CH Products Throttle Quadrant

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

CH Products Throttle Quadrant

Post by afcraig2010 »

I'm thinking about getting the CH Products Throttle Quadrant to give me all six axis. I currently have the Saitek Cessna Yoke which came with a throttle quadrant (not USB) and those pits are already showing a lot of control spiking. My second Saitek throttle quadrant is still running fine but now I only have three axis. I also got the Saitek TPM (push pull throttle quadrant) but that only supports single engine flying, and it's huge. It's also very high quality switches and controls, very different from the rest of the Saitek range.

To help fund my purchase of the CH quadrant, I was going to sell my Saitek TPM which has hardly seen any use and it's just been sitting. (I don't fly with the yoke anymore for GA because it's just not as good control resolution as the CH fighterstick, so therefore I don't use the TPM at all).

Figured I'd ask here if anyone wanted to buy my TPM before I put it on Amazon. (and I just looked at Amazon and it appears none are available)

*EDIT* I've been seeing mixed reviews for the CH quadrant on Amazon. Does anyone have the CH quadrant? Is it too sensitive to fly multi engine accurately? (one of the complaints) Does it do full idle to full throttle smoothly?
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: CH Products Throttle Quadrant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have a CH yoke/rudder peddles over 14 yrs young still going stronge , and i retired my single CH quad throttle unit last year , due to levers getting a bit loose , but pots still worked , that unit is now my spare unit and was about 12 years young , and have replaced it with two CH quad throttles , this allows me full control of aircraft like A2A B17/B377 and connie , i can highly recommend them , only down side , is a small lever movement , which means gentle small movements are needed .
As for your Saitek TPM , if its still working , use it for other things like cowl flaps and things , they are worth keeping.
regards alan. 8)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

afcraig2010 wrote:I'm thinking about getting the CH Products Throttle Quadrant to give me all six axis. I currently have the Saitek Cessna Yoke which came with a throttle quadrant (not USB) and those pits are already showing a lot of control spiking. My second Saitek throttle quadrant is still running fine but now I only have three axis. I also got the Saitek TPM (push pull throttle quadrant) but that only supports single engine flying, and it's huge. It's also very high quality switches and controls, very different from the rest of the Saitek range.

To help fund my purchase of the CH quadrant, I was going to sell my Saitek TPM which has hardly seen any use and it's just been sitting. (I don't fly with the yoke anymore for GA because it's just not as good control resolution as the CH fighterstick, so therefore I don't use the TPM at all).

Figured I'd ask here if anyone wanted to buy my TPM before I put it on Amazon. (and I just looked at Amazon and it appears none are available)

*EDIT* I've been seeing mixed reviews for the CH quadrant on Amazon. Does anyone have the CH quadrant? Is it too sensitive to fly multi engine accurately? (one of the complaints) Does it do full idle to full throttle smoothly?
I use a CH Quad and have no issues at all. The main complaint concerning the Quad is the short throw. Anyone even remotely familiar with how a throttle should be used in an airplane should have no trouble at all with that.
Power is ALWAYS used gently and using the hand in a vernier fashion so the "throw" if the throttle is used correctly in the sim is a non-issue..........for a properly trained pilot anyway. :-))))))))
Dudley Henriques

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I have 4 Saitek quadrants (including the one that came with my Cessna-yoke). I have used them for years with only the littlest of spiking (but FSUIPC can deal with this).

Now, my TPM is the one I use for the 4 GA-planes, but whenever A2A comes with a twin I'll have to get something else.
https://www.virtual-fly.com/en/shop/con ... n-for-real

These are what I intend to get.

If you can get good money from your TPM, put them to good use to get something really good.
However, if you can afford getting a good 6-lever quadrant while holding on to the TPM, I'd think that would be better. The TPM is so good, and keeps the immersion - I don't use levers for plunger-engine controls for example. I also never use a stick for a yoke-plane and vice versa.

I think I read a while back that Dudley have the CH quadrant, but I don't know if he likes it.
For me it looks too small to be useful - almost like the levers on the CH yoke...
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Medtner wrote:I have 4 Saitek quadrants (including the one that came with my Cessna-yoke). I have used them for years with only the littlest of spiking (but FSUIPC can deal with this).

Now, my TPM is the one I use for the 4 GA-planes, but whenever A2A comes with a twin I'll have to get something else.
https://www.virtual-fly.com/en/shop/con ... n-for-real

These are what I intend to get.

If you can get good money from your TPM, put them to good use to get something really good.
However, if you can afford getting a good 6-lever quadrant while holding on to the TPM, I'd think that would be better. The TPM is so good, and keeps the immersion - I don't use levers for plunger-engine controls for example. I also never use a stick for a yoke-plane and vice versa.

I think I read a while back that Dudley have the CH quadrant, but I don't know if he likes it.
For me it looks too small to be useful - almost like the levers on the CH yoke...
The levers are not as tall as the Saitek but are taller than those on the CH Yoke. I find the CH unit usable with no issues.
It's not the best looking 6 axis by a long shot but it does serviceable work.
I've toyed around with getting a high end throttle but so far the CH works well. After all, if it works and the 6 axis' are smooth and not spiking, the only advantage to the higher end unit is in the realism aspect.
DH

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

I just tried out a different setup with my stick and TPM with the Saitek trim installed on the left lower face of the TPM and I actually like it quite a bit for all the A2A single engine GA flying. I guess I'll hold on to it.

I figured the pots/pits on the CH throttle would be a lot better than the Saitek throttle, so I'll look at getting the CH throttle eventually when a good GA twin rolls around *cough cough A2A*
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

afcraig2010 wrote:I just tried out a different setup with my stick and TPM with the Saitek trim installed on the left lower face of the TPM and I actually like it quite a bit for all the A2A single engine GA flying. I guess I'll hold on to it.

I figured the pots/pits on the CH throttle would be a lot better than the Saitek throttle, so I'll look at getting the CH throttle eventually when a good GA twin rolls around *cough cough A2A*
I'll just suggest you hang on to that 6 axis throttle. It might come in handy some day soon.
DH

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

I just ordered it from Amazon. Free one day shipping. I can always return it within 30 days. Might as well try it out. I'm sure I'll love it :)
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

afcraig2010 wrote:I just ordered it from Amazon. Free one day shipping. I can always return it within 30 days. Might as well try it out. I'm sure I'll love it :)
I like Amazon for the same reason.
Good luck with the throttle. If you have any issues at all, just call CH and ask for Ben. Should work fine out of the box.
Just make sure after you plug it in that you check ALL your other controllers in your settings for duplicate axis assignments. For the CH throttle, clear out all axis and button assignments you see there then reassign each axis in the order you want them.
DH

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

LOL - six axis quadrant some day "soon"...

Nicely played...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

I'm very excited for the future :) Can't wait for that GA ME plane. I was always hoping for the 172 to release before I was done with PPL training but that didn't happen. Now I hope this ME plane arrives before I start ME training.
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

afcraig2010 wrote:I'm very excited for the future :) Can't wait for that GA ME plane. I was always hoping for the 172 to release before I was done with PPL training but that didn't happen. Now I hope this ME plane arrives before I start ME training.
Hang in. There are good things coming!
DH

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
afcraig2010 wrote:I'm very excited for the future :) Can't wait for that GA ME plane. I was always hoping for the 172 to release before I was done with PPL training but that didn't happen. Now I hope this ME plane arrives before I start ME training.
Hang in. There are good things coming!
DH
Always with the teasing... :-P
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

Let me plant a dream in everyone's head for tonight:

Waking up on the morning of the 30th, download P3D v4, download A2A GA twin, ready to go for v4.
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

afcraig2010 wrote:Let me plant a dream in everyone's head for tonight:

Waking up on the morning of the 30th, download P3D v4, download A2A GA twin, ready to go for v4.
That's mean! :-P
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”