Why do I need to buy P3D version if FSX versions still work?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
ckeating
Airman

Why do I need to buy P3D version if FSX versions still work?

Post by ckeating »

Hi All,

I own the A2A C172 and Cherokee FSX version, and I've moved on to Prepar3d v 3. I installed both of these into Prepar3d by pointing the installer to the prepar3d folder.

My question is - the planes seem to work ok, so what am I missing exactly by not buying the Prepar3d versions? are their certain features that won't work correctly? flight models not accurate?

Just trying to understand, and want to be sure it's necessary to rebuy - as you know it's expensive to rebuy your entire fleet.

I wasn't sure whether to post in the production specific forum - as this question applies to both my A2A C172 and Cherokee...

Thanks in advance..

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Re: Why do I need to buy P3D version if FSX versions still w

Post by Kilstorm »

Well I suppose you could start off with the second word in your post of "own". You do not own the addon but lease it and in doing so agree to not do what you have publicly stated that you did do. Tisk tisk. Now you are wondering if you are missing something so you are now asking for support for a product that is given to those who lease for P3D where you lease one for FSX. Think about that for second. While you are at it think about going to the A2A store, leasing the correct plane for new sim you seem to be moving into since FSX is a thing of the past and then being able to answer your question without having to ask it. As an added bonus you will also be supporting a developer whos product you like so much, you didnt want to leave it behind as you move past FSX.

Geez I wonder what A2A will do with that money that you give them...perhaps use it to stay in business to keep providing more great products for us all! Win win!
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

ckeating
Airman

Post by ckeating »

Point taken. I'll happily buy the addons again, but let me ask the question a different way. For planes that have both FSX and Prepar3d versions, is there any difference in functionality between how the planes function and fly between the FSX and prepar3d versions?

Sorry if you or the developers took offense, that was certainly not my intent and I apologize.

Best regards

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Licensing agreements aside (and all the legal, moral and philosophical debates they cause), I think the best practical reason to get P3D versions for P3D is so that you have access to A2A's fixes as Lockheed-Martin makes changes to the P3D code affecting addon compatibility. But my personal opinion is P3D v3 is about to become obsolete anyhow and v4 is where the real changes will happen.
Last edited by Skycat on 18 Jun 2017, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Skycat wrote:Licensing agreements aside (and the legal, moral aND philosophical debates they cause), I think the best practical reason to get P3D versions for P3D is so that you have access to A2A's fixes as Lockheed-Martin makes changes to the P3D code that may affect addon compatibility. But my personal opinion is P3D v3 is about to become obsolete anyhow and v4 is where the real changes will happen.
I'd say "bite the bullet" and commit yourself to A2A and P3Dv4. I still have FSX on the system but only for the odd Fixer/DX10 issue I could maybe help someone out with - but even that appears to have tailed off now. I haven't actually "flown" it for months.

Since installing (and enjoying) P3Dv4 over my old P3Dv3, I'm more than ever convinced that P3Dv4 is the way to go - and that FSX and other "oddball" sims that have appeared lately will just die a natural death.

Regardless of what features individual A2A aircraft for the different sims may (or not) have, plumping for P3Dv4 and supporting A2A is a win/win. Just by following the odd link or two here, it's obvious that Scott (and family) are *passionate* about aviation in general and A2A. They don't appear to be out there "just for the money". Their devotion ripples all the way down through the company - and is reflected in the quality of its products and the friendliness of its staff. I say *give them your money* LOL!

Adam.
--
Image--Image

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Kilstorm wrote:Well I suppose you could start off with the second word in your post of "own". You do not own the addon but lease it and in doing so agree to not do what you have publicly stated that you did do. Tisk tisk. Now you are wondering if you are missing something so you are now asking for support for a product that is given to those who lease for P3D where you lease one for FSX. Think about that for second. While you are at it think about going to the A2A store, leasing the correct plane for new sim you seem to be moving into since FSX is a thing of the past and then being able to answer your question without having to ask it. As an added bonus you will also be supporting a developer whos product you like so much, you didnt want to leave it behind as you move past FSX.

Geez I wonder what A2A will do with that money that you give them...perhaps use it to stay in business to keep providing more great products for us all! Win win!
Respectfully Kilstorm, I'd like an explanation as to how I am leasing the aircraft that I payed for. I don't want to get an issue going here but maybe I'm not understanding what my money payed for. A quick Google search of "Lease" returns this;

1. a contract by which one party conveys land, property, services, etc., to another for a specified time, usually in return for a periodic payment.

The A2A Conditions of Use agreement states, in part, ... By confirming your purchase at the end of the checkout process, ....

I was unaware that I was to return the planes to A2A at some point in time or make another payment once the contract was up. I'm getting ready to move to P3D v4 from FSX. I know that I will be purchasing the same aircraft that I have already purchased for the new platform and I have no issues with that. A2A products are the best, neh, in a class of their own, and supporting the work they do is of utmost importance. So I don't have a problem with any of what you said here accept the term lease. I was of the understanding that I payed for and received a product. 8)

Respectfully
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Leasing may be the incorrect term. What I believe he means is that you aren't purchasing ownership, only the legal right to use someone else's property. Otherwise, anyone could say "I bought this bit of computer code so now I have the right to redistribute it as I wish, free copies to my friends or sell it on CDs at the local flea market..."

The digital product remains the protected property of A2A. If it came to you delivered on a polycarbonate circular disc, the only thing you would own is the physical medium containing the code and not the code itself.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Skycat wrote:Leasing may be the incorrect term. What I believe he means is that you aren't purchasing ownership, only the legal right to use someone else's property. Otherwise, anyone could say "I bought this bit of computer code so now I have the right to redistribute it as I wish, free copies to my friends or sell it on CDs at the local flea market..."

The digital product remains the protected property of A2A. If it came to you delivered on a polycarbonate circular disc, the only thing you would own is the physical medium containing the code and not the code itself.
Ok, that makes sense. I figured it had to something along those lines. It's legal terminology and the ownership of the code is what is important.

Thank you Sir.
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”