000 has 2 sets of the same controls on the MFD and PFD. They are 100% redundant!

If you count only the buttons on one of the two screens along with those on the audio panel, that is what you would generally use.

Generally speaking, you don't use the controls on the left edge of the of the PFD. With some exceptions, you will only use a specific type of control on either the MFD or PFD but not on both devices.

You do have to reach to the right to operate the MFD functions and that is a lot like operating a fancy GPS with a lot more. Most of the controls one uses are located in the center on either side of the audio panel.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Oracle427 wrote:Keep in mind that the G1000 has 2 sets of the same controls on the MFD and PFD. They are 100% redundant!
Yeah, as with many such, they simply use identical physical units. It is a good thing actually, for they are interchangeable.

-Esa

plicpriest1
Airman

Post by plicpriest1 »

I dunno, I have g1000 time undermy belt. And yes it sure makes life nice. On the other hand though, sitting at home with a cold beer is nice. So for me, if I want to fly, I Want To Fly! I like the raw, down home, build an image in my head, 6 pack. I personally think a king air from A2A would be brst as a steam guage plane. Plus a 430 option. Of course thats just me.

Now FWIW, yes there are very few buttons on a g1000, but when it comes to functions, Oh My! It is easy to get lost in the functions. Groups, pages, details! For me to fly a sim edition of g1000, it would have to be 100% modeled. That is a tall order for sure. So I assume just stick to steam. Besides, its more fun that way!

In all reality though, im still thinking bonanza or twin commanche or aerostar, with a navion possibility.
Either way, i cant wait to find out

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

As with many things, how much function you want from the G1000 is fully configurable by how much you want to invest in learning in it.

By that, I mean that if all you want to do is start the plane and go fly, you can quite easily do that. You don't have to load in a flightplan or your present position to get it to work, you don't have to use the checklists or charts or XM functionality, you can just as easily start the plane, set your frequency(s) and go fly. It's not like you're putting an FMS-level (or ProLine21 for that fact) system in the airplane. That's why so many operators have chosen the G1000 upgrade over the ProLine21 for the King Air. The ProLine does require a lot of "setup" and knowledge of the systems to operate. The G1000 is much more scalable and can be run as just a display, a GPS, or a full-featured Flight Management System depending on what you want to do.

Personally, I'm going to look at the MilViz King Air when it's done (even with the ProLine, which I have massive respect for that team for tackling). I'm thinking that A2A is going another direction and staying small.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Looking at the picture above, my first thought is "YUK!!!" After steam gauges, it all looks like TMI. I'm sure I could figure it out, and I've seen pilots say it's better because you have more information, so perhaps in the real world, OK. But in a desktop flight simulator, not so much. It doesn't translate well to a computer screen. I've also seem comment from developers that it becomes harder to develop planes in MSFS because it's driven by gauges. Apparently, having them all in 1 graphic complicates things. I'm sure someone may well correct me on that last point and so be it.

For me, I'd rather look at a panel full of gauges and be able to understand the picture from a number of inputs, rather than 1 multifunction input and miss something.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

parachutesj
Airman

Post by parachutesj »

Well for me is the sim mainly a procedure trainer. So whatever you fly in real life should be comparable to the sim. Sure I enjoy the 172/182 with steam, but mainly for VFR and again procedures.
For IFR a glass cockpit is much easier to read and manipulate. But as it is not so much about flight physics and details of the model, I zoom usually in and do not see much except the two screens. Therefore any of the stock P3D planes does (usually take the Mooney Acclaim).
Not sure if a G1000 option for the 172/182 would make too much sense.
In real life, I rather fly a G1000. But one needs to stay current with it or you are lost quite fast.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Well, since there's now not going to be a release before Christmas, perhaps we should resurrect this thread. I'll repeat my desire for an A2A GA twin, but if not, and it's got the multiple engines choice, then I'm again repeating my hope for a Beech V-tail Bonanza. I think that might qualify as, in Scott's words, of having "a uniqueness that makes them stand out in the crowd." Like many others, I do wish we could get a sneak peak, whatever it is, as it must be a 98% certainty for eventual release at the moment.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers,
Mike.
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”