HDMI cable to do some GPU work?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

HDMI cable to do some GPU work?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well I figured this would be a 'crap tech over $100' video form Linus in which he essentially tests snake oil products but it turned out to be something that actually works. Now the price is still a little high but its interesting to see this stuff hit more mainstream as it means down the line it'll end up being the stuff we run anyway. Worth a watch for sure;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJzibFTaqA[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJzibFTaqA

For anyone not sure and interested, Linus Tech Tips do daily videos and a weekly tech show called the WAN show. If interested in keeping up to date with tech stuff its a great little weekly conversation show to watch.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dangerous Beans
Staff Sergeant

Re: HDMI cable to do some GPU work?

Post by Dangerous Beans »

I wonder if it would be of any benefit with a Rift or Vive.

Asus Strix Z270H
i7-7700K
16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
MSI GTX 1070 GamingX
Corsair H100i V2 Cooler
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case
Asus VE276Q 27" Monitor 1920x1080
Win 10

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

I have worked in this industry all my life. This is snake oil hogwash, but if you have money to throw away, then throw it away.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

bobsk8 wrote:but if you have money to throw away, then throw it away.
Nope, give to me :lol: :mrgreen:

Regards,
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|Rex|Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Rudder/Quadrant/Switch Panel|ThrustMaster Hotas Warthog|ActiveSky P3Dv4+Asca|Mce|All A2A

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

This is literally impossible unless you have a broken or otherwise out of spec HDMI cable, or are trying to push a 4k signal or so over too long a distance over a non-premium certified HDMI cable.

It is fundamentally impossible for HDMI to improve visual quality unless there's some sort of video processor chip involved. The cable itself just passes bits. If the bits make it from one end to the other, then everything is fine. Jitter and stuff like that is nothing you have to worry about.

Either your picture will be fine, or it will have lots of flashing white specks (they are insanely obvious) or it will cut out a lot or otherwise just not show any picture. Sound will either work or not work or potentially crackle, badly.

A digital transport cable cannot improve the quality of the signal. It can only bring it correctly, or bring it so badly that it no longer functions.

This is, as the previous poster said, a bunch of hogwash.

If you really care, get Premium Certified cables from Monoprice. They will work as well as a cable can possibly work, and if they don't because of whatever reason, Monoprice will swap it out with a new one. Blue Jeans Cable and such is fancy and fat and stuff but it won't actually work any better than a Monoprice Premium Certified.

Digital is Digital is Digital. It either works properly, or it works in an obviously broken way.

-stefan

Edit: I didn't watch the video, because these are all bunk. It's possible that it has something like a Darbee video processor or something similar, which may subjectively look better depending on who views it. A lot of high end receivers and blu ray/UHD players have something like this built in already. Not to mention high end TVs, although you're still generally better turning most of that crap off anywhere past the Blu Ray player.

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

It does have a small inline video processor. Really it should be called that, and not an HDMI cable.

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

molleh wrote:It does have a small inline video processor. Really it should be called that, and not an HDMI cable.
Ok, that makes some sense then. But if you're the sort of person that wants that sort of thing, you probably already have an Oppo Blu-Ray/UDP player or like at least an Onkyo or Marantz something or other for a receiver. Those have a pretty nice video processor in them.

If you're playing games you want that all turned off anyways, i.e. Game Mode, because trying to play with 100ms display lag is really frustrating and un-fun.

The audience for this cable is extremely limited, consisting of people who

1.) don't game
2.) are willing to invest $150 in an HDMI cable but not $500 into a Blu-Ray/UHD player, to get the ultimate best quality out of their Amazon FireTV.
3.) use a soundbar or at least a super cheap "home theatre in a box" kind of thing, or maybe the TV speakers.

I think that's a limited target audience because there's seriously not a lot of overlap in those 3 things.

Although, I'm ignoring #4:

4.) Rich old men with golden ears/golden eyes that also own a $1200 wooden volume knob, $4500 speaker wire stands, and $60,000 speaker wire who don't watch anything other than their DVD copy of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

I take it back - this product will make mint.

-stefan

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Actually Linus and team did test the input lag and found it added none (at least none their input lag tester could pick up.)

*I'm not defending this product, it's just stuff that was stated in the video. I personally don't like video processors either. I would rather just put the extra $150 into a nicer TV or AVR.

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

molleh wrote:Actually Linus and team did test the input lag and found it added none (at least none their input lag tester could pick up.)

*I'm not defending this product, it's just stuff that was stated in the video. I personally don't like video processors either. I would rather just put the extra $150 into a nicer TV or AVR.
Interesting. There's no way it's adding 0ms, but it could be <10ms or so, which unless you're already pushing 60ms, isn't going to matter.

Does the video (or something else) state what chip it is?

-stefan

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

Basically it is an upscaler built in to one end which takes its power from a usb port.
They saw bigger benefits when running standard definition content and 720p, as they increased through 1080 and beyond it still applied a sharpening effect but the upscaling effect was almost imperceptible.
There is a market for this, as covered in the video, but for people who only play high resolution content on a high resolution display there is little to no benefit.
If this was marketed as a mini upscaler then nobody would have batted an eyelid!

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

bobsk8 wrote:I have worked in this industry all my life. This is snake oil hogwash, but if you have money to throw away, then throw it away.
You might want to watch the video before making that assumption, kinda the point in my post lol :mrgreen:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

shortspecialbus wrote:
molleh wrote:It does have a small inline video processor. Really it should be called that, and not an HDMI cable.
Ok, that makes some sense then. But if you're the sort of person that wants that sort of thing, you probably already have an Oppo Blu-Ray/UDP player or like at least an Onkyo or Marantz something or other for a receiver. Those have a pretty nice video processor in them.

If you're playing games you want that all turned off anyways, i.e. Game Mode, because trying to play with 100ms display lag is really frustrating and un-fun.

1.) don't game
2.) are willing to invest $150 in an HDMI cable but not $500 into a Blu-Ray/UHD player, to get the ultimate best quality out of their Amazon FireTV.
3.) use a soundbar or at least a super cheap "home theatre in a box" kind of thing, or maybe the TV speakers.

I think that's a limited target audience because there's seriously not a lot of overlap in those 3 things.

4.) Rich old men with golden ears/golden eyes that also own a $1200 wooden volume knob, $4500 speaker wire stands, and $60,000 speaker wire who don't watch anything other than their DVD copy of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

-stefan
As I've just posted, watch the video. Your assumptions seemed like mine initial ones, ones that once tested are just not bourne out of real world tests.

The whole point of me posting this was because if you judge a book by its cover its snake oil, as we all initially think and as have been evidenced by a bunch of the responses, but as soon as you test and look at the actual real world testing this stuff has real world application. I know 4k and above is all up there but the main stream are still 1080 or below, I'm here with a couple 1080 monitors and ive no plan or need to go 4k, the cost in everything associated with it still means its very much out of range. If I can offload a little filtering from the GPU in a cable, that sounds like a damn fine idea.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Did you try it Lewis?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Lewis - A2A wrote:
shortspecialbus wrote:

1.) don't game

-stefan
As I've just posted, watch the video. Your assumptions seemed like mine initial ones, ones that once tested are just not bourne out of real world tests.

The whole point of me posting this was because if you judge a book by its cover its snake oil, as we all initially think and as have been evidenced by a bunch of the responses, but as soon as you test and look at the actual real world testing this stuff has real world application. I know 4k and above is all up there but the main stream are still 1080 or below, I'm here with a couple 1080 monitors and ive no plan or need to go 4k, the cost in everything associated with it still means its very much out of range. If I can offload a little filtering from the GPU in a cable, that sounds like a damn fine idea.
The issue I take is how it's marketed. It's marketed as a magic cable. It's not the cable that does anything. It's an attached processor. There's nothing remotely unique or newsworthy there. In fact it's less useful than separate parts would be because you're stuck using a fixed cable length.

If they called it a video upscaler with attached cable then sure. But they didn't. It's also going to be very subjective on if it improves anything over someone's existing hardware/display upscalers, since every tv/monitor has one built in, and I don't know what "filtering" you're offloading from the gpu here. Offloading resolution isn't actually offloading resolution so much as just faking it with a potentially better interpolate.

-stefan

Edit: fixing mobile typos

gonzman
Airman First Class

Post by gonzman »

An Australian consumer advocacy group called Choice did some tests on HDMI cables when Blu-Ray was coming out and the format was becoming a standard.

In Australian retailers (I know this for a fact as I worked for one at the time) You could buy a 1.5m HDMI cable for anything from $20 to $499+

After testing various brands and lengths they concluded that the image quality to the general consumer (the cables target markets) was indiscernible and the sales people trying to up-sell you a $200 HDMI cable with your $250 Blu-Ray player was pretty much a scam as the $20 one works just as well over that distance.

Expensive cables started to pull ahead at long/industrial usage lengths, 20m+

I tried digging up the article but can't find it at the moment, fascinating read at the same as I was in that industry selling TV/Entertainment stuff to family consumers, never did flog any $450 HDMI cables, much to the displeasure of my bosses and the cable company CEO's!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”