pop-ups on a separate screen

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
flammen1
Airman Basic

pop-ups on a separate screen

Post by flammen1 »

I (obviously) use the pop-ups when I fly (mostly, not always, my b-17)

I times of smaller screens and before HD, I would place my pop-ups on a separate small screen next to my main screen.

Small screens seem no longer available.

Do you have other ways of keeping pop-ups available, permanently, during flight?

Thanks

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: pop-ups on a separate screen

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I'm not sure I follow totally but you can undock and move them wherever you want that way?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

flammen1
Airman Basic

Post by flammen1 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:I'm not sure I follow totally but you can undock and move them wherever you want that way?

thanks,
Lewis
Apologies for not making myself clear.

I work on limited table space.

I used to use two screens: a main display for cockpit and a smaller one for popups such as my autopilot.

I am unable to find a smaller screen now and find that as I change views (from seat to seat for instance, in the cockpit), the pop-ups travel from the pilot view to another view and "park themselves" there. I then find myself having to re-open screens every time I want to use them. This is a less useful situation than I used to experience.

So, I turn to colleagues in the forum to ask for advice. How can I park my pop-ups so that they remain visible permanently? Is buying another larger screen the only solution? I don't particularly like having them open over my main cockpit view anyway, if you see what I mean. :-)

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

I bought two iPad 1 for $90 and an App called twomon, works flawless. I detach my PDF etc from my PMDG aircraft and resize them on my IPad's :wink:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Might be worth mentioning where about's you are, as the issue I think is more just sourcing some small screen options for you that you should be able to buy from all over the place. If you let us know where you are we might be able to find you some links to stores selling some options for your small screen source issues.

thanks,
Lewis

flammen1
Airman Basic

Post by flammen1 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Might be worth mentioning where about's you are, as the issue I think is more just sourcing some small screen options for you that you should be able to buy from all over the place. If you let us know where you are we might be able to find you some links to stores selling some options for your small screen source issues.

thanks,
Lewis
Thank you, Lewis and Rotorwash - in North East England, where my suppliers (large national chains with large online stores) do not stock the smaller sized screens I used to use (now that the expectation is for HD visuals - didn't use to be a problem). If iPads can function as second screens (so that I can push the pop-ups across from the main screen during flight) that would solve the problem, just did not seem to be the case from my research on the net. But your advice is much appreciated. The solution may have to be a slight smaller screen behind the main one ...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

OR.

You could stop fidgeting and fly the plane!

:D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

It might be best to just google, amazon and ebay. For example; http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/small-monitor

thanks,
Lewis

flammen1
Airman Basic

Post by flammen1 »

Ron Attwood wrote:OR.

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

flammen1 wrote:
Lewis - A2A wrote:Might be worth mentioning where about's you are, as the issue I think is more just sourcing some small screen options for you that you should be able to buy from all over the place. If you let us know where you are we might be able to find you some links to stores selling some options for your small screen source issues.

thanks,
Lewis
Thank you, Lewis and Rotorwash - in North East England, where my suppliers (large national chains with large online stores) do not stock the smaller sized screens I used to use (now that the expectation is for HD visuals - didn't use to be a problem). If iPads can function as second screens (so that I can push the pop-ups across from the main screen during flight) that would solve the problem, just did not seem to be the case from my research on the net. But your advice is much appreciated. The solution may have to be a slight smaller screen behind the main one ...
Look up an app called iDisplay (in the iTunes store), it should let you use your iPad as a second screen. I don't know how well it works, before I got my 2nd monitor I was having your same issue and it was an option back then.
ImageImage
ImageImage

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

spork wrote:Look up an app called iDisplay (in the iTunes store), it should let you use your iPad as a second screen. I don't know how well it works, before I got my 2nd monitor I was having your same issue and it was an option back then.
iDisplay doesn't cover all versions of the iPad and is twice as expensive as Twomon (in the iTunes store)

iPad one's, are real cheap, and readily available on eBay :wink:

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

Ron Attwood wrote:OR.

I guess, for us that don't mess around with repaint's, we have a little time for fidgeting, everyone to there own thing I suppose ? :wink:

Tomesk
Senior Airman

Post by Tomesk »

If you are talking about the screens like the A2A map disappearing when you change views, this is the solution.

In Panel.cfg, find the the screen(Window) you want to persist on the screen and add the bold red line:

[Window04]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,768
pixel_size=1024,768
window_pos= 0.000, 0.2
position=0
visible=1
ident=50
sizable=0
type=SPECIAL

gauge00=WoP3_b17!mapscreen, 255,1,770,766
gauge01=WoP3_b17!map_settings, 1,50,246,232

That example is the map screen for the B17. You should be able to do it for all the popup screens by adding type=SPECIAL line to the appropriate entry.
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”