Woman dies from jet blast on Maho Beach

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

This is horrible of course, and unfortunately bound to happen sooner or later:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/wom ... ar-BBEkmRB

stiz
BDG

Re: Woman dies from jet blast on Maho Beach

Post by stiz »

Police said the 57-year-old woman had been holding on to the fence before the force of the jet engines threw her backwards, causing serious injury.
considering the amount of warning signs there are along that fence ... 0 sympathy from me and its a perfect illustration on WHY the signs are there in the first place!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Very sad but:

Natural selection in action...... :roll:

The sad fact is that now the beach will perhaps be closed for the majority because there are still plenty of morons out there who can't/won't read.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

nothing to add... darwinism at its best. I've actually waited for a headshot by a stone, but the blast itself does it as well... but I doubt people will learn anything from this.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

You pays your money and you takes your chances. Freedom has its price. I'll take freedom over big brother making me safe whether I like it or not.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yup, someone passed away which is sad but for sure the signs and barriers give a clue similar to railway crossings.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Danger.jpg
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

An exaggeration but not by much.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yfb_usoubg[/youtube]

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Yep - just because something may be inherently dangerous - I certainly don't need the government making decisions for me... It wasn't that she accidentally wandered into the jet blast - she purposefully chose to be there for the thrill - I can certainly relate... I jump out of perfectly good airplanes - so I'm used to Darwin comments - I also realize if anything goes wrong I have nobody to blame but myself - but relying on myself is part of the thrill...

"Pushing Tin" - a true classic (right up there with "The Usual Suspects" and "Midnight Run") - still have to watch it every couple of years...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Lewis, that sign somehow looks like water skiing behind an airplane...

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Post by Orlaam »

Well, to be fair, she didn't die from the jet blast, she died from blunt force trauma to the head. The video of them performing CPR shows a person DRT. Eyes wide open, ashen skin. She was dead within seconds.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I suspect they will install a barrier wall next to beacon hill road between the beach.
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

I think a huge part of the problem in situations like this is a group mentality that fosters disregard for what would otherwise be a common sense avoidance of danger. Yes, there are signs placarded all over the beach and fence warning people to stay clear, but when a gaggle of laughing tourists congregate together and cling to the fence during a jet takeoff, the normal sense of danger gets mitigated into participating into a 'fun' experience simply because everyone else there is doing it.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

The bottom line is we all make bad decisions and fortunately most of the time it is not fatal. Think about all the stupid things you have done in your life especially when you were young. Call it luck or whatever we are all a hair's breath from extinction on a regular basis.

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
ImageImage
ImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

dvm wrote:The bottom line is we all make bad decisions and fortunately most of the time it is not fatal.
Exactly. That's about it there is to comment on these ones, we often don't even notice how potentially bad choices we truly make while getting out of it daily.

I'd think few people actually realize the danger involved: if one's ever had a good jet blast unprepared, one surely can appreciate that it can push you over and sadly sometimes people unexpectedly falling over tend to hit something with their heads.

(If I visited the beach, could I resist the fence...hmm.)

-Esa

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

This thread just reminded me of a great example how close we come to oblivion so many times in our lives. When I worked on the flight deck a very noisy and chaotic place I was only inches from walking just behind a turning A4s tailpipe which is exactly head high when a shipmate grabbed my shoulder and pulled me to safety. That is one of the known close calls, what about all the close calls we just don't know about and have no control over ?

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”