which simulator

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
aaadodger
Airman

which simulator

Post by aaadodger »

hello everybody, question. What is the future simulator of this hobby ,FSX,p3,fsx steam,etc.. I have about 4 to $5000 in after market, is it time too start migrating? i have fsx gold right now.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: which simulator

Post by Paughco »

I have flown many versions of MS Flight Sim. Bought a new computer from JetLine last November. They recommended P3D. I now have P3D v3, and I'm not lookin' back. All my A2A aircraft are working fine, even the J-3 and the P-40. ORBX is working fine. AS16 is fine, so long as I leave the Enhanced Turbulence off. P3D is where it's at. Only way I'd switch to anything from here is if I was totally sure that my A2A aircraft would be better than they are now.

Seeya
ATB

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

We're at a bit of a crossroads right now. I would say that FSX is pretty much dying a slow death right now. It's still the de facto platform, but P3D is overtaking fast. The big unknown is Flight Sim World. Right now, I would hold off doing any sort of platform change and see what FSW has to offer.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Yeah I have been waiting and watching. I am thinking P3D will be the final answer, but who really knows. Doesn't seem to me FSX is dying off quite yet as there are still many add-ons coming out across the board for it. Now if something major happens like the very rumored 64bit P3D that might be a huge game changer. I don't think that is on the horizon quite yet though. I keep looking at P3D though, and then keep talking myself back off the ledge. :lol: One of these days I think I am going to wind up caving in even though my brain and common sense keep telling me to wait a little longer to see if things take a more definite direction. I am firmly in the camp of when A2A and PMDG make some decision on what their direction is going to be that is where I am going to follow.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

FSW has some good things going for it. ORBX scenery out of the box, 64bit, maybe some FSX compatibility mod-wise (wishful thinking, but one can hope). And even though PMDG were quite firm about the Steam store, they can still make mods for FSW, they just won't be "official". I would say that at this point it's Dovetail who should wish they were officially partnered with PMDG, not the other way around.

So I'm kinda hoping FSW is what we've been waiting for ages, especially with P3D's dodgy licensing scheme.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Yeah FSW looks good. However I have never played train simulator (been looking at Train Sim World also), and seeing what people have said about them charging for everything has made me kind of leery on both fronts. Is why I am resisting the urge and waiting. Cause I only want to migrate once and then go back to enjoying the simulator. Plus people say once you go P3D going back to FSX is impossible. Their licensing scheme I do find fishy as well. That was my initial barrier to switching over when I originally was going to, and even all this time later there is no 100% clarification. I think as more people make the choice they will hopefully make it clearer. Any questioning or mentioning of the licensing on their forums seems to be shut down immediately after the people are just referred back to the chart of the different licensing options. Luckily for the time being I am happy with FSX as it looks and performs better than ever, so not really in any type of time crunch. When the right platform comes along I will switch when it is time.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Well, Dovetail charging money for everything is no different than the current situation with flight simming in general. You want a train/plane or route/airport, you have to generally pay for it. The prices are similar, the difference being that trains are restricted to rails, so a flight sim addon feels like more bang for the buck. Still, mods for train sim can be found on other sites than Steam, with the difference being that Steam mods are officially recognized.

This business model has bad results in train sims because, as I said before, the add-ons are very restrictive by nature and don't have a great deal of replayability. We'll just have to wait and see what they​ come up with.

And in regards to P3D licensing, that's exactly why I chose FSX too.

CrownCityMisfit
Senior Airman

Post by CrownCityMisfit »

cristi.neagu wrote:We're at a bit of a crossroads right now. I would say that FSX is pretty much dying a slow death right now. It's still the de facto platform, but P3D is overtaking fast. The big unknown is Flight Sim World. Right now, I would hold off doing any sort of platform change and see what FSW has to offer.
This is how I see it as well.
10900k | 3090 | Win10 | C4D | Adobe Suite | Cinema 4D | Unity
MSFS |The Skypark | Orbx | Milviz | PMDG | anxiously waiting for A2A
Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | CH Pro Pedals |Stream Deck XL

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I don't get the 'FSX is dying' bit. FSX with Steve's DX10 Fixer looks and behaves bloody well. Providing you don't keep poking at it with tweak upon tweak. OK, I've gone over to P3D for no other reason other than the fact that I have it! It does a few minor things better but nothing 'Game changing'.(I still hate the UI, especially the aircraft selection) FSW won't do anything substantially better either. Nice raindrops though. :)
Ah but it's 64bit I hear you say. No more OOMs. Maybe so, but given the nature of flight simmers they'll break something else. :D I believe people will quickly come to realise that 64bit is not the panacea they think it will be.
Interesting times eh?
Oh, I hear tell that FS9 STILL has a great following.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

If FSW and P3D​ are going where everyone hopes they're going, then FSX will lose a lot of people. Of course, it might turn out that FSW will have a business model so bad that it's economic suicide to try to mod it, and P3D will finally make up its mind about licensing, and decide they want to be commercial only. Then we're all back to FSX. But I do have to agree that right now there's not much wrong with FSX. I'm running it with ORBX scenery, almost maxed out sliders, and never even got close to an OOM.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

From the sounds of FSW so far it doesnt look promising.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

Ron Attwood wrote:I don't get the 'FSX is dying' bit. FSX with Steve's DX10 Fixer looks and behaves bloody well. Providing you don't keep poking at it with tweak upon tweak. OK, I've gone over to P3D for no other reason other than the fact that I have it! It does a few minor things better but nothing 'Game changing'.(I still hate the UI, especially the aircraft selection) FSW won't do anything substantially better either. Nice raindrops though. :)
Ah but it's 64bit I hear you say. No more OOMs. Maybe so, but given the nature of flight simmers they'll break something else. :D I believe people will quickly come to realise that 64bit is not the panacea they think it will be.
Interesting times eh?
Oh, I hear tell that FS9 STILL has a great following.
Ron, I couldn't have said it better myself. Steve's DX10 Fixer was/is awesome, however, I had a couple issues between it and aircraft I fly on a VERY regular basis so I don't use it much.

The P3D thing.....well.....don't want to drudge up old arguments etc., however, for the life of me I still cannot quite get my head around the licensing thing. No matter which way I want to say it.....I use flight simming strictly as an entertainment vehicle. I gave up my license and flying a VERY long time ago when it become too expensive to continue for entertainment purposes. I know I've talked to several individuals that "claim" to be students of aviation......bottom line.....it's me that has to look at my ugly mug in the mirror every morning and for me.....I just can't swallow that pill. The P3D Eula is pretty clear and I just double checked to be sure:

1. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this EULA, Licensor hereby grants Licensee a nontransferable, nonsublicenseable, nonexclusive license during the Term of this
EULA to use the Software: (1) on a single computer, (2) by no more than one user at any one time, (3) in connection with Academic Education, (4) by students, instructors and staff
associated with Licensee's Academic Education, (5) in the Territory, and (6) for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment.

I've recently purchased XP-11......was never a big fan of XPlane in the past, but I'm rather enjoying this new (64-bit) version of XP. Runs EXTREMELY well on my machine and the night flights are awesome. I tend to use XPlane for my helicopter flights and FSX for everything else.

Lastly......Whoa......just found the joys of Oculus Rift and FSX!!!! Using FSX-Steam and with everything cranked I'm still turning out about 50fps. The 3d cockpit is wonderful and with "touch" .....I use the left hand to flip switches etc., but still use my joystick. Haven't quite gotten use to using only touch to control the yoke etc., although it is supported....just doesn't seem right. The only drawback I've found thus far......I tried the A2A Texan last evening and had a lot of "flashing" around the edges of the goggles that drove me nuts. However, the Comanche works like a dream. Found out last evening that using "Touch" I can actually touch the GPS (Flightsim GN750) and it will open in a suspended window which I can manipulate and move around. I'm assuming I can do the same with the checklist and perhaps even A2A map etc. Ahhh......new horizons to investigate!!!!

So... for me FSX is still very much alive and well. I have enough "add-on" aircraft and scenery to last me the rest of my life I suppose......and now with Oculus......New places to explore. Did I mention that VR Night Flying is AMAZING!!! The stars....the moon.....okay....time to go play!!

Cheers,
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I'm not allowed out after dark. :(

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

n421nj wrote:From the sounds of FSW so far it doesnt look promising.
The wonderful thing about the flight simming 'community' is that a lot of people have very firm ideas based on very little actual knowledge. I long since given up buying add-on aircraft based on the 'fantastic', 'marvellous' 'must have' 'game changer' and so on ad nauseum. A2A excepted of course.

So let's wait and see what is presented then have an opinion. If you were daft enough to buy Flight School (I was :roll: ) it's a freebee anyway.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Ron Attwood wrote:The wonderful thing about the flight simming 'community' is that a lot of people have very firm ideas based on very little actual knowledge. I long since given up buying add-on aircraft based on the 'fantastic', 'marvellous' 'must have' 'game changer' and so on ad nauseum. A2A excepted of course.

So let's wait and see what is presented then have an opinion. If you were daft enough to buy Flight School (I was :roll: ) it's a freebee anyway.
Amen to that. (Even though I'm one of the people with an opinion...)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”