Chris Nolan's Dunkirk

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Chris Nolan's Dunkirk

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Just watched Dunkirk by Christopher Nolan:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cmgiys2n1o[/youtube]

[no spoilers] :wink:
First let me say, I recommend the movie with both hands. Brilliantly developed story by director and writer Chris Nolan in three main time lines. One time line on the beach, one at sea and one in the air. :mrgreen: Movie is very tense and kept me on the edge of the chair for two hours with it's pace and incredible soundtrack.

In few words you may say - "It's a Spitfire movie!" - go see it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Chris Nolan's Dunkirk

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hows to stack up against the classic Dunkirk film with Sir John Mills?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ssnake51
Airman

Post by Ssnake51 »

Didn't care for the movie as much as you did, Will. Too much music for my taste. Nolan relied too much on it to try and create tension. Little slower paced than I was expecting considering how short the movie is. Felt much longer to me.

However, the flying segments were quite wonderful. So would still recommend others go see the movie. Just wish the whole movie had been about the flying. If only Nolan had made a Battle of Britain film instead. :wink:

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hows to stack up against the classic Dunkirk film with Sir John Mills?

thanks,
Lewis
Lewis, I haven't watched the one from 1958. More air battle here, I guess. :mrgreen:
Ssnake51 wrote:Didn't care for the movie as much as you did, Will. Too much music for my taste. Nolan relied too much on it to try and create tension. Little slower paced than I was expecting considering how short the movie is. Felt much longer to me.

However, the flying segments were quite wonderful. So would still recommend others go see the movie. Just wish the whole movie had been about the flying. If only Nolan had made a Battle of Britain film instead. :wink:
I like how Nolan, manged to recreate the feeling of being there. Many people criticize the film of lacking characters depth and a good story line. I think by creating this visual experience, the way he presented it, the director managed to emphasize on what the viewers need to see, hear and feel. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Ssnake51
Airman

Post by Ssnake51 »

LZ-WIL wrote: I like how Nolan, manged to recreate the feeling of being there. Many people criticize the film of lacking characters depth and a good story line. I think by creating this visual experience, the way he presented it, the director managed to emphasize on what the viewers need to see, hear and feel. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
How did you feel about the two characters using a wounded person to try and get off the beach ahead of all the other poor blokes waiting for help? To be honest, I couldn't feel much sympathy for them.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

There is a bit of air action in the original and some very thought provoking moments, including a brilliant reference by a shell shocked drunk at a pub about the war having started in 1939 and not just recently as he rants about his friends and colleagues dying in the battle of the Atlantic. And of course the classic Sir John Mill's the quint essentially amazing war film actor.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

I'm hearing the movie is well worth the effort to go see. Good or bad, I love war movies, and would like to judge for myself as to how good or bad the movie is for me, so I'll just have to go see it.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :roll:

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

As we're on the subject, I thought people might be interested in this. 'Felicity' is a Cambridge resident, permanently moored on the River Cam. These days, she is a small house-boat but in 1940 she was one of the 'little ships' that crossed the English Channel to take British and French soldiers off the beaches at Dunkirk. In the transom, there is a brass plaque engraved with 'Dunkirk 1940'.

Here is more information about her: http://www.adls.org.uk/t1/node/604

:)

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Nice shots of a still good looking boat! :wink:

Cheerz,
Will

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Thanks for the extra pics Paul, amazing stuff 8)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”