Severe Turbulence

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Orlaam
Senior Airman

Severe Turbulence

Post by Orlaam »

Has AS16 beefed up their wind effects? I mean seriously I find times where all my aircraft are being thrown around like a hurricane. I just tried taking the PMDG 744 QOTSII into PHL. I should have looked at the Wx prior, but it didn't look awful from the overall METAR. I mean TS reported, but very low winds (~5 knots). I was literally thrown into a steep dive and complete upset. I've never had that. I lost about 10,000 feet in a few seconds. I decided to regain it and try to keep going but the approach was a joke. Stalls, fluctuating speeds all over the place, a complete failure. I finally just closed the sim. I even backed out and lowered the wind controls in AS16 to very low settings.

I have kinda experienced this in the Comanche, but it was manageable. IOW, I had to disco AP and hand fly but it was rough and not ideal. RW would have been a mess for sure.

What I find puzzling is that I keep my wind settings low. 30% or so across the board and enhanced turb off. It's like something changed.
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Severe Turbulence

Post by AKar »

In my experience, unless you tweak the settings, the AS16 puts totally unrealistic amounts of turbulence when TS is around, almost making such circumstances unflyable. Fine, if inside some tropical storm cell or something, but it appears that entire "area" is affected by this severe turbulence, even if some regular summer shower clouds were avoided with some margin. I haven't tried the ASP4 yet.

-Esa

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

ASN and 16 both have strong turbulence effects. I've turned mine down as well to get something a little more believable.

There were some strong TS in the area while surface winds were light. Unless you flew under or into the storm I wouldn't necessarily expect such severe consequences.

IRL, I would remain beyond 15NM in front of a storm system and avoid flying under the anvil to be extra safe. While remaining in clear blue skies, I've once come within 10NM of a line of TS with tops at FL430. You could feel the bumps beginning and I guess it's from the turbulent air being displaced by the storms.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I've had this problem too, but I noticed I had the "enhanced turbulence" set to On in the settings of Active Sky. This option doesn't work well with more advanced aircraft. Without I get much more reasonable turbulence.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Post by Orlaam »

It's just weird. I have had the wind settings turned way down. Been this way since Active Sky was developing for FS9. Advanced add-ons never liked wind shifts. After almost two years in FSX, I've yet to have an unflyable situation. :?
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Turn off Enhanced Turbulence. Use the Historical Weather option to set the same weather as your problematic flight. You should note an improvement.

Seeya
ATB

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Post by Orlaam »

Paughco wrote:Turn off Enhanced Turbulence. Use the Historical Weather option to set the same weather as your problematic flight. You should note an improvement.

Seeya
ATB

Enhanced Turb was off IIRC. Always has been. Nothing worked last night, even lowering a bunch of setting and applying to current wx. Oh well. I've tried setting things even lower and I'll try again.
Chris J.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I'm new to P3D with my purchase of v4. I'm also new to Active Sky and my first few flights were horrendous with turbulence with the Connie crew giving heavy sighs of relief (or exhaustion) upon turning onto taxiway from runway. So far I'm pretty happy with my current settings. I get lots of bumps and thumps but the constant heavy to severe turbulence is much reduced. I started with Realilstic Weather in ASP4 and then made the below changes. I haven't messed with any other wind settings yet.

Current settings;
Cloud Options---
Max Cloud turb=90 (default 100)
Wind Options---
Max wind turb=80 (default 100)
Turb effect scale=60 (default 70)
Max wind shear=40 (default 50)
Enhanced turb=Unticked (default unticked)
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”