So how are they all looking in P3D v4?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
xendoshi
Airman Basic

Post by xendoshi »

Since I cant fly it due to the store I bought it from has yet to update any of the A2A (except the 172)
I am feeling a bit left out and was just wanting some thoughts on it how it is?

hmm. . . well what I mean is, how is it to fly into airports or complete a long flight with these planes in P3D v4?
Been flying the 172, but that high wing. . sheesh, talk about blinders, at least I have TrackIR and can duck and
look out the window. and jumping between the 777 and the 172. . . the speed difference it'll kill ya!

I am looking forward to getting my hands on the PA-24 if and when the store I bought it from updates it.

Oh yea! Hi I am new! well not really "new", just never registered but read a lot on the forums here.
I live in North West Arkansas (KFYV). I can't say I got in on flight sim back in the early days, but I did start with FS 4.0 . . . . :shock:
Was always my dream to fly a plane, but this hobby will have to do.

I do have to say that while we have great visuals and all with P3D, it still doesn't come close to
what I feel was the best two Flight Sims.

First is The Flight Unlimited series (2 & 3) from Looking Glass studios and published by Eidos.
I still think it blows The modern day flight sims out of the water ESPECIALLY with ATC.
I remember the first time I wondered off the taxi way with the DHC-2. . . "Thank you for mowing the grass but please keep it on the taxiway".
What I remember best is ATC telling you to hold short all active runways and the ATC knew where you where, where the other planes where
and when you got to a hold short node And when it was safe to cross the active. . . that was in 1997. Wasn't till 2001 that MSFS got a basic ATC. . .
I also remember the jet blast you would get if you was too close to the airliners jetwash, another thing lacking in at least the MSFS/P3D.

Second is the FLY! series from Terminal Reality. This was good because well, first memory of a good systems flight sim. . . in fact that's how long I have been a
PMDG customer, with their 777 for FLY! 2.

I could go on, but I shall spare your eyes of me going down memory lane, sorry bout that!

It's nice to meet all of yall!

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Re: So how are they all looking in P3D v4?

Post by Adam_NZ »

xendoshi wrote:Second is the FLY! series from Terminal Reality. This was good because well, first memory of a good systems flight sim. . . in fact that's how long I have been a
Wow (showing our age) ... but YES!! ... FLY was a *beaut*. Something about the way the VC worked that made it stand out. Hard to put your finger on what it was, but it just had a great "feel".

For all the technical improvements (x64 etc.) I think P3Dv4 has also improved visually. Again, it's hard to isolate how/what/where, but it does look (and feel) significantly better. By the same token, all the updated A2A aircraft look better - particularly the ones that have polished or shiny liveries - a benefit of some lighting model tweaking by LM, I suspect.

Somehow the terrain also looks more convincing - or is that just placebo? Either way, I think you're in for a treat.

I could post endless v4 screenshots, but the main differences are in the way it performs in real time.

Adam.
--
Image--Image

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Am I the only one getting worst frame rates in V4 over V3? Same settings between both versions, scratching my head on this one...

Mike

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I am definitely noticing a visual improvement. Especially with my 32 bit textures. They are, more 'lustrous' somehow. Can't wait to get the Spitfire in this sim. Then I will probably remove v3 for good.

Environment wise, it seems more natural but does depend on the HD settings and I can't decide whether to disable it or not.

As for frame rates, there seems to be no change with it capped at 30 for now. I have increased settings slightly and SLI is peaking at around 80% at the moment. That's with ORBX regions for Europe, North America and PILOT'S FS Global Next Generation Ultimate. It was up to 100% with slightly lower settings in v3, so I still have some leeway with that.

Overall, I'm a happy camper so far, who'll be even happier when the Spitfire gets ported to v4. :D

Steve.

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Mikenor wrote:Am I the only one getting worst frame rates in V4 over V3? Same settings between both versions, scratching my head on this one...

Mike

What is your graphic card Mike?

With a lot of autogen, shadows and reflection I'm able to load my GTX1080 (Oced to 2.1 Ghz) at 100% by the time I reach 30-31 fps...

Disabling tree shadow cast free up my gpu to 50-60 fps.. About where I hit a CPU bottleneck any way (i5-4690k Oced to 4.7Ghz)

Hope this can offer a hint on what might be going on with your fps....
Cheers
Steph

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

salut Stephan, Quebecois?

My current GPU may be my downfall - I am using a GTX660TI. I've been thinking of upgrading my GPU but don't want to sink the dollars into it if the improvement will be marginal. I'm on I7 3.07 overclocked at 4GHz, with 16GB's of ram. I've had to reduce my settings in v4 over v3 just to be around the 31 to 32 fps at Flytampa's CYUL....

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Mikenor wrote:salut Stephan, Quebecois?

My current GPU may be my downfall - I am using a GTX660TI. I've been thinking of upgrading my GPU but don't want to sink the dollars into it if the improvement will be marginal. I'm on I7 3.07 overclocked at 4GHz, with 16GB's of ram. I've had to reduce my settings in v4 over v3 just to be around the 31 to 32 fps at Flytampa's CYUL....
Bingo, Chibougamau pour être exacte.. well, I moved from a 660ti to a 1080 and have zero regret(big VR addict here) but my dad still flies two 660ti in SLI in v2.5 and still seems happy....

The best would be if you could borrow a 1080 or 980ti from someone to test.. where do you live? I might be St Bagotville airship this weekend if you are in saguenay area?

I thing EVGA are getting rid of their stock of 980ti at something like 270$ right now...

Fly Tampa rendered YUL ?? I always found that default Montreal lack compared to YYZ.. now I know what my next purchase is!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

St-Lazare, a peu pres 25km ouest de Montreal - Saguenay is a bit of a drive, would have been great to meet ya! :)

Fly Tampa YUL is amazing, highly recommended.

I think I may just do that and see if I can pick up a 980 to test. My system was stellar in its day but is definitely showing its age...

Bonne fin de semaine!

Mike

xendoshi
Airman Basic

Post by xendoshi »

Adam_NZ wrote:
xendoshi wrote:Second is the FLY! series from Terminal Reality. This was good because well, first memory of a good systems flight sim. . . in fact that's how long I have been a
Wow (showing our age) ... but YES!! ... FLY was a *beaut*. Something about the way the VC worked that made it stand out. Hard to put your finger on what it was, but it just had a great "feel".

For all the technical improvements (x64 etc.) I think P3Dv4 has also improved visually. Again, it's hard to isolate how/what/where, but it does look (and feel) significantly better. By the same token, all the updated A2A aircraft look better - particularly the ones that have polished or shiny liveries - a benefit of some lighting model tweaking by LM, I suspect.

Somehow the terrain also looks more convincing - or is that just placebo? Either way, I think you're in for a treat.

I could post endless v4 screenshots, but the main differences are in the way it performs in real time.

Adam.
HA! I guess I am now at the age where I can start showing it lol.
I have been enjoying the 172 in KMEM and KCLT from FSdreamteam, and all the airports from Flight beam. Waiting on Orbx for the airports I got from them.
Been thinking about trying flytampa perhaps a canadian airport. I tend to shy away from the Mega airports from Aerosoft, I bought EIDW and never have been able to use it. . .
tried to install it into V4 but the taxiways and aprons wouldn't show, the terminal and all that stuff was there, but the runways where all messed up too.

Perhaps they will make it V4 compatible since there is no longer OOM.

Once I get my PA-24 I am going to fly from KSEZ to EGKA again as I did in v3, this time without crashing is very exciting.
I got the UT Live working for v4 and I can have 50% airline (through the app/ 100% set in sim) and fly out of KSFO from flight beam in the PMDG T7 and still
get 20-30 FPS, and even when its down to 15 (if I get all crazy with shadows) it still seems smooth somehow. .

Anyhoo it was nice to meet all yall and hopefully PCAviator will get their butts in gear and update the A2A stuff!

Oh and is there a to set the passengers to under 100LBS? I would love to simulate taking my family out for a cruse, but my son (who is 1 and 1/2) only weighs 25 Lbs!
It's a shame he is classified as "Baggage". . . . :shock:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”