Dunkirk Movie – not recommended

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Re: Dunkirk Movie – not recommended

Post by Medtner »

I saw it in a normal cinema. I can't stand 3D. It is usually gimmicky and confusing. A VR cinema would however be more interesting. ;)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Mitchell - A2A
Aviation Writer and Pilot

Post by Mitchell - A2A »

I understand that "Dunkirk" is the first film to be shot in the IMAX (not 3D) format with the intention that it be seen in IMAX theatres. I saw in an IMAX theatre and the entire experience was breathtaking. I'm sure that it will not and could not be as impressive when seen on ordinary television (not home theatre, surround sound, etc.), but then that goes for many films.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at an impressive 94% amongst top critics on the "Tomatometer" and an equally impressive audience score of 82%. Director Christopher Nolan wanted to make a unique film about war and I think that he succeeded in this. Without question he should have had much better advisors as to the film's aerial content, much but not all of which he got wrong as has been duly noted in this thread. However, not withstanding such errors, there is a lot more to this film than that. Give it a go and let us know what you think.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

It must be a good movie. Look at the amount of comment on this forum!!

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

karaya1 wrote:Well here goes.
Saw the movie after much anticipation due to the previews at other movies. It showed promise I thought. Sat through it and slowly developed an overpowering sense of "what a load of crap".

Frankly I don't particularly care what artistic bulls hit Nolan was trying to achieve, he missed by a bloody mile. The premise appeared to be, make it as loud as possible, as claustrophobic as possible and throw in some lame acting of the stress and shock of war and you'll be right.

Sorry.

None of that made up for the fact that he completely missed the biggest fact about Dunkirk. It was a massive defeat that was nearly a war ending tragedy and ignominious humiliation for the British. There were over 400,000 men on that beach and mole at some stage over those days, and yet his portrayal was of a small beach party by a few lost party goers.

As well as the lack of the scale on the ground (and this could have been easily addressed with some artfully included real footage) his portrayal of the air war was also way off. The Germans were "cock a hoop" at the time and definitely on their game wereas the Brits tactics were off, there pilots were for the most part green and as a consequence the British lost a lot of aircraft over Dunkirk (read about the Defiants) and yet again we got a single flight of three spits and no hurricanes (who did most of the work there as the RAF were husbanding their aircraft at that stage). And please, a spitfire floating for nearly 10 minutes or so. They went down like stones when they ditched and no one can glide for that long at less than a thousand feet, with the flaps down.

So if you can't get the basics right, and these days that should be as easy as, then please don't try as you are only pissing on the memory of those who were there and fought and died trying to pull off a miracle in the face of certain doom.

You want a decent war movie, try any of these;
Das Boot
When Trumpets Fade
Cross of Iron
All Quiet on the Western Front

and as a series try

Band of Brothers or
Generation War (German with English subtitles) but still great.
Winter War (Finish with no subtitles but still great).

So there you go. I will now retire to obscurity and await the flames.

Cheers
Paul
Well said Paul, and Mitchell I stopped paying attention to Rotten Tomatoes internal reviews many years ago. The Audience Reviews are far more on the mark.

It's pretty clear some of us think the movie was really bad with no interest in watching it again, while others view it as a masterpiece. Just keep in mind opinions on art are just that - opinions, and they change over time.

Having said that, I look forward to picking up the phone and schooling Mitchell on the fine art of movie making. I just have to make sure I have a few hours free as Mitchell is going to think he can school me :)

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Just email him Scott,

That way you can delete his attached documents for a quicker read :P :P :P :P :P :P

Darryl

(Sorry M, couldn't resist :wink: )
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Well Scott, considering I'm the only person with a degree in the subject... I liked it. Call me baby!

:twisted:
ImageImage
ImageImage

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

CodyValkyrie wrote:Well Scott, considering I'm the only person with a degree in the subject... I liked it. Call me baby!

:twisted:

LOL

D

Mitchell - A2A
Aviation Writer and Pilot

Post by Mitchell - A2A »

Umm...Scott and Darryl, I can hear you (please read the attached documents).

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

:P :P :P
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

OK Code, expect a call from me today and be prepared to take notes :)

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”