ORBX beta - we may be getting our airports back on P3Dv4

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

ORBX beta - we may be getting our airports back on P3Dv4

Post by Paughco »

Guys: I just found this on the ORBX forum: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/ ... open-beta/.

"We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the ObjectFlow 2 Open Beta.

During the open beta, ObjectFlow 2 will be distributed via Fastlane. Fastlane allows you to opt-in to receive potentially unstable updates before they are released to everyone.

Once you have opted-in to Fastlane, you will receive a beta update to FTX Central that includes ObjectFlow 2. This update will also allow you to view your airports in FTX Central for Prepar3D v4. "

The message goes on to give steps for opting in to Fastlane, and opting out if it causes problems.

Right now I'm installing my ORBX airports. I'll let you know if it works. Or not.

WooHOO!! Look at me! I'm a test pilot!!

So far it's working! Here is my P3Dv4 T-6 at First Air (W16) in Monroe, WA:

So far I've flown into or out of San Carlos Airport in California, and Friday Harbor, Harvey Field, and First Air, and Skagit Regional, all in P3Dv4, and they all work.

Seeya
ATB

pcox151
Airman

Re: ORBX beta - we may be getting our airports back on P3Dv4

Post by pcox151 »

At the moment a serious bug is being reported by many users, me included. An XML CFG file not found error is being reported as stopping the loading of P3D V4 once you click on 'ok' from the start up screen and will not allow the sim to load. I have reverted back to the previous version of FTXC until it is fixed.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

P3Dv4 has always started normally with the new setup, but I've had two crashes (the P3D program, not me crashing the airplane). I've flown about five times since installing the BETA setup. First crash was after taking off in my T-6 from ORBX Harvey Field (S43), shooting a touch and go, then heading out for ORBX Skagit Regional (KBVS). P3Dv4 "had a problem" and stopped. Second one was a planned cross-country from Arlington (KAWO) to Felts (KSFF). I took off in my Comanche and was climbing to 11,500, headed for the Cascades when the program stopped. Will test some more, but may have to revert.

I'm wondering if I should buy more ORBX airports in P3Dv3 at the 48% discount, then upgrade them for free when they work out the bugs.

Seeya
ATB

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Thanks for the info, Paughco. This behavior is just when airports and regions are installed, right (I'm assuming you have PNW and NRM)? It's totally fine with just the regions?

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

I'm still a bit confused by many of the "bugs" reported in the ORBX Public Beta Forum - incuding the one mentioned at the top of this thread. I run P3D V4 almost from the beginning of its appearance on the market and have since added quite a few add-ons. From ORBX I have ALL REGIONS and ATM around 75 of their airports and still counting. My scenery.cfg is coming up to 440 entries. Yes - I'm still working with the good old scenery.cfg and do not accept any sceneries installed using the new packages concept - but that's another story... :lol:

To this date I haven't encountered a single crash nor any missing buildings or textures. No missing files either. I must however admit that I don't have a single add-on installed which is not at least released by its producer to be at least P3D V4 compatible, preferably of course being P3D V4 native. Many of the forum entries are subject to a problem sitting some 20-30 inches in front of the screen, which is not wondering me at all when seeing the sheer mass of airports being released for this Public Beta.

The only bug that I encountered so far was a soft crash caused by the orbx_objectflow_x64.dll when exiting P3D V4. Funny enough even this one has not shown up the last two times when I exited P3D V4. Maybe it has been corrected in the meantime. I'm sure many of the reported "bugs" are stemming from incompatibility issues of various add-ons. People tend to ignore such things until after some deeper troubleshooting the real culprit surfaces. Being involved in add-on developing I have seen all kinds of this stuff happening. The first answer after questioning for add-ons is always "no" :lol: Ask two more questions and the answer will be completely different... :wink:
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

ClipperLuna wrote:Thanks for the info, Paughco. This behavior is just when airports and regions are installed, right (I'm assuming you have PNW and NRM)? It's totally fine with just the regions?
Correct. I installed FTX Global Base Pack, Open LC North America, Vector, and Trees HD. Then I installed all the available NA regions. Everything worked just fine. No problems.

A couple days ago I tried the beta program and upgraded all my airports. That's when I noticed the problems described above. I'll try a few more flights before I go back to pre-beta mode.

Seeya
ATB

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Repeated my flight from KAWO to KSFF last evening. Saved the flight every five minutes or so into my "Before impending DOOM" flight, after noting the elapsed flight time in the ADF radio (nice feature!). The flight went smoothly, with no crashes or glitches. Very smoky getting into Spokane.

Seeya
ATB

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Paughco wrote:Very smoky getting into Spokane.
That's the truth and no mistake. Yesterday I drove to Lewiston and from the top of the grade north of the river (on US-95), I could only just barely make the town out. Couldn't see the airport at all. Where I was to the town is about 3 nm in a straight line; about 5 nm to the airport.

nojwod
Senior Airman

Post by nojwod »

Just quickly, CTDs are being caused by FS9 models in AI traffic. Disable traffic by one of the methods posted on the open beta forum and you should be OK. Unless your problem is from another cause.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”