P3D Addons location for A2A

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
smoothflight
Airman

P3D Addons location for A2A

Post by smoothflight »

It looks like A2A are supporting the P3D addons method which means A2A Aircraft could install into %userprofile%\documents\Prepar3d V4 Addons.

With many people opting for smallish SSD boot OS devices, this approach could be problematic for some people.

I have set up a Symbolic Link to get these and other addon files off my SSD, but surely it would have been better for all concerned if A2A just installed the "old fashioned" way into SimObjects.

What are your thoughts Lewis?
Last edited by smoothflight on 20 Jul 2017, 08:20, edited 2 times in total.

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Re: P3D Addons location for A2A

Post by Mickel »

You don't need to install them there. You can select any location. Mine are in P:\Program Files\A2A. P3D knows where they are and fetches them as required. Not seen anything not work with that.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

As I understand it 'Install to anywhere you like' simply means installing the whole file structure to another folder. If I want to install into P3Dv4 in the traditional method it would simply mean another A2A folder containing exactly the same file structure as in My Documents. Which seems like a pointless exercise.

Or am I wrong?
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

smoothflight
Airman

Post by smoothflight »

Mickel wrote:You don't need to install them there. You can select any location. Mine are in P:\Program Files\A2A. P3D knows where they are and fetches them as required. Not seen anything not work with that.
It's causing some grief for EZDok2 as it has difficulty finding all the addon aircraft scattered all over the place.

I appreciate the fact that A2A give the user a choice where to put the addon, so I take back part of what I said in my OP.

Other addons don't give the option tho, and will install into the documents folder by default and risk bloating the SSD.

IMHO, what P3Dv4 thinks is greater flexibility actually just makes things more complex.

There are now 2 sets of addons.cfg, exe.xml and dll.xml files (In ProgramData and Appdate/Roaming) that are accessed as P3Dv4 loads.

An addon can install itself anywhere now, and add references to either of these file sets.

It just seems a bit messy to me.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Using the Windows folder relocation procedure, I always move the My Documents folder over to my 4TB hard drive, as a matter of course nowadays. Any install that uses the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder gets put in there by default.

Steve.

Edit:
Actually. Since UN-installing P3Dv3 from its dedicated SSD, I am now using a Junction Link, to further move said P3Dv4 Add-ons folder, into the now practically empty SSD.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Just use the installer to install into your personal setup.

For me on my laptop I have my docs set to my e; drive as I have a small SSD just for the OS and then default P3Dv4 addon location in my docs on my E drive.

On my desktop I setup an Addon folder on my F drive called P3D addons and just installed into that using the advanced option of our installer.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hello Lewis. How's the Spitfire port coming along? :P

I ask because I just tried it in FSX and damn, I'd forgotten how flat and lifeless the environment looked. Can't wait for the P3Dv4 version.

Mischievously,

Steve.

:)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good but obviously it's Oshkosh trip at the moment so it's in the hands of some flyers to play with whilst we are away and then should come back to some good reports to work on extra to the known things left to do.

Thanks,
Lewis

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

That's encouraging and thanks for the reply. I will wait with baited breath, but not too long. I'm having withdrawal symptoms. :wink:

Have fun at Oshkosh.

Steve.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

bladerunner900 wrote:That's encouraging and thanks for the reply. I will wait with baited breath, but not too long. I'm having withdrawal symptoms. :wink:

Have fun at Oshkosh.

Steve.
Made it here now. I'm sure there's some spitd just up the road I'll post some pics on A2A fb for you to keep you going for a bit longer hehe

Cheers,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”