RIP Cassini (1997-2017)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Medtner
A2A Mechanic

RIP Cassini (1997-2017)

Post by Medtner »

I'm a hobby astronomer and lover of anything "sciency". I've followed the Cassini-Huygens spacecraft for a long time, and it is a remarkable mission by NASA and ESA. The landing on Titan (one of the moons of Saturn), the beautiful and
thorough exploration of the Saturn-system with it's countless moons and the rings. The discovery of water on Enceladus. It is truly a sad day, but the excellent thinking of the people who work on this mission knows that it is
better to let the spacecraft break up and burn in the atmosphere rather than possibly contaminating one of the delicate moons.

I have to post of the classic pictures of Saturn - a beautiful shot, but also awesome in that one can see faintly the Earth-Moon system at the 4 o-clock-position from Saturn.

Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Re: RIP Cassini (1997-2017)

Post by RotorWash »

Sent to work for twenty years and all burnt out !

yep, i can relate to that :wink:

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: RIP Cassini (1997-2017)

Post by AKar »

I can only imagine what it feels like to walk home for those who may have worked on this for twenty years. Job well done!

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”