Question regarding repurchase FSX=>P3D

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Question regarding repurchase FSX=>P3D

Post by MatzeH84 »

I believe this question must have been anwered before, however I don't find any definitive answer..
I have the whole GA fleet plus the propliners and T6 for FSX. Since I'm intending to move to P3Dv4 now, I have to get the according licences of course.
In the shop one can buy a bundle (FSX+P3D), which is 20$ more than the single FSX version. However I don't see any option to switch a FSX license to a bundle option.
Is it possible to 'upgrade', or do I really have to buy the whole product again for P3D?

Best,
Matthias
Kind regards, Matthias

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Question regarding repurchase FSX=>P3D

Post by bladerunner900 »

There is no 'upgrade' policy. You will have to buy them all again for P3D.

I personally made the decision to switch to P3D during v2.xx, after buying the FSX C172. So not so painful for me, but I could see the 'writing on the wall' back then, so to speak.

Steve.

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Sad. In this case my A2A fleet will be considerable smaller in the future.. rebuying addons worth well over 300$ for the full price again is going over my budget.
However I cannot understand a policy where you can buy a 60$ combo licence, but cannot upgrade your 40$ regular licence to this state. This way existing long-term customers pay way more than a new guy coming around saving 20$. But I guess it makes no sense to take that discussion any further.
Kind regards, Matthias

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

I don't get it either and their reasoning falls a bit short, it probably has to do with LM's licensing otherwise I think they would have given us a break.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

Poppet
Airman First Class

Post by Poppet »

MatzeH84 wrote:rebuying addons worth well over 300$ for the full price again is going over my budget.
Well Matthias, You can only fly one plane at a time :)

---

Regarding Aircraft, FSX and Prepar3D v4 are 2 different environments to work with and will require these planes (software) to be rebuilt again, This of course takes time and money.

I like other folks will be more then happy to pay full price to have a native Prepar3D v4 compatible Installer
Elaine Dixon

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MatzeH84 wrote:Sad. In this case my A2A fleet will be considerable smaller in the future.. rebuying addons worth well over 300$ for the full price again is going over my budget.
However I cannot understand a policy where you can buy a 60$ combo license, but cannot upgrade your 40$ regular license to this state. This way existing long-term customers pay way more than a new guy coming around saving 20$. But I guess it makes no sense to take that discussion any further.
Please understand that FSX and P3D are two different simulations. There seems to be an issue that pops up from time to time as it has here where someone expresses dismay that A2A isn't more "aggressive" with it's purchase policies when someone decides they want to switch simulations from one to the other.
Although there are similarities between FSX and P3D, there is a HUGE difference between development considerations inside A2A when it comes down to the basic development, coding, and resource time and expense related to airplanes developed for P3D. These planes not only must meet the extremely high A2A standard for excellence but as well comply with the legalities involved with aircraft development for P3D as laid down on A2A by Lockheed Martin.
In other words, there is a LOT involved not only in what A2A has to do to be in complete compliance with the legal and scientific end of all this but as well for the customer as the customer makes the decision as to which simulator the customer wishes to use; FSX or P3D.

It has been and always will be A2A's policy to help its community in any way feasible with their CHOICE of simulation.
Notice I stress the word CHOICE. I stress this word to emphasize that some thought should go into the decision as to which simulation to use as the base for your simulation experience. Both FSX and P3D as I said are wonderful choices each in their own right, but once you decide, you must realize that no developer, A2A included can develop aircraft for each simulation without devoting specific resources and time to that specific effort.
A2A realizes that there will be people who want to use planes developed for P3D and people who want to continue using FSX which is still a robust and sturdy program and will remain this way for many years to come.
If on the other hand a person wishes to use P3D which is ALSO a wonderful simulation, A2A offers its customers aircraft specifically designed to comply with the P3D licensing requirements.

The bottom line on all this is that people wanting to switch from FSX to P3D can indeed do so, but realize that this is a decision totally out of the control of A2A. BOTH simulations, FSX and P3D as I said are great simulations. Some people will like one or the other or even both. The only thing asked of its customers by A2A is that they give thought to which simulation they wish to use and understand that aircraft purchased for the simulation of their choice must be developed for THAT simulation.
Dudley Henriques

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Dudley,

Very well said, and thank you for putting the explanation out there. I believe it would be useful to have this made a sticky topic.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I don't care too much about eye candy, I don't get OOM's. Would my life be better with P3D???
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

My perspective is this: I've been using P3D for now three full versions: v2 thru v4. That's the original $200 plus some $400 for relatively gradual, and partly unfinished upgrades. By upgrading, I don't jump any ship here, but just keep on with the continuing development instead of being left behind at an instant.

If I was coming along now, actually jumping a ship from FSX ecosystem into the P3D one, I'd figure the one-time payment of full amount for an addon is hardly a big deal if it carried me over even a single platform upgrade without a full charge again. Just in comparison.

Whether the lines are completely separate, or interchangeable via an "upgrade fee" (as the movement has been quite unidirectional here - otherwise it would likely be an "exchange fee"), I think it is simply a matter of company policy.

-Esa

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Dudley, I fully understand the point and am totally fine with it.
What's bothering me is just the fact that a new customer can get a combo licence for 60$, while existing customers who stood with A2A for years have to pay 80$ total. And I cannot understand the logic behind it, as the outcome is the same- a licence for both FSX and P3D.
If there would only be the choice between FSX or P3D for 40$ each, I wouldn't even bother to ask.

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk
Kind regards, Matthias

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

I just don't understand the argument. If somebody knew there was a chance they'd make the switch to P3D down the road, the bundle was the logical choice. It's a great deal. $60? I think most folks here get the professional license or bundle, don't they?

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hiya,
MatzeH84 wrote:Dudley, I fully understand the point and am totally fine with it.
What's bothering me is just the fact that a new customer can get a combo licence for 60$, while existing customers who stood with A2A for years have to pay 80$ total. And I cannot understand the logic behind it, as the outcome is the same- a licence for both FSX and P3D.
If there would only be the choice between FSX or P3D for 40$ each, I wouldn't even bother to ask.
Fully agree with Matthias. With P3D V4 being the future i think A2A would make there existing fan and consumer base very happy to provide upgrade prices for there P3D versions.

To say a P3D version is 100% new compared with the FSX is simply not true (which you can conclude of the existing pricing).

Kind regards,

Marcel

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

MatzeH84 wrote:Dudley, I fully understand the point and am totally fine with it.

Hi,

I fully agree with that. I could not have said it as well. I also own the entire fleet A2A purchased directly from the A2A site...

Kind Regards,
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|Rex|Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Rudder/Quadrant/Switch Panel|ThrustMaster Hotas Warthog|ActiveSky P3Dv4+Asca|Mce|All A2A

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Lockheed Martin P3D requires extensive development and support from our team as relates specifically to P3D. I think part of this might be that Accu-Sim works differently to what other developers do and this requires us to re-tool on a per-aircraft basis specifically to P3D. This new 64 bit P3Dv4 platform has kept our team pinned down redesigning and then testing our software for this new simulator. You have to remember that P3D is not FS11, 12, etc., but a completely new, independent simulator especially now with the required 64-bit programming from our dlls. This is the reason for the cost.

Regarding the bundles, we offered point-of-sale discounts way back for earlier versions of Prepar3D because it was very close to FSX, and considering some distribution limitations on our end, think of the bundle packages as legacy packages carried forward.

Perhaps most importantly, Prepar3D Version 4 is a whole new ball game. It's an entirely new 64-bit simulator and a solid, safe place to invest. We actually expect it will be a viable, cutting edge professional platform for a decade or more.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

Still not buying it. :lol:
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”