Question regarding repurchase FSX=>P3D

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Question regarding repurchase FSX=>P3D

Post by Oracle427 »

Nick,

Yet, the 172 sim *does* have FSX explicity listed in the software license. If I downloaded a 172 license that said it works with any flight simulator, I would expect that the software would be maintained to work with any flight simulator. However, it is made only for FSX, unless I purchased the P3D version or the bundle version that offers both versions. You do get what you pay for.

Now, I also own an FSX only fleet. Maybe one day, I'll go over to P3D, but I can still fly FSX even while I have P3D. I have nearly a half dozen flight simulators on my machine as each one offers something the other does not have whether it is the particular aircraft, or the scenarios or the systems modeling.

What I don't quite understand is why a business that has to spend real time and energy on creating and maintaining what is effectively a whole new product would be expected to do it for free. Scenery files do not have to be recompiled or variables and functions altered, tested and compared to historical results. Features don't need to be spec'd out and developed into the sceneries to comply with different functionality in the base flight sim engine.

Now the simpler add-ons really don't need much work to migrate into the P3D world. They rely largely on the P3D engine to do the heavy lifting and provide visuals and parameters in the form of configuration files. Much less effort to manage and maintain over the long haul and therefore much less costly if one is running a business. If we wanted A2A to release more simple add-ons such as the Silver Wings types that look pretty but lack deep flight and systems fidelity, then I might expect them to offer free upgrade paths. I do IT project management for a living and it is amazing how quickly time and money evaporates with small teams. I'm blessed that I have worked for massive companies where money is always constrained, but it is largely a matter of not asking for too little at the start. I don't envy those who are running a small business and trying to do the same!

Nice analogy with DVD and Blueray!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

This is so simple that it is almost rediculous to have these discussions.

I'm always left wondering where the enjoyment of paying people for making superior products for us is? I enjoy paying for things I love. It's really an honor to be paying A2A Simulations 50 bucks or so for hours, hours, hours, and more hours of pure fun, enjoyment, and learning. It's comparable to a few tickets at the cinema, or, say, a few meals at a McDonalds (both will usually leave you stuffed but not satiated).

As a classical pianist I know how frustrating it is to do my job at a professional level and not get paid properly - "Why don't you just play a few pieces for us, since you already can play them?", or "We'll supply you with good chances at promoting yourself."

Never was a plumber asked by a stranger to come fix your toilet for promotion or "just because he can".

So, aside from the petty entitlement of wanting to magically have complex software work in a vastly different platform and not pay for it, I think it is worth stepping back and finding joy at sustaining a business that brings so much fun and learning into our lives. Flightsim has become a huge and fulfulling hobby for me, and this is thanks to quality providers such as A2A, Orbx, and indeed Lockheed Martin.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

medx421
Airman First Class

Post by medx421 »

And maybe I am just in the minority in that I don't wish to have multiple platforms. I think some of the developers of scenery and addons would challenge your assertion that little effort is involved in the process. Their developer statements exist quite to the contrary. As this organization has stated though, it can't speak for the others. Other developers just have different philosophies of what their time and energy is worth as costs are passed down to the consumers. A2A isn't going to lose any customers (including myself) or money out of this, and probably stands to make more based on their business decision. The DVD analogy was actually a very good one. In that case though, the DVD doesn't cost more than the player itself.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

DVD and Blue Ray have economies of scale. I suspect that A2A will never sell as many licenses for their entire fleet for entenity as compared to how many copies of a popular DVD or Blueray are sold in a month.

Perhaps the other vendors have a lot of work to do. In any case, I trust that all of their models are sustainable, as is this one, for me at least.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

medx421
Airman First Class

Post by medx421 »

There, as I stated I will remain a customer and I just re-purchased the C182. The others will have to come in due time. I believe in the product and the enjoyment it brings. While I don't agree with the business decisions, I choose to remain a loyal customer.

Nick

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”