Favourite scenery addons

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Favourite scenery addons

Post by Skycat »

I loved Ultimate Terrain in FS2004 but I was always decidedly underwhelmed by UTX in FSX.

I really liked Bird's Eye View in FS2004; I eventually shifted to Ground Environment Pro.

In FSX, I was a GEX die-hard early on. It works very well with UTX and a a landclass product that matches the area you fly.

However, no combination of products gave me as satisfactory a representation of my real-life home base of Great Falls, Montana as ORBX FTX's NA Central Rocky Mountains.

For several years I was happy with FTX North America regions and GEX/UTX coverage. Then Global, Vector and FTX Open Landclass prodcuts came out. I eventually made the jump from Gex/UTX/Simtech landclass and I think FTX world coverage is superior. And my experience is that Global/Vector does not impact frame rates more than GEX/UTX.

All are great products, and all are superior to stock FSX textures. None are perfect representations to the real world. However, IMO the ORBX FTX line goes furthest towards converting FSX into a simulation of the real world as it actually exists.

Just my thoughts.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

i like Orbx ybcs, spoting crocs up the creek, in the dodo Bell :D

Still waiting for them in p3d v4. Ozx is the best freeware, they have a good relation ship with orbx :)

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

patful wrote:Actually, only GEP3D is just for P3D. UTX products were designed for FSX, and GEP3D is just an upgraded worldwide version of Flight1's GEX products. I had considered ORBX, but their limited payment options convinced me to stick with F1/UTX/GEX since I had been using them since FS2004. With this kind of performance, I've had no second thoughts.
Looking at all this again and staying open minded. I have been flying around ORBX EU England with the White Cliffs add-on which even has my house represented (which is cool). I was a bit disappointed in my frame rates near London though. I have tried the Iceland demo as well and have the same FPS issue over Rekiavic (that has GOT to spelled wrong :lol: ).

Looking at the price of UTX and GEX I think it's worth me trying it out especially as the coverage of Canada is much greater than FTX and (being an expat Canadian) I want to fly all the places I used to drive my motorcycle - which was practically everywhere. And the bonus is that GEX is compatible with FTX so if I decide to go that route I have wasted very little.
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”