Duxford: gold or silver?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Redglyph
Senior Airman

Duxford: gold or silver?

Post by Redglyph »

Hey there :)

Since I missed the earlier events this year, I'm thinking of attending September's show.

But I've never been there, and it's a bit far for me so I'm trying to get the most out of it, may I ask some advice to those who've been there - I suppose it's more or less the same for any of the air shows. Is the gold pass really worth it?

Any particular gotcha, or must, that I should be aware of?
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Duxford: gold or silver?

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I attended the Duxford airshows two summers ago, last September, and earlier
this month. I bought the Gold Pass for all three weekends.

I also bought the 'lunch' option for the first two weekends but this year decided
against that option as it seemed to me to be too expensive and I found it easier
to just grab something from one of the many food vendors there.

Having the 'shelter' of the Gold Pass tent and the tables and chairs therein was
definitely worth it. The sun gets mighty warm and if it rains, well that speaks
for itself.

There is also a bar in the tent for liquid refreshment and a coffee & snacks setup
as well.

You can come and go as you please. I always arrive fairly early and lay claim
to a chair at a table near the show side, always remembering to bring a jacket
or sweatshirt to put over the back of the chair to 'hold it' when I'm out walking
the flight line, etc. In every case I met interesting folks who came and also sat
at the same table....there are 6 chairs at each round table.

There are 3 or 4 trailers that provide the loo/wash room/toilet facilities. One male
and one female entrance in each so that is quite convenient.

Lots of folks stake out a seat in the rows of chairs set out between the tent and the
perimeter fence on the flight line side. If you intend to take lots of photos and
movie footage it is best to get there very early and lay claim to a seat in the front
row or the very last row, as standing up in the seating area to 'shoot' pix during the
show is frowned upon.

I only sat in one of the outside chairs the first year. The past two years I watched the
show and took pix/videos while either standing behind the last row of seats of somewhere
in the large area between the tent and the outdoor seating, always mindful of not blocking
some other blokes view :)

Allow plenty of time to visit the various hangars before the show starts. I get there early
and do the flight line walk then to the hangars, working my way back to the tent.

So, being a 'solo traveler', having a place to leave my jacket and backpack in a relatively
secure place while I was out walking about was in itself worth the price.

Also, unless they are doing a 'bag check', with your pre-paid Gold Pass credentials you
can avoid the long will call line and go in the red door on the right. On Saturday this year
they were doing a cursory bag check so the line meandered out into and around the parking lot.
It took me 30-45 minutes to get in. On Sunday I left everything at my lodgings and just carried
my camera and put the other small items I needed in my pockets to avoid th bag check line.
As luck would have it, that day they dispensed with the bag check! Thus another reason to
arrive early. If they are doing the check, the later you arrive the longer the line will be.
Paul
i7-4790K @4.4Ghz OC - ASUS Z97-A- 16GB Corsair 1600mHz - GTX 760 2GB
240GB + 500GB EVO SSD's - 2x500GB and 1x2TB WD Black 7200 RPM drives

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

If it's your first time you might be able to skip all that posh nonsense and just go for standard. The museums are going to keep you busy and there's always places to watch the airshow (ground warfare side is good ;) ).

Cheers,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Cheers, thanks for the advice and all the tips! :D
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

norfolkmike
Senior Airman

Post by norfolkmike »

Our routine is simple.

Get there EARLY! You might think it'll make for a long day, and you'd be correct, but trust me...you'll need it!

Did I mention getting there early? Okay, so its worth mentioning again. Take a portable picnic chair, chain and padlock! Stake your pitch by the railings (we usually opt for a point in front of the American Hangar, as the views are good, and the loos are handy). Once staked, Duxford's delights are there for you to explore. Start with your main areas of interest as you aren't going to see it all!

The Flight Line walk is a must, as it gives you the opportunity to get up close-ish to the display aircraft (Ignore the hype over the speaker system, you'll get close, but not as close as they sometimes imply!). It costs £5:00, and it'll get you some decent static shots. For some bizarre reason they often tend to stick USAAF re-enactors in front of RAF kites, and RAF 'chaps' in front of American and German iron, so you'll have to do some manoeuvring to avoid them spoiling your shots.

Tea and Coffee is bloody expensive, so live on the cold drinks you brought with you.

Don't attempt to photograph the massed Spitfire formations. No point, and ultimately disappointing. Just watch, listen and weep (sunglasses obligatory for dignity reasons).

The vintage static airliners are usually open to viewing. Its another £5:00, but they have a fair repertoire of airliners, the cockpits of which are viewable (but not sit-able). At my age its nostalgia, but for anyone younger it'll still be interesting to see what the captains of the day had to fly and navigate with!

The B:17 team often use the Airshows to grant a one day membership to people wanting a peek inside, at a price. Its a worthy cause for sure, but I have to admit, I've not yet done it. Due to the numbers it always seems a bit whistle-stop, but then again, I live close enough to Duxford to justify the annual membership (adds a reminder to diary!) :oops:

Oh, get there EARLY!! :lol:

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

:shock:

Ouch ... exactly how early? :D

norfolkmike
Senior Airman

Post by norfolkmike »

07:30 isn't too early!

Much after that and your prime photo positions will be long gone! You think the paparazzi can get a trot on when they've spotted a celeb with protruding nipples? They wouldn't have a hope against a Duxford spotter with a fetish for a Merlin! Why they need to be THAT close with lenses as long as telegraph poles beats me, but its dog eat dog out there! Of course, that is assuming you want to be right against the railings when the aircraft taxi in (or out), and if that's not the case, you could be justified in getting there a little later.

You WILL miss the smell of Octane as the vintage warbirds taxi past however, and for me at least, the opportunity to deeply inhale Mustangs, B17s and Spitfires is (a significant) part of the appeal. The jet fuel aroma emitted from the Vampires last year was positively orgasmic!

Lewis mentioned staking a pitch by the Land Warfare hangar, and the advise is generally good. However, since the Shoreham disaster and subsequent tightening of the already tight rules, the public access to the grass area between the hangar and taxiway has been restricted. The American Hangar (grass frontage) is a good compromise, and affords a better view of incoming Red Arrows (for example) due to the approach path now being angled to avoid overflying the village.

Taken from the aforementioned spot.

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Superb!

Haha, great! Thanks for the tips, I was expecting crowd, but would probably have been too optimistic yet, I'll adjust my alarm clock. :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”