Wing loading and turbulence

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Wing loading and turbulence

Post by Alfredson007 »

Hello.

If we have one weather but multiple airplanes, would wing-loading be the most important figure to look at how much these planes suffer from turbulence/gusts etc? Sure there are other factors too but if we'd have to mention only one.

I am asking this because today i was as a passenger in a Douglas DC3, the weather was clear, some wind and gusts, around 10 knots surface winds. I was rather surpriced how much the plane rocked in the air, nothing crazy but i'd say it would have felt ~exactly the same as in little Cessna in that weather, pretty sure. Last time i was in DC3 it was very smooth. Now the walking on the aisle was pretty annoying (and fun:D).

I remember reading that wingloading is one factor how plane behaves in air, and it seems that your ordinary Cessna's loading is (going metric here) something like 50-70kg/m2 where as DC3 has 125kg (and i think DC3 is lighter than MTOW most times for local lights). Modern passenger jets seems to have something like 400-600kg/m2. The lesser the kg/m2 the more rocky it should feel, i've understood.

Anyway, i was amazed how the much heavier DC3 felt like a Cessna in the air while the weather wasn't that bad. I mean surely 747 can go crazy too but i think it requires "a tad" more turbulence etc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”