warning to ccleaner users

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

warning to ccleaner users

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: warning to ccleaner users

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Tomas.
Thanks for heads up , never used these programs as i always believed them to cause more problems than they solve.
regards alan. 8)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good stuff, I was just about to post this. And Alan CCleaner and or similar are a must have for easy clean ups.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Good stuff, I was just about to post this. And Alan CCleaner and or similar are a must have for easy clean ups.

thanks,
Lewis
Been using CCleaner for years, and never had an issue.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Tomas Linnet wrote:Hi guys

I got a warning on my facebook feed today: https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrew ... 436baf316a

http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/ ... lware.html

https://www.piriform.com/news/blog/2017 ... dows-users

Edit: added more links for more information.
FWIW, I use the free version and haven't upgraded it for a long time now. Jetline recommended using the free version and use it themselves. It's worked perfectly for me with zero issues. The software does ask me every time I use it if I want to upgrade but I've never found it necessary to do that as the free version gets rid of all the junk and keeps the registry nice and clean.
Dudley Henriques

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:

I got a warning on my facebook feed today: https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrew ... 436baf316a

FWIW, I use the free version and haven't upgraded it for a long time now. Jetline recommended using the free version and use it themselves. It's worked perfectly for me with zero issues. The software does ask me every time I use it if I want to upgrade but I've never found it necessary to do that as the free version gets rid of all the junk and keeps the registry nice and clean.
Dudley Henriques
Improvements in CCleaner are constantly made. I upgrade it every time a new version comes out.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

bobsk8 wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:

Dudley Henriques
Improvements in CCleaner are constantly made. I upgrade it every time a new version comes out.
I wasn't aware you could upgrade the free version. Is that possible?
I imagine you could uninstall the free version on your computer then download a new free version and possibly do it that way.
DH

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
bobsk8 wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:.
I wasn't aware you could upgrade the free version. Is that possible?
I imagine you could uninstall the free version on your computer then download a new free version and possibly do it that way.
DH
Open the program, go to settings, and check the box automatically check for updates to cleaner. You will get a pop up when up date comes out.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Open the program, go to settings, and check the box automatically check for updates to cleaner. You will get a pop up when up date comes out.
If I'm not mistaken that pop up if you are running the free version, if selected, upgrades you from the free version to the advanced paid version. I could be wrong but that has been my understanding.

DH

Euan Emblin
Airman First Class

Post by Euan Emblin »

Dudley, that pop up just takes you to the web page where you can choose which version of CCleaner you require. For years I have been using this utility and I always download the updated free version each time. Piece of cake.

nojwod
Senior Airman

Post by nojwod »

I use CCleaner but only for registry maintenance. A couple of years ago I lost a whole heap of .psd files and was only left with the jpg saved versions of the images, somehow CCleaner couldn't differentiate and treated the .psd versions as duplicates and deleted them. So all my layers information was lost. Now I never trust autometed duplicate removal software.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I also have used CCleaner free version for years. You can choose what apps etc the cleaner will evaluate and can review what it has found after you analyze and before you run the cleaner. If you rely on the default settings you may be unpleasantly surprised (automatic my a**). I use the tools feature to remove programs as it is more user friendly than the windows add remove programs tab in control panel. The security breach only effected one 32bit version. I think most of us are running 64bit windows. If you have the suspect version 5.33.6162 you should upgrade to v5.34.6207. Now we can move on to the Equifax deal. :D

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Euan Emblin wrote:Dudley, that pop up just takes you to the web page where you can choose which version of CCleaner you require. For years I have been using this utility and I always download the updated free version each time. Piece of cake.
Thanks. I've never tried that thinking it was for the paid version which I don't need. The system it's on is dedicated to flight simulator and nothing else.
I'll check it out.
DH

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Some of my thoughts on those that have a dedicated flight sim PC. If you do not open a browser on your machine and connect to the web there is very little maintenance necessary. You don't really need most of the windows updates as they are mostly related to security. I use CCleaner on my second PC which I use for email and surfing the net. I have CCleaner installed on my flt sim computer and do occasionally run it but I doubt if it makes much difference. When you do need to connect to the net for software activation etc. a browser is not involved. If I need to download a program to install I use my everyday PC and then use a thumb drive or DVD to install it on my dedicated PC. Almost all crap on a PC comes from the web. I have been using a dedicated flt sim rig for close to fifteen years. All my dedicated rigs have remained trouble free and have not taken any performance hits over time. My current rig is 3.5 years old and runs as fast as it did the day I built it. Still boots in less than 30 seconds.

pchamney
Airman

Post by pchamney »

To each his own, but I haven't felt the need to use a registry cleaner since Win 95 or 98.
Most uninstall programs will clean their reg entries these days, and if they don't, there are only a few "run" keys that I check manually
every once in a while. A bloated registry seems like a thing of the past IMHO, and superfluous "free" programs with payloads seem more a threat to me.

Now, completely off topic, but in case you're watching this Lewis, where is that twin piston engine light aircraft I'm so patiently waiting for? :mrgreen:
Cherokee 180 (FSX/P3DV4), C172 Trainer (FSX), Comanche 250 (FSX)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”