Friday fun - What do you drive?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Friday fun - What do you drive?

Post by jcblom »

Here's mine:Image
2002 Peugeot 406 Coupé
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

lonewulf47 wrote:Tesla Model S90D and BMW i3 ( 96 Ah, no rex). So - like roadburner - burning no more fuel at all... :D 8)
Well, not strictly true. The electric car lie is that the power is green, when in fact Germany has had to re-commission dirty old oil- and coal-fired power stations to meet the increased power demand of fast chargers and battery-powered vehicles. While you are in Switzerland, you can hardly fail to be aware that German emissions have actually INCREASED as a result of a policy shift toward regenerative power such as solar & wind. Reason is that those sources are not able to deliver in a consistent, persistent manner, so have to be complemented by less efficient smaller stations and continued use of old tech.

Same here in the UK- govungment has launched a virulent anti-diesel policy (after promoting diesels over petrol for the last 15-20 years) and now lauds the benefit of switching to electric, all the while failing to deliver on new infrastructure projects to feed the Grid. In consequence, an electric car user in the UK is likely `filling up` on French Nuclear power - with the 6 stations that feed our grid through Interconnectors under the Channel being old, dated technology. And still nuclear... :|

If the UK gov achieves its stated objective of 1 million electric cars registered by 2020, our lights go out.
I suppose that's green, in the strictest sense - like living in mud huts and using a horse and cart. :roll:

The naivety of electric car users stuns me. That being said, Tesla has at least begun to offset its (literally) all-consuming battery tech by promoting new solar panels that look like roof tiles and can be integrated into normal construction and their Powerwall tech may allow your car to power your house, or cheap power to feed peak demand on the Grid.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

mallcott wrote:
lonewulf47 wrote:Tesla Model S90D and BMW i3 ( 96 Ah, no rex). So - like roadburner - burning no more fuel at all... :D 8)
Well, not strictly true. The electric car lie is that the power is green, when in fact Germany has had to re-commission dirty old oil- and coal-fired power stations to meet the increased power demand of fast chargers and battery-powered vehicles. While you are in Switzerland, you can hardly fail to be aware that German emissions have actually INCREASED as a result of a policy shift toward regenerative power such as solar & wind. Reason is that those sources are not able to deliver in a consistent, persistent manner, so have to be complemented by less efficient smaller stations and continued use of old tech.

Same here in the UK- govungment has launched a virulent anti-diesel policy (after promoting diesels over petrol for the last 15-20 years) and now lauds the benefit of switching to electric, all the while failing to deliver on new infrastructure projects to feed the Grid. In consequence, an electric car user in the UK is likely `filling up` on French Nuclear power - with the 6 stations that feed our grid through Interconnectors under the Channel being old, dated technology. And still nuclear... :|

If the UK gov achieves its stated objective of 1 million electric cars registered by 2020, our lights go out.
I suppose that's green, in the strictest sense - like living in mud huts and using a horse and cart. :roll:

The naivety of electric car users stuns me. That being said, Tesla has at least begun to offset its (literally) all-consuming battery tech by promoting new solar panels that look like roof tiles and can be integrated into normal construction and their Powerwall tech may allow your car to power your house, or cheap power to feed peak demand on the Grid.
Thanks for declaring me naive. Old story short: those conspiracy theories are outdated by ages and will not gain more truth by repeating them indefinitly. One thing however must be repeated again and again: electric energy is environmentally sustainable and can ALWAYS be produced by any ecologically friendly means while fossil energy is definitely NOT.

And BTW, I don't think that this thread should be misused for pro's and con's of electric mobility!
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

lonewulf47 wrote:
mallcott wrote:

Thanks for declaring me naive. Old story short: those conspiracy theories are outdated by ages and will not gain more truth by repeating them indefinitly. One thing however must be repeated again and again: electric energy is environmentally sustainable and can ALWAYS be produced by any ecologically friendly means while fossil energy is definitely NOT.

And BTW, I don't think that this thread should be misused for pro's and con's of electric mobility!
So why lie about `no fuel at all` in the first place? Such a mis-statement forced the correction. Clearly you aspire to some ecological high ground. My reply simply affirms you aren't there yet.
Or else I might next have to highlight the tonnage of sod and rock that has to be removed to access the Lithium used in the batteries and the energy intensive processes used to transport and progress the raw material into battery form.

Lets get back to cars.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”