A Very Special Anniversary!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

A Very Special Anniversary!

Post by Killratio »

So many years ago now but it seems like yesterday. Absolutely the BEST day of my life.
There is no feeling on earth like your first solo landing!! ;)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: A Very Special Anniversary!

Post by MarcE »

:mrgreen:

So true xD

mattgn
A2A Mechanic

Post by mattgn »

Nice one, that was very funny :)

I think I was too scared to really enjoy mine.
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese"
- G.K. Chesterton.

i7 2600K, 8GB Vengeance RAM, Asus P67, GTX 580.

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Just looked up mine... four and a bit months shy of 20 years ago. I remember it well.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Marc E,

:) :) :)

Matt,

I must admit, I never felt scared in the air. Probably stupidity, on occasion, rather than bravery or competence!!..on the two or three occasions I was in real danger, I was too busy to be scared!!

Mickel,

All jokes aside, I see my first solo was 7th Sept 1997, so near yours. My wife is away for a few days and a facebook post of this was my way of saying "hello". She married me almost exactly 9 years before that. I must admit, I never felt scared in marriage. Probably stupidity, on occasion, rather than bravery or competence :) :) :)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

I was gunna say, the sunset must look great from up there!
ImageImageImage

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

That picture gave me a great laugh and my wife said "what's so funny?" And when I showed her the pict, she clearly didn't find it funny. We are a unique breed :)

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

That we are Scott,

My wife has got very used, over the years, to "Say again?", "Affirm" and "Down and Locked" as answers to questions :)

best

Darryl

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Invader,

There is nothing quite like a sunset from the air, that is for sure.

D

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Killratio wrote:That we are Scott,

My wife has got very used, over the years, to "Say again?", "Affirm" and "Down and Locked" as answers to questions :)

best

Darryl

muahahahahahaha I definitely need to try that xD I guess I'll love the "wtf"-face xD

Bill140A
Airman First Class

Post by Bill140A »

Gosh! This reminded me how old age creeps up on you. I soloed 47 years ago and lost my medical 14 years ago. Had a good run and it was fun.
Bill

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Yeah, definitely brings back memories. I found that I was less scared and more exhilarated when I flew without my instructor because I was aware that it was all up to me to fly the machine, and the knowledge that he wouldn't have let me go up alone unless he was certain I could do it. But mostly, there's a certain exhilaration in flying on your own.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

Like others here.....brings back fond memories. April 17, 1997......Fallbrook, CA. Airpark. 2100 ft runway on top of a little hill that could have some interesting crosswinds. (smile) It was both exciting and a little frightening. (smile) Did one circuit around the park and as I was taxing back in, my instructor told me I could take it around again if I wanted. WHAT??? Sure!!! Took off...left the ground.....and then it hit me.....what the HECK was I doing up here. (smile) My....what I'd give to live those days again.

Cheers,
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

I've found marriage and kids faaar more terrifying than flying.... :P
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I remember my first solo, Feb 2nd 2000 if I recall, Prescott AZ in a 180hp 172N. I remember my first takeoff, I remember the feeling of the plane being much lighter and climbing like a rocket without my instructor on board (he a big guy). I felt like I was holding on to a tiger by the tail. I remember the first few landings were fine, the third landing, I decided to go around after a somewhat bouncy landing, but stupidly yanked all the flaps up right after applying power instead of properly milking the flaps up. I remember the sinking feeling...literally...fortunately the very light Cessna forgave me and climbed anyway after a few moments.

I remember when I first soloed in the Comanche, I felt like the king of the world, like a teenage boy feels behind the wheel of a muscle car.

Good memories. Thanks for the post.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”