warning to ccleaner users

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Re: warning to ccleaner users

Post by bobsk8 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:

Open the program, go to settings, and check the box automatically check for updates to cleaner. You will get a pop up when up date comes out.
If I'm not mistaken that pop up if you are running the free version, if selected, upgrades you from the free version to the advanced paid version. I could be wrong but that has been my understanding.

DH
You have to read it carefully. They try and get you to get the paid version, but if you look carefully, you will see where you can download the free version update.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

pchamney wrote:To each his own, but I haven't felt the need to use a registry cleaner since Win 95 or 98.
Most uninstall programs will clean their reg entries these days, and if they don't, there are only a few "run" keys that I check manually
every once in a while. A bloated registry seems like a thing of the past IMHO, and superfluous "free" programs with payloads seem more a threat to me.

Now, completely off topic, but in case you're watching this Lewis, where is that twin piston engine light aircraft I'm so patiently waiting for? :mrgreen:
I can't count the hundreds of registry fixes that CCleaner has fixed on my PC over the years. CCleaner always makes a backup file, before you run it, so if you run into an issue, which I never have on 6 different PC's ( I use it at work too), you can instantly roll back to where you were. I never had to do that. MY PC runs like it did when it was new.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

bobsk8 wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:

Open the program, go to settings, and check the box automatically check for updates to cleaner. You will get a pop up when up date comes out.
If I'm not mistaken that pop up if you are running the free version, if selected, upgrades you from the free version to the advanced paid version. I could be wrong but that has been my understanding.

DH
You have to read it carefully. They try and get you to get the paid version, but if you look carefully, you will see where you can download the free version update.
You're right. They use a very common download format on their web site. There are several links that look alike. I downloaded the free version tonight. Mine was WAY out of date.
Actually I have no objection to paying for good software. The only reason I use the free version is because I don't really need the extra features on the paid, plus the free version was recommended by Jetline as the one they use themselves.
All is updated now. Thanks for the information.
DH

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

I cannot even remember how many years I have used this software.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

OK cleaned the thread now too

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

It's a handy program to have. I've used it many a time to securely wipe my drives. Although, as I have found out, 'Auto' cleaning the registry can lead to some, de-registration of some installed software, requiring on-line registration again to cure it. Use with caution is my advice.

Steve

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”