FSX and slow loading times - Solved

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

FSX and slow loading times - Solved

Post by Bruce66 »

I've been struggling with this issue for the last 24 hours since I installed FSX. The game starts up fine but when I click Fly Now it takes forever to load. The first time with all settings on minimum it took 2.5 hours. After that I got it down to about 15 minutes but if I increase any of the settings get it gets tediously long again.

I have been searching through Google and the various forums, particularly Steam, but all the little clues have not improved things much.

Is this a common problem?

I didn't think my computer was that lame, it runs CloD on full graphics no problem at all with short load times.

Any help gladly received!
Last edited by Bruce66 on 09 Sep 2017, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: FSX and slow loading times

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Bruce66,

That is insane load time... :shock: Which version of the sim you have, original (boxed) or Steam?

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Have you ensured your anti-virus software has been set to exclude the FSX installation/no to scan while FSX is running?
Defragged hard drives?
Checked the HDs for errors?
Just running FSX without any addons?
Closing any other applications and system tray programs where possible?

Not saying these are your problem, but are worth checking out if you have not done so already.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

The only thing I can think of offhand that could cause a really long load time is if you are using a real-time weather add-on and it is building a completely new environment theme using HD textures and complex clouds, draw distance, etc.. But even that doesn't explain 2.5 hour load times.

I think we need to know your FSX version and any addons to diagnose this better.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Re: FSX and slow loading times - Solved

Post by Bruce66 »

Hi LZ_WIL

I am using the Steam version. Had to reinstall a couple times after reading the Steam Q&A for this issue.

Hi Blitzer

- Have you ensured your anti-virus software has been set to exclude the FSX installation/no to scan while FSX is running?
Defragged hard drives? Yup
- Checked the HDs for errors? Yup
- Just running FSX without any addons? Yup
- Closing any other applications and system tray programs where possible? Just shut down the clock and Bill's process manager - this may have been the problem. Thanks for the tip!

Hi Skycat

No addons and up till now I had all the options to minimum.

Thanks guys for the reply's and ideas. After going at it straight out for nearly 24 hours my wife had a go at me and I finally got some sleep. Turned the computer on this morning - turned off those two background programs (both of which the Task Manager said were not using any processing power) and the flight loaded up in under 2 minutes. Left the flight and reloaded in less than 30 seconds. Then I increased the detailing to medium with the plane on max and loaded in just under 4 minutes. Then the kids woke up and now we have the Cbeebies on so no testing till later. :D

I did read on one post in Steam that the guy left it off for a couple days and then it worked - whatever the cause and solution it works now and that is the main thing. I suspect the clock as it is a desktop graphic analog but who knows.

Cheers!
Gaming Computer

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

I just wanted to add that I found the actual cause of my slow loading times.

I've had automatic updates for W7 turned off for some time due to the W10 automatic demo uploader which some people like me have had trouble with. FSX was conflicting with the Windows Automatic Update warnings and going into a loop. If I turn off Windows Updates in the Task Manager FSX starts in seconds even with higher settings and maintains 30-60 FPS even with the ORBX demo I have just downloaded.

Now on to the next upgrade!
Gaming Computer

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Glad you have found the problem, always more fun to be flying than trouble shooting!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”