How long is the sale?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply

Which aircraft?

Poll ended at 28 Jul 2017, 16:26

Piper Cherokee
74%
Cessna Skylane
26%

Total votes: 19

lampexxl
Airman Basic

How long is the sale?

Post by lampexxl »

Hello Pilots

I' m new at this forum and I wanted to ask how long this sale is, because I finally wanna buy an A2A Aircraft for the FSX.
Secondly I wanna ask you, which aircraft you would buy if you have to decide between the Piper Cherokee and the Cessna Skylane.

Yours faithfully
lampexxl ;)

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: How long is the sale?

Post by AviationAtWar »

I'd expect the sale to run until Saturday or Sunday.

I voted Cherokee because that's what I bought last night. :D

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

I'm pretty evenly split which one I like better, but if I could pick one and only one it would be the Cherokee.
Really it's a moot point, though, because once you experience an A2A aircraft, you're going to want to collect them all.

lampexxl
Airman Basic

Post by lampexxl »

Ok, I have seen that 3 people think, the cherokee would be the best or they would buy it.

But in my opinion a disadvantage is that you can' t switch the fuel tank selector in the cheroke on *both*.
+ You haven' t got the cool tow bar feature.

What would you say about that? :)

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

They are both excellent, so for sure you can't go wrong either way. I voted Cherokee because I like the vintage style. :)

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Skylane: Cessna style of flying, Modern 00s era panel with full AP, cruises around 140kts, long range, variable pitch prop.

Cherokee: Piper style of flying, Vintage 60s era panel with simple AP, cruises around 120ks, medium range, fixed prop.

By style of flying I mean, Cessna and Piper singles generally each have common traits for each manufacturer...such as Cessna's high wing behaviors and Piper's fuel switching procedure.

Just ask your self which style you prefer. Between the two, I prefer the Cherokee a little more because I am drawn to the vintage panel. IMHO the Cherokee has some intangibles that make it one of the best GA planes ever made for FS, even slightly better than the fantastic Comanche.

The Skylane is probably the best 'all around' GA in terms of performance and short field capability. Of the A2A fleet, it is probably the 'Jack of All Trade's plane.

I like to compare the planes to cars. This is how I would compare the GA fleet to cars.
172 = modern economy car...the car you would teach your kids to drive in.
Cherokee = vintage economy car...the reliable workhorse daily driver car ideal for first time car owners
182 = modern small SUV or crossover...jack of all trades 4x4 car that can take trips deep into back country
Comanche = vintage muscle car...comfortable fast cruiser ideal for long cross country trips
T-6= training for the super car...will provide excellent training and a comfortable cruiser...reminds me of chugging along in a Harley for some reason.
P-51 Civilian = vintage super car...super car that demands high level proficiency and will give high level rewards respectively...really fast, great range (comparable to turboprops and bizjets), plus it looks and sounds awesome.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

To me, the Cherokee has more character than either of the Cessna's and I fly it more than I do the 182. But I spend much more time in the Comanche and Spitfire, so they would be my recommendations. The Comanche builds on the character of the Cherokee, and the Spitfire is just magic to fly, plus you get to try 3 different propellers.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope I haven't confused you even more. It's very daunting trying to decide which one first, but I can guarantee you'll be back for more purchases.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

The sale is until the end of Airventure 2017. On the planes I have them both and they both have their unique character. If you would like to try a constant speed prop plane - go for the Skylane it has more power and is more faster. If you want a smaller plane - choose the Cherokee. It is an amazing very stable to fly aircraft with scent of the '60's. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

lampexxl
Airman Basic

Post by lampexxl »

Ok, Thank You for all your replies. :)

I think I' m going to buy the Cessna Skylane + the Piper Comanche.
The Skylane is good for something like bush flying ;) or landing on short runways and the Comanche for faster flying. :D

But seriously, I' m not sure if I should buy the cherokee. I will see. It would be cool if somebody knows the maximum ranges of the 3 planes.

Best regards
lampexxl :)

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

lampexxl wrote:Ok, Thank You for all your replies. :)

The Skylane is good for something like bush flying ;) or landing on short runways and the Comanche for faster flying. :D

But seriously, I' m not sure if I should buy the cherokee. I will see. It would be cool if somebody knows the maximum ranges of the 3 planes.

Best regards
What is your criteria for a plane? Long range? Speed? STOL ability? Complexity? Ease of flying?

Another thing to note, A2A planes are the closest thing in flight sim to real world flying. You do preflight checks, follow checklists, observe POH limitations...etc (You don't have to do those things, but you greatly increase the risk of aircraft failure if you don't...just like realworld) The A2A planes feature wear and tear, and the rate of wear and tear is based on your flying abilities.

Also like real airplanes, more complex airplanes require greater skill to fly well. Like the real world, it is a good idea to learn these aircraft as you would in real life. You start out in the simple aircraft, become proficient, move on to more complex aircraft. For example, I got my private license in a 172 and got my high performance endorsement in a Comanche. Most pilots learn to fly with a similar path.

So if you are new to accusim airplanes, you might be wise to first start with an entry level plane. You will learn more, you'll understand what makes these airplanes 'tick'. That way when you do get to the complex airplane, you will enjoy it more because you will really know how to fly it. The 172 is a fantastic trainer, it makes you work a little more to fly well. The Cherokee is one of the easiest flying airplanes ever built. Both are excellent for first timers.

Anyway, hope this advice helps.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

lampexxl
Airman Basic

Post by lampexxl »

pilottj wrote:
lampexxl wrote:Ok, Thank You for all your replies. :)

Best regards
What is your criteria for a plane? Long range? Speed? STOL ability? Complexity? Ease of flying?

Another thing to note, A2A planes are the closest thing in flight sim to real world flying. You do preflight checks, follow checklists, observe POH limitations...etc (You don't have to do those things, but you greatly increase the risk of aircraft failure if you don't...just like realworld) The A2A planes feature wear and tear, and the rate of wear and tear is based on your flying abilities.

Also like real airplanes, more complex airplanes require greater skill to fly well. Like the real world, it is a good idea to learn these aircraft as you would in real life. You start out in the simple aircraft, become proficient, move on to more complex aircraft. For example, I got my private license in a 172 and got my high performance endorsement in a Comanche. Most pilots learn to fly with a similar path.

So if you are new to accusim airplanes, you might be wise to first start with an entry level plane. You will learn more, you'll understand what makes these airplanes 'tick'. That way when you do get to the complex airplane, you will enjoy it more because you will really know how to fly it. The 172 is a fantastic trainer, it makes you work a little more to fly well. The Cherokee is one of the easiest flying airplanes ever built. Both are excellent for first timers.

Anyway, hope this advice helps.

Cheers
TJ
Thank You, yes it helps me. :) I bought the Cessna Skylane and the Piper Comanche.

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

Lol best advice I got earlier on the forum was buy them all :D

I would suggest getting both. Then you have the both of best worlds. A trainer and a step up higher speed bird.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Get both plus the comanche
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”