Sail Away Simulator...Accusim for Sailing?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Hey guys,
Lately, I've been enjoying the new Sail Away Simulator that's been out for about a month (still early access). I am not a real world sailor at all, other than a few stints with windsurfing when I was younger. From what I've experienced so far, SAS really lets you get into the finer details of sailing...almost like what Accusim does for virtual flying. If you have an interest in aerodynamics, there is a lot in common, as a modern sail is essentially an airfoil. Its really need to play with the trim settings in order to get the ideal 'airfoil' for the given conditions.

I find the sailing to be relaxing, yet at the same time requiring a certain level of focus. Funny thing is, you can also scare the crap out of yourself by putting yourself in heavy seas at night. When I sailed in a heavy storm, I actually got a little queasy...I can only imagine what SAS would be like on VR.

Anyway, if any of you are interested in sailing, I highly recommend this simulator. It is still early access, but it appears to have a lot of potential. I really hope it succeeds. If you are on SAS too, see you out there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uv4XfLMeWc[/youtube]

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Re: Sail Away Simulator...Accusim for Sailing?

Post by Taka taka »

There has been something called Virtual Sailor, now Vehicle Simulator that is more of the same. And like FSX there are many online boats available, payware, freebies etc.
"Spring Chicken to Shite Hawk in one easy lesson...taka taka taka taka..."

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Vehicle simulator is actually quite cool for what it is. DO NOT expect accusim from it, but it has good fluid dynamics especially for gliders and ultralights, which is not surprising considering its earliest roots are a sim by the same author called hangsim. Ilan was a hang glider pilot and aero engineer. Virtual sailor also has what you describe, regarding trimming of sails and such to make best use of the airfoil. After hangsim, and alongside Virtual Sailor was a flightsim called Microflight. The current Vehicle Simulator is basically everything from his line of simulators, all rolled up in one, which is kind of cool. For example, it brings the water buoyancy modeling to the flight sim side, which makes for great float plane takeoffs and landings. Ilan also owns SimSquared, which is his commercial, training line of simulations, custom tailored for use with large scale commercial simulators, specifically ship bridge simulations for captain training. This line shares the same vehicle simulator / virtual sailor engine, and the entertainment sims do I think benefit from requirements from his commercial product line.

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Reminds me of Virtual Skipper.

Pierced Brosmen
Airman

Post by Pierced Brosmen »

I've tried out Sailaway and I like what they have made of it so far. However I find sailing on open sea to be kinda boring. As a Norwegian, I like to sail through the fjords and at the moment, there is a lot of improvements needed with regards to that area. Most notably better height and depth mesh data. Sailing in familiar waters would be vastly improved if I could actually recognize the surroundings. And running aground in the middle of a fjord where I know it is at least 50 meters deep, is kinda annoying.

However, I'm positive and will follow the development. It can only improve :)
Rune Soltveit

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Too bad there wasnt a simulator world where you could sail or fly depending on your mood. And multiplayer could consist of both. Some people in ships and some in the air
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Hi n421nj,

There is indeed, it is the 'Vehicle Simulator' I mentioned in my post. It is the latest in a line of both flight and sailing simulations, and it allows ground and orbital, and even submarine vehicles as well. As I said in my post, don't expect accusim, it is not in there. However, there are very nice fluid dynamics, including physics details such as thermals and ridge lift. In this area, it is a very good simulator, and probably better than fsx or xplane for ultralight aircraft. It has multiplayer, where you can race, war game, etc. It is a fun sim, as long as you accept it for what it is. It is no competitor for A2A, but it is a really fun general vehicle simulator sandbox, and it is also very easy to cobble together your own creations, even from directly inside the sim using existing parts, or you can create your own from scratch.

I am not sure if I should directly post a link here in A2A forums, but it should be easy enough to search and find. Again though, it is no competitor in my view for A2A, or even FSX or X-Plane, but a very different product.

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Also, just to mention, there are tanks, battleships, and of course fighters, and you name it if multiplayer combat is your cup'o'tea.
It is not super complex, and is no DCS killer either, but fun in its own way.

Regards,
Dave

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Seems promising - used to rent 32 or 36 foot Catalina's with the guys I worked with in San Diego - and yep - you sure can have some adrenaline moments as a rag sailor... One time we passed the Americas Cup hard sail cat coming in because it was too rough for them to practice and we were on our way out - biggest waves I've ever seen in San Diego - we were taking green water over the bow as soon as we cleared Point Loma - it was a hoot... I haven't been on one in twenty years though - truly miss it... LOL - too many interests - not enough cash...

I'll have to try this sim to see what I remember - thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

That seems to be how it is with a lot of simulators, the more 'multi-vehicle' they are, the less sophisticated the vehicles. Kinda like in FSX, sailplanes are ok, but they are quite a bit better in SOAR which is dedicated to soaring. SailAway Simulator seems to be focused on sophisticated Blue Water Sailing simulation. If Virtual Sailor is like FSX, I would say SAS is like SOAR. Second Life is the total opposite. There you can pretty much do anything, fly, sail, drive, go to night clubs...etc...however the 'simulation' aspect is quite simplistic. Funny tho in SL, Sailing is the one vehicle hobby that at least attempts some sophistication.

SAS definitely teaches you about sailing, like the names of all the various trimming lines. There are plenty of them lol, tho not all the boats have the same lines. I like being able to set a trip, start the trip, then log out, and have it follow the course. Right now I am trying the week long 'challenge' through the Bering Sea. I had to set trip points that would allow for tacking.

Hopefully SAS will continue to grow, with more boat choices, and will develop a boat damage model and the 'survival' aspect, along more detailed landmarks, improved depth accuracy..etc.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Turner
Airman

Post by Turner »

Look really good so far - thanks for the lead!

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Yes and for future advances don't forget the other salutary points of sailing:

1: Permanently cold and wet, and the smell of soggy socks. I find a bucket on a strong tipped over the head at regular intervals really serves realism.
2: At the same time, a smell of burning ten pound notes, or just put them in a weighted sack and drop them over the side. Strange how a boat can burn so much cash, but still leave you 1:
3: Substandard food for days at a time, and water that tastes funny. With all that money, they can't make tinned food palatable?
4: The smell of neighbouring fishing boats - or is that neighbouring fishermen?
5: And lest we forget the luxury yacht end of the market: How small your 100- footer feels when you are berthed alongside a 280-foot megayacht, and they persist in coming and going by helicopter at 4am in the morning. And the only thing you know is bigger is your tax bill, because megayacht owners don't pay tax.
:mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”