DTG Flight Sim World...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

DTG Flight Sim World...

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Hey guys.... I have been looking at DTG FSW lately out of curiosity and the first thing that caught my attention was the fact that they talk about forcing 3rd Party Devs to sell stuff on Steam.. which seems to imply a "cut" to Valve and DTG... So I was seriously feeling down from then on.. Bye bye A2A, ORBX, PMDG and Majestic..... but reading the official Alpha feature.. I saw that:

Integration of Accu-Feelâ„¢ technology

That got me like.. Holy cow! We might see some A2A Magic in this coming x64 sim.. (Please don't get started on the x64 brings nothing to the sim perf... We've heard it.. and I even explained it a few time, but I'm a bit tired of managing slider and addons to avoir the OOM even in 3.4, which is much better)

So big question to A2A guys here... Are you guys working on some port to this FSW??????

Please tease us!

bucky60
Airman

Re: DTG Flight Sim World...

Post by bucky60 »

stephan.cote.1 wrote:I saw that:

Integration of Accu-Feelâ„¢ technology

So big question to A2A guys here... Are you guys working on some port to this FSW??????

Please tease us!
64 bit does make a difference.

I really hope someone gets back to you on this. I'd really hate to lose my A2A aircraft, but if FSW gets me away from having to work my way out of OOM's.......
I saw that accufeel was part of FSW and just like you, it gave me hope.

If interfacing is too major an effort, I'd understand if A2A doesn't. It would be nice to know if they have looked at this and have an idea whether they will or not.

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Yeah..I'm sure we'll get a response from Louis or someone else...
Now, I just reviewed my post after reading your answer and realized I was not super clear on one point...

I will not walk away from A2A or any other 3rd party products of similar quality.. Its kind of the oposite for me.. If A2A cannot get into FSW in a "fair way" (Commercially viable for A2A) then DTG is not gonna get my business....
That being said since I bought Flight School when it came out I think i'm granted a free version of FSW but this could very well be the end of my business with them...

A2A is probably the best thing that happened to Warbird and GA virtual airmen in the last 20 years of simulation and for this reason, I will never turn my back on them...

Once you've been Accusimed, there is no way back..... Same with VR and find and god those A2A cockpits shine in VR!!!

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

First off, let me just say that I'm not an expert, so I don't know what I'm talking about. It's just opinion.

It looks to me like there should be a great deal of backwards compatibility with FSX. They changed some of the code and interface, but the changes don't look dramatic enough to make me think that current add-ons are completely incompatible. Some stuff has indeed changed, like the rain effect on windows. That effect is supposed to be global and automatically applied to all glass surfaces. So it might be that one of the changes needed when porting content over is to properly define glass surfaces. So I'm optimistic that the flight model hasn't changed all that much.

And when it comes to content, the deal will probably be the same as for their train sim and for FSX:SE. Official add-ons will be found on Steam, and everything else will not be officially supported, but it will work anyways. New users will have no complaints about this and they will like the Steam method for content. Old users are currently complaining about this, but since FSX:SE uses the same system, it won't last long.

My opinion is that if they don't stray too far away from the current models they're using, the addon community won't be massively affected. And as long as they plan on including simconnect functionality, porting an add-on from FSX to FSW should be pretty easy. At most, it will be like porting to P3D.

We'll all be fine, is my opinion.

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

cristi.neagu wrote:First off, let me just say that I'm not an expert, so I don't know what I'm talking about. It's just opinion.

It looks to me like there should be a great deal of backwards compatibility with FSX. They changed some of the code and interface, but the changes don't look dramatic enough to make me think that current add-ons are completely incompatible. Some stuff has indeed changed, like the rain effect on windows. That effect is supposed to be global and automatically applied to all glass surfaces. So it might be that one of the changes needed when porting content over is to properly define glass surfaces. So I'm optimistic that the flight model hasn't changed all that much.

And when it comes to content, the deal will probably be the same as for their train sim and for FSX:SE. Official add-ons will be found on Steam, and everything else will not be officially supported, but it will work anyways. New users will have no complaints about this and they will like the Steam method for content. Old users are currently complaining about this, but since FSX:SE uses the same system, it won't last long.

My opinion is that if they don't stray too far away from the current models they're using, the addon community won't be massively affected. And as long as they plan on including simconnect functionality, porting an add-on from FSX to FSW should be pretty easy. At most, it will be like porting to P3D.

We'll all be fine, is my opinion.

This sounds reassuring... and pretty well explain for "some one who is not and expert" ;)
Thanx for the input! Much appreciated...

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Well, I'm just logically working through what info I know. And the "not an expert" thing was there precisely to prevent you from being reassured. I have no idea if my speculation is correct. It looks to me like the flight model is the same, and it certainly makes sense to me that it would be so, but they could have changed it massively. We can't know until it's out.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

The question is are they still going to strong arm 3rd party devs into giving up some of their profit? It would be a big mistake if they did. Without 3rd party developers the sim will not succeed.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

I don't think they're forcing anyone to do anything. They just said that for an add-on to be officially recognized and supported, it needs to be released via Steam. That is currently the case both with Train Simulator and FSX:SE. PMDG are not currently official partners of Dovetail or Microsoft, developing official add-ons for FSX. They will probably have the same status towards FSW that they currently have towards FSX.

Dovetail know how much money FSX add-ons generate. That's why they want to pull in developers to their side. But they also know that the only reason FSX and FS9 are still alive to this day is because of add-ons. As such, i really don't think they'll restrict allowable content only to Steam. That will be immediate suicide, and they know it. So i really wouldn't worry about it. Give it a while after release, and quality add-ons will start showing up.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

cristi.neagu wrote:First off, let me just say that I'm not an expert, so I don't know what I'm talking about. It's just opinion.
:D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Ron Attwood wrote: :D
Well, it's true!

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

cristi.neagu wrote:I don't think they're forcing anyone to do anything. They just said that for an add-on to be officially recognized and supported, it needs to be released via Steam. That is currently the case both with Train Simulator and FSX:SE. PMDG are not currently official partners of Dovetail or Microsoft, developing official add-ons for FSX. They will probably have the same status towards FSW that they currently have towards FSX.

Dovetail know how much money FSX add-ons generate. That's why they want to pull in developers to their side. But they also know that the only reason FSX and FS9 are still alive to this day is because of add-ons. As such, i really don't think they'll restrict allowable content only to Steam. That will be immediate suicide, and they know it. So i really wouldn't worry about it. Give it a while after release, and quality add-ons will start showing up.
Also, note that even "official" addons can still be released on the developer's personal website, so the only sales that would be giving up a portion of the proceeds would be the ones published THRU Steam, which makes sense because in that case Valve is paying for the hosting and processing anyway.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

So did anyone get this? I'm waiting for a bit before I buy I it, especially since I'm out of space after FSX devoured most of my SSD space. New SSD goes in this weekend. From the reviews it doesn't sound great, but it does sound like an early access game.

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

Yes I have it. I got it free as I had flight school but I'd have bought it anyway as I believe it could be the fsx successor.

Despite the noise from the internet it is like an early access fsx with some good improvements.
Think of it like fsx+.
You either stick with 32bit or buy 64bit add ons for this and p3d when they are out. 32bit will not move forward any more and I think this might go somewhere. There is always the chance it might fail but they are committed to the long term and I've spent more on a single airport in the past.

Have a read of this review. It is about the most balanced I have seen anywhere.
http://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/je ... bs-fsw.htm

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

i've got it, and i'm actually pretty impressed with what they've done, theres a fair few niggles (to be expect for early access), but overall, i like it! Its definitely one to watch.

Dont believe the reviews saying how terrible the performance is either, their just trolling, the performance is no worse than FSX/P3d, and in my case it actually better!

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

That is certainly good news!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”