FSX goes to white screen, then black

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
85chevy4x4
Airman

FSX goes to white screen, then black

Post by 85chevy4x4 »

I was hoping someone here may have some ideas for me. On my computer, I'm running FSX Boxed, Active Sky 16 with Cloud Art, Ultimate Traffic Live and all 3 Orbx Globals with the freeware airports. My issue is after 15 or so minutes, always in cruise FSX flashes a white screen and then a black screen, then nothing. A couple of strange things about this. When it flashes the white screen, my computer sounds like it shuts off. You can hear the fan spinning and once the white flash happens, it slows down. Almost like the computer was under a load and dumped the load. The 2nd thing is once it goes to a black screen, FSX is still running in the background. I can hear sounds, ATC, I can even pause it. Hitting ALT to bring the top menu up, switching between full screen and windowed does nothing.. just a black screen.

At first I noticed this while flying the Eaglesoft Citation on a medium distance flight.. That didn't surprise me much because the Eaglesoft is very finicky... a nice plane when it works, but I've always had problems with it. Then last night while flying from KAKR to KAFJ to do some approaches in low IFR in the A2A Cherokee, it did the screen thing. Only thing that has changed recently with my FSX is adding the A2A Cub and Orbx FTX North America OpenLC. Any help would be great.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: FSX goes to white screen, then black

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

I would go and check my video drivers as a start, if I were you, try to update to the latest. Then reinstall DirectX9 once more.
Try those steps, let us know how it goes. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

85chevy4x4
Airman

Post by 85chevy4x4 »

Well I tried that and it did not work. Still having the same problem. It always does this after about 30 to 45 minutes, usually when I'm about to land...

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Can you tell us how many watts is your PSU and what is your video card model. This flashing screen stuff, sounds a bit like the GPU is in power demand at some point and cannot get it or it overheats. I am curious to hear other opinions on this issue.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

85chevy4x4
Airman

Post by 85chevy4x4 »

Ehh the wattage I am not sure of, il have to do some digging on that. My graphics card is a Nvidia GTX 745. I'm wondering if my latest addition of ORBX Open LC is putting to much of a load on the graphics card? Like I said after the screen flashes white and then stays black, FSX is still running in the backround. I can pause it, minimize it, I hear the engine rev up or down as I move the throttle... I just can't see it or get any menus to open by hitting ALT. Now if I hit escape, that window will open and I can return to the main menu. I tried reloading the flight and it either loads to the black screen or crashes the simulation entirely.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Sounds like it could be a symptom of the graphics card overheating as Will suggests. I recommend installing the free NVIDIA Inspector utility which can be used to monitor the GPU load, temperature and fan speed amongst other things.

If you do trace the issue to the graphics card, sometimes the solution is as simple as using a compressed air can or something to clean away dust and fluff from the fan and intakes.

Cheers,
Nick

85chevy4x4
Airman

Post by 85chevy4x4 »

Yeah that makes sense. Usually when it does this, I can hear a fan screaming full boar, and then when the screens flash the fan stops... would the GPU fan be accessible from the back of the computer without having to take the side panels off? I've never taken a computer apart before so I'm not sure where it's located.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

85chevy4x4 wrote: would the GPU fan be accessible from the back of the computer without having to take the side panels off? I've never taken a computer apart before so I'm not sure where it's located.
No - the GPU fan generally isn't accessible without removing the cover. Looks like the GTX 745 is a 'low profile' card without any vents in the backplate (the bit where the monitor cable plugs in) to get clogged either. The fan is at the other end of the card, tucked away inside the PC.

It's definitely worth installing NVIDIA Inspector to check indications from the card when it's under load, before you consider delving inside the case! :wink:

Nick

85chevy4x4
Airman

Post by 85chevy4x4 »

Sorry to bring an older topic back up, with work and things I finally got around to this.. The Nvida inspected showed my GPU temp over 90.. max is 95. I guess it's designed to shut down like it had been doing when it gets to hot. After a can of compressed air to the back of the computer it's staying in the mid to high 80s... Thank you so much for your assistance.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

No problem! :) Something else simple to consider is the siting of the PC itself: e.g. making sure there's reasonable spacing around the case to allow air to circulate and keeping it away from other sources of heat.

You're correct that the driver will shut the system down eventually if it reaches maximum temperature. In your case, if the card is still running a bit hot, it's possible you'll see performance drop in the sim as the driver 'throttles' the system to reduce its operating temperature.

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”