A2A P3D professional and academic product differences.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
kevinh
Airman

A2A P3D professional and academic product differences.

Post by kevinh »

According to the Prepar3D website the only difference between professional and academic versions is the licence terms (and the academic watermark), not the software that is running. So what is the difference between the professional and academic versions of A2A addons for P3D? Is there any restriction on the P3D licence type they can be installed in?

Kevin

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: A2A P3D professional and academic product differences.

Post by Scott - A2A »

kevinh wrote:According to the Prepar3D website the only difference between professional and academic versions is the licence terms (and the academic watermark), not the software that is running.
Yes, it's licensing and we follow the licensing they set forth.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

kevinh
Airman

Post by kevinh »

Thanks Scott.

Specifically, if I purchase the P3D professional licence will your academic licenced addons work with it? Any limitations?

Kevin

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

The academic, professional, and commercial versions are licensing options only. You can mix and match and it will work the same.

For example, a flight school could build a PC based flight sim using Microsoft Flight Simulator X with it's single use entertainment license, and charge for it. While an illegal operation, it would physically work.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

kevinh
Airman

Post by kevinh »

Thanks for confirming that Scott, makes my decision very easy.

Cheers

Kevin

BigT-65
Senior Airman

Post by BigT-65 »

So, if I am just a guy at home with only one flight simulation computer, I don't need the professional version of P3D or the professional versions of any A2A aircraft. Is this true? Will the academic versions of all these products give me the same flying and graphics sensations as the professional versions? From all the explanations I have seen it seems this is true. The cost is the issue. All the professional stuff is considerably more expensive.
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 H.O.T.A.S.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

BigT-65 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 09:48 So, if I am just a guy at home with only one flight simulation computer, I don't need the professional version of P3D or the professional versions of any A2A aircraft. Is this true? Will the academic versions of all these products give me the same flying and graphics sensations as the professional versions? From all the explanations I have seen it seems this is true. The cost is the issue. All the professional stuff is considerably more expensive.
Scott - A2A wrote: 17 Jun 2017, 19:08 The academic, professional, and commercial versions are licensing options only. You can mix and match and it will work the same.

Scott.
Can't say it any plainer than Scott. You buy the licence that covers your personal usage. The only time you need to be careful, is if you intend to use it (P3D) as a tool for commercial or business purposes.

FSX is for entertainment only.

Steve.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Actually you can use either version of P3D, just so long as you don't have any fun while doing it. If you are a student of flight, get the academic version. If somebody is paying you to fly your sim, get the professional version. Just remember not to have any fun! Got that? We never have any fun on our MP flights! :roll:

Seeya
ATB

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Paughco wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 22:14 Actually you can use either version of P3D, just so long as you don't have any fun while doing it. If you are a student of flight, get the academic version. If somebody is paying you to fly your sim, get the professional version. Just remember not to have any fun! Got that? We never have any fun on our MP flights! :roll:

Seeya
ATB
Well first of all, I promise to not have any fun with the sim!! :wink:

Having said that and in now being in the process of making a decision on a path for upgrades, now that A2A has re-fired my interest in flight simulation, would someone be able to show me what the Academic License watermark looks like in the sim? I will not be using it for any professional purposes, but just wondering if the Professional license cost is worth it in my case...if the watermark is really ugly or intrusive, it's probably worth the cost of the Professional license to not have it...
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

As I read the license options:
All P3D licenses is for Training, Instruction, Simulation, Learning, not Personal Consumer Entertainment, like e.g. FSX or Xplane
If you are a Undergraduate Student or a K-12 Student and want to use P3D for training, instruction, simulation and learning, get the Academic License, if you are a Graduate Student or simply want to use P3D for training, instruction, simulation and learning, get the Professional License.

I'm not a student, but I would use P3D for training ans simulation, so I'll have to get the Professional License, when I make the change. for now, I'll just use FSX SE to entertain myself....
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

There's not a single person using P3d who isn't learning something, whether they're trying or not.

If you're learning, you are by definition a student.

Thus, the academic license is appropriate for anyone who isn't using the sim commercially.

I'm still on FSX :D. But, that's the rationale I'm using when I upgrade!

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I sprung for the professional license so I wouldn't have to edit out the watermark from screen shots. I take a lot of screen shots.

Hook

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

Hook wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 20:59 I sprung for the professional license so I wouldn't have to edit out the watermark from screen shots. I take a lot of screen shots.

Hook
I admit I'll probably do the same. It's a super unobtrusive watermark... that would bug the heck out of me ;). Plus, whenever I spring for a hardware upgrade I'll be doing it with an eye towards VR, and I imagine it would REALLY annoy me in VR. But just speaking legally, I feel like anyone not using the software to make money is fine with the academic.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Stearmandriver wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 20:14 If you're learning, you are by definition a student.
Which would in many contexts be incorrect, unless you are enrolled into school. Obviously, being enrolled in a school doesn't mean that one is learning anything (I should know), but still makes one student.

Anyways, LM actually defines rather clearly what they mean by Academic Education, in connection to which the Academic license is to be used (emphasis is mine):
"Academic Education" means education programs for elementary through undergraduate students in fundamental academic disciplines such as science, technology, engineering and math, including history and social sciences related thereto, but NOT in connection with graduate students, professional training or certification of any kind, including, but not limited to, military training, emergency responder training, commercial flight training, private pilot training, air traffic control training, airport ground control/logistics training, driver training or nautical training.
I'm not saying what anyone should be doing, but I'm the biggest fan of selecting ignorance where clear information is readily available.

-Esa

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

All this time I've thought that in the Professional mode the ash trays had to be emptied. :(
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”