Anyone here Bi-lingual (Spanish-English)?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Still Learning
Senior Airman

Anyone here Bi-lingual (Spanish-English)?

Post by Still Learning »

I'm almost fluent in Spanish, but not being a native, I have a couple of questions.

To be continued...

Still Learning
As of 8/14/17 | NZXT S340 Elite | AORUS Gaming 7 Z270 | i7 7770K @4.8 GhZ | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11 GB | 16GB DDR 4 RAM @ 2666 MhZ | Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Anyone here Bi-lingual (Spanish-English)?

Post by Oracle427 »

Technically Spanish is my native tongue, but once I started attending school English quickly took over. I am still able to converse with my family in Spain without too much trouble though my writing skills are weakest.

What sort of question do you have?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Still Learning
Senior Airman

Post by Still Learning »

The "Back Story"

I was looking for check lists for the J41 that I bought 4 years ago, but installed it just the other day.

And I've found what I think is a good checklist written in Spanish. Not a problem. So, I'm going down the list And I get to Cabin Oxygen (which should read 1600 PSI. So, I'm looking all over every inch of the panels to find it, and the worst of it is, I know I've seen it before. So, finally I find it. (And it read 1600 PSI.)

The Relevant Part of the Post

What I want to add is, that it located to the left of the control column (yoke). I would translate it this way:
El indicador del oxígeno está (either ubicado or localizado) al lado izauerda de la palanca de mando.

The online dictionaries also say that palanca de mando is also a joystick. (Is it a joystick or a yoke?) So, I'm a little confused there too. At first blush, I thought it was something like "Levers from send/sending" which of course is enough to make me do mental gymnastics.

But the larger question is, what is the difference between ubicar and localizar and when/how are they used?

I searched Google.com and Google.com.mx, and I think I reached the page where it said "The internet ends here."

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Still Learning
As of 8/14/17 | NZXT S340 Elite | AORUS Gaming 7 Z270 | i7 7770K @4.8 GhZ | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11 GB | 16GB DDR 4 RAM @ 2666 MhZ | Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB

Euan Emblin
Airman First Class

Post by Euan Emblin »

I believe that ubicar denotes the position where an object is placed, in the geographical sense, and localizar expresses the action of finding that object. The former is the passive voice whereas the latter is the active.

Jorge Bach
Airman First Class

Post by Jorge Bach »

In aeronautical terms from Spain:
El indicador de oxígeno está ubicado a la izquierda del bastón de mando (if it is a joystick or control bar)
also is valid:
El indicador de oxígeno está ubicado a la izquierda del bastón

If it is a yoke:
El indicador de oxígeno está ubicado a la izquierda de los cuernos

Localizar, as correctly said Euan Emblin is to find. Also may be localization in a geographic scale.

Kind regards = Saludos cordiales ;-)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Late to the party, but agree with what was said. Ubicado is correct to use here.

Palanca de mando sounded wrong to be, but my Spanish aviation vocabulary is very limited, I wouldn't have guesses cuernos. Cuernos is an interesting name as it invokes the "horns" of the yoke.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

CamAir
Airman

Post by CamAir »

If it is a joystick:
"El indicador de oxígeno está ubicado a la izquierda del bastón de mando"

If it is a yoke:
"El indicador de oxígeno está ubicado a la izquierda de los cuernos"

Also, regardless of type:
"El indicador de oxígeno está ubicado a la izquierda del control de mando"

Still Learning
Senior Airman

Post by Still Learning »

CamAir wrote:If it is a joystick:
"El indicador de oxígeno está ubicado a la izquierda del bastón de mando"

If it is a yoke:
"El indicador de oxígeno está ubicado a la izquierda de los cuernos"

Also, regardless of type:
"El indicador de oxígeno está ubicado a la izquierda del control de mando"

I have to say, that palanca de mando didn't sound right to me either. Los cuernos, in my mind, matches up beautifully with the visualization of a control yoke.

Thanks for the help.

Still Learning

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”