Cannot get ultra graphics in P3D ver 4

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
alangeorge
Airman

Cannot get ultra graphics in P3D ver 4

Post by alangeorge »

Computer:
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT GAMING
Processor Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5GHz
Graphics card MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR 8G OC
SSD Intel 600p M.2 512GB SSD NVMe
HDD WD 2TB Blue 64 MBs cache
RAM Kingston 16GB KIT DDR4 2666MHz CL13 HyperX Savage Black
Water cooling NZXT Kraken X41
LED backlight
Akasa Vegas White
Power supply Seasonic M12II-620 Evo
PC case NZXT S340 Elite Limited
Operating system Windows 10 Home CZ 64-bit
Best I can get is High, which frequently goes down to Medium. I am using P3D. ver 4 with megasceneryearth, the only aircraft I fly, or want to fly, is the A2A Cessna 172 R which at 86 suits me very well. I upgraded to this computer to enjoy the scenery better, it is not much better than my previous setup in P3D ver 3 i7 850 2.8 Ghz. GTX 1050 Ti I fly entirely VFR and Clacton is my home airstrip, no airport scenery available yet for P3D ver 4 any help very much appreciated. I love my scenery/ I have a Dell S2716 DG Monitor on max resolution 2560x1440 x 32 I have tried the P3D Forum, and told, literally, there was no such setting as 'ultra', so in despair I am trying nearer my friends.

blackbird7
Airman

Re: Cannot get ultra graphics in P3D ver 4

Post by blackbird7 »

Hi Alan,

I have a pretty beefy system (i7-7700K and GTX 1080Ti), and even I am refraining from using P3D v4's highest settings so that I can get optimal performance. I normally get 45-60 fps with A2A and RealAir aircraft flying in Orbx regions. I have settings such as Special Effects, Building Autogen, and Autogen distance, and Shadow Quality on either normal or medium settings. I believe that my LOD is set to High (I saw no difference in performance between Low, Medium, and High). I haven't tried an LOD of Ultra, but the High setting is more than sufficient for me.

However, my P3D v4 experience has been really great. My terrain textures are crisp at far distances, I now have cloud, vehicle, and terrain shadows enabled. I have some road traffic enabled that I wasn't brave enough to turn on in P3D v3. I fly the sim at 4xSSAA. You might try disabling Dynamic Lighting as many are reporting performance hits with that (I am leaving it off until LM is able to optimize it). I would also make sure that SpeedTrees are disabled.

I would not recommend flying at the highest settings even with your high-end machine. I think you would notice a pretty big performance impact that would minimize your enjoyment of all the eye candy. Lockheed Martin is essentially pushing the envelope of what even the highest mainstream systems can perform, which is great.

Respectfully,
blackbird7

alangeorge
Airman

Post by alangeorge »

blackbird7 wrote:Hi Alan,

I have a pretty beefy system (i7-7700K and GTX 1080Ti), and even I am refraining from using P3D v4's highest settings so that I can get optimal performance. I normally get 45-60 fps with A2A and RealAir aircraft flying in Orbx regions. I have settings such as Special Effects, Building Autogen, and Autogen distance, and Shadow Quality on either normal or medium settings. I believe that my LOD is set to High (I saw no difference in performance between Low, Medium, and High). I haven't tried an LOD of Ultra, but the High setting is more than sufficient for me.

However, my P3D v4 experience has been really great. My terrain textures are crisp at far distances, I now have cloud, vehicle, and terrain shadows enabled. I have some road traffic enabled that I wasn't brave enough to turn on in P3D v3. I fly the sim at 4xSSAA. You might try disabling Dynamic Lighting as many are reporting performance hits with that (I am leaving it off until LM is able to optimize it). I would also make sure that SpeedTrees are disabled.

I would not recommend flying at the highest settings even with your high-end machine. I think you would notice a pretty big performance impact that would minimize your enjoyment of all the eye candy. Lockheed Martin is essentially pushing the envelope of what even the highest mainstream systems can perform, which is great.

Respectfully,
blackbird7
Hi Blckbird7,
What a sensible response thank you. I have no autogen of any sort, and my airstrip is now totally basic, until I can buy some ver 4 UK airports, I am happy to fly over my megasceneryearth England &a Wales, I simply enjoy flying over scenery I know. Bought Xiamen airport last night, my wife comes from Gulong Yu just the other side of the airport, the graphics were superb. Which is what I aspire to, in my Clacton area. The `Graphics are 'pretty' good, but with (for me massive) upgrade, I hoped for sharper clearer 'everything'. In my simple mind, I saw lots of screenshots of setups, where the graphic showed 'ultra'. I wondered if it is the complex aircraft, my lovely A2A Cessna 172, I read fleetingly somewhere that there was potential in that direction, but even if so, what to do. You have cheered me up, I was 86 `July 18th, and the new computer was my 'treat'. It is super, P3D ver 3 with 20+ GB of megascenery to load, took 5/6 minutes, now about 70 seconds. I am much better of, but I guess I am greedy.
Lots of nice thoughts and thanks.....Alan

Marco909
Airman First Class

Post by Marco909 »

I go nowehere near the right on most of my sliders but my PC is pretty basic in comparison to yours. My expectations are not so high, with V4 I just wanted to carry over what I had with V3 but with greater stablilty, smoothness and perhaps a slight improvement in graphic quality. It has been better than expected, actually I'm learning how to land much of my fleet as most flights in FSX, P3D V2 & 3 ended with a CTD!

By far the biggest gain I have found is by using Project Lasso to optimise my core allocation. Without trying too hard I get an extra 4-5 frames and most importantly a reduction in those micro stutters that I hate most of all, they are not entirely gone but much more manageable. I aim for 25 frames as a baseline although I will see 15-20 when I take an aircraft heavy on resources into New York. It's ok, not long after I have left the pattern I'm over 30 and happy as a happy thing. I only have 8GB of RAM, amazing really that it all works so well with that.

One sad point of course is that I now just have my Cherokee and Comanche to fly. The Cub, Stratocruiser, P-51, Sptifire, P-40, P-47 and (sob) B-17 are grounded for who knows how long. V3 is gone never to return, I don't have the drive capacity to keep two installations going and honestly the crashes would be soul destroying now. Regards, Mark

alangeorge
Airman

Post by alangeorge »

alangeorge wrote:
blackbird7 wrote:Hi Alan,

Respectfully,
blackbird7
Hi Blackbird7,

What a sensible response thank you. I have no autogen of any sort, and my airstrip is now totally basic, until I can buy some ver 4 UK airports, I am happy to fly over my megasceneryearth England &a Wales, I simply enjoy flying over scenery I know. Bought Xiamen airport last night, my wife comes from Gulong Yu just the other side of the airport, the graphics were superb. Which is what I aspire to, in my Clacton area. The `Graphics are 'pretty' good, but with (for me massive) upgrade, I hoped for sharper clearer 'everything'. In my simple mind, I saw lots of screenshots of setups, where the graphic showed 'ultra'. I wondered if it is the complex aircraft, my lovely A2A Cessna 172, I read fleetingly somewhere that there was potential in that direction, but even if so, what to do. You have cheered me up, I was 86 `July 18th, and the new computer was my 'treat'. It is super, P3D ver 3 with 20+ GB of megascenery to load, took 5/6 minutes, now about 70 seconds. I am much better of, but I guess I am greedy.
Lots of nice thoughts and thanks.....Alan
Hi Blackbird7,
Just to let you know, Lewis of A2A started a theme, re complex aircraft at initialisation in P3D, it is bugged, use a default P3D aircraft as the default, you can set the Ultra setting 4036x4036 in the Graphics Display, and it stays, change aircraft, for me my Cessna172, and you still have the ultra setting. So once again an A2A initiated cure for a P3D problem. I now have the ultra display setting I so much desired, but alway start of with a P3D aircraft, then move to the complex A2A aircraft. Beautiful results. I was certainly not the only one with the 'problem'. The P3D forum could not comprehend my question.
I repeat my nice thoughts and thanks......Alan

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

What resolution are you running at? For example, you will get much better FPS performance at 1080 than you will at 4K rez
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

crippy wrote:What resolution are you running at? For example, you will get much better FPS performance at 1080 than you will at 4K rez
Sure, but it's generally a good idea to run at your monitor's resolution.

I have a fairly beefy system and while I technically can run with all the sliders to the right most of the time without taking a huge FPS hit, P3D crashes a lot when I do, usually in terrain.dll or ntdll.dll. I've verified my overclock with a couple 12 hour runs of Prime95 and OCCT, so I don't think that's it. Dropping a couple of them down one notch seems to resolve that. I'm hoping that starts being improved on now that the VAS issue is sorted with 64 bit. I keep my FPS locked to 30, which I think is a good smooth compromise between FPS and visuals, although like I said I can generally run pretty far right anyways. I have every nearly every ORBX scenery they make, and a big handful of Flightbeam, FlyTampa, and FSDT sceneries, ASP4, etc. I'm pretty happy with P3Dv4 so far, I just wish it was less crashy on high settings. Sometimes I can get a 3 hour flight in with all the sliders right, but in some areas (Near OG39 for whatever reason) I can't even get 5 minutes.

-stefan

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I don't think your going to hit the top top end for a while yet, I wouldn't even dream of getting anywhere near it with any current hardware, esp given the room wanted for the new things to come.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”